Engine casing polishing service/gearbox repairs etc!

RE-OPENED :)
Janz
Rides:: The GhettoCub

Engine casing polishing service/gearbox repairs etc!

Post by Janz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:49 am

Fellas, I'm feeling the post Christmas austerity pinch so bad that I'm going to offer a little polishing service to try & bring in some beer money. £40 will do for two covers clutch & genny (an extra fiver & I'll do the tappet covers & cam cover too), & that includes a basic wire wool strip & polish - three grades of wool, three grades of polish, all elbow grease & no chemicals! I'll even remove any gasket material from the mating faces if applicable. I estimate around a five hour turnaround for both which equates to about £7 an hour plus the wool & compounds. This will eventually shrink when I manage to afford a proper polishing wheel with attachments for flap wheels & other luxury stripping paraphernalia such as a Dremel. Obviously, I'll have to look into postage & stuff but what I'm trying to get a sense of is whether it would be a viable means of gainful employment so I would very much like your comments. I appreciate that a polished look is not for everyone & forty bucks might seem a lot to some of you so help me gauge the meerkat, tell me what you would be prepared to pay - is it too much I'm asking for? Let me know how much you've seen others do it for & any far out methods you've heard of or any pitfalls you've encountered. Ask if there are any other bits you'd like polished such as fork tubes (telescopic brigade), carb bodies, heads (not yet 'cos I don't have the Dremel kit) or even whole frames (you will need to lacquer afterward to prevent rusting).

I'm trying to set up a local exchange engine & mobile repair service with the fast food delivery shops but it has run into teething problems primarily because the bikes that breakdown are either removed by the council or stolen by the local pond life. Mo (the local pizza shop dude), has had two taken in not so many months, one by Islington Council (£250 plus £25 a day storage!!!), & one by the hoodies. However, engine/gearbox repairs will eventually be on the cards but as yet I don't stock parts so any fixes will have to be accompanied with the relevant bits & I assume most of you would prefer to do your own fettling. Possibly, postal costs would also render this prohibitively expensive but the offer is there for anyone prepared to journey to London...

Anyway, please comment! You can take the piss of course :D but do try & balance it with some fair & useful input fellas purleeze!

Vaya con Dios!
See-your-face-in-it.jpg
Ooohh-shiney.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cruncherkid
Rides:: CD175

Re: Engine casing polishing service/gearbox repairs etc!

Post by cruncherkid » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:13 am

Nowt wrong with a bit of enterprise Janz, especially seeing as the more 'industrial' processes are harder to find down there in the smoke, and the ones that are down there look as if they want to skin you financially! :lol: :lol:

We're very well covered 'ooop north' with polishers, chromers, vapour blasters, powder coaters and the like, and for reasonable prices too :)

May i be the first to wish you luck with this, and hope it takes off!! :)

Janz

Post by Janz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:17 pm

Cheers Lee, :D Its just to supplement the pizza shop thing really. I'm not expecting much interest & I don't want to spend too much time doing it as its filthy work, noisey & labour intensive, plus I'm a lazy get :lol:

The way things are going though means that any extra beans would be most welcome. My weekly shop (in Tesco :cry: ) has risen by £5 since late last year alone & we're trying to save up so we can leave the smoke for the south coast. I've had enough, I really have - since they cut my shifts down at work I've been applying for jobs. Out of just under fifty applications I've had one interview & one reply :shock: guess what it said :lol: 'sorry, we wish you every success etc...' So yeah, I hope something happens soon before I have to start wearing skimpy clothing, earrings & hanging around bars in the Old Compton Street area!

Dogsbody
Rides:: Greeves Silverstone(2) Oulton (1), Burgman 400, C125 And CT125,, Honda 400/4

Post by Dogsbody » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:18 pm

"before I have to start wearing skimpy clothing, earrings & hanging around bars in the Old Compton Street "
Any Pics? :lol: Seriously, lad who used to do our polishing used to make good money polishing alloy car wheels, usually 4x4 huge things. Problem was he looked like a coal miner most of the time :lol: :lol: Dogsbody

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:12 pm

That is lovely work Janz. Great on the cases but also amazing on the fiddly bits like the fins and the carb! :geek:

Good luck with any venture........... do people still do ads in MCN?

Janz

Post by Janz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:15 pm

Yeah, I know the feeling! Picking bits of compound out of ears is not fun, I use a mask & goggles but the stuff finds its way past for sure... A good tip! Clean the bath from the bottom up then do the black ring - it leaves the bath gleaming! Mrs Janz thought I'd cleaned it properly! Still her ignorance is my bliss...

davebike
Rides:: C90G(12v) NC750X dct msx125 Grom

Post by davebike » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:04 pm

All the best
As you may know I run a workshop so know how hard it can be !
I don't do polishing so when you have card / flyers let me have some and I advertise for you
I have an old polishing kit someone who worked for me years ago dumped in the workshop, I added a few bits then decided it not my thing! So if you can use any /all of it you welcome,to it I will dig it out and send you a list there is certainly some soap and at least one mop and some arbers !

Dave

Dave@davewilkinsmotorcycles.co.uk

davebike
Rides:: C90G(12v) NC750X dct msx125 Grom

Post by davebike » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:14 pm

There are 6 cloth wheels a abour to suit a power drill a very small and tired bit of soap and a power drill polishing mop

yours free to collect if it helps

Dave

Janz

Post by Janz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:12 pm

Wow Dave! I'm touched mate! Thank you. :D I have been to your 'shop many moons ago when I was a Croydon courier & I haven't been down that way since I moved up here. So I shall pop in Dave I surely will & I'll gladly give you a little something for those.

Janz

Post by Janz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:37 pm

Pjam wrote:That is lovely work Janz. Great on the cases but also amazing on the fiddly bits like the fins and the carb! :geek:

Good luck with any venture........... do people still do ads in MCN?
Thanks Pjam! I haven't read MCN for donkey's & it was usually in WH Smiths when it was raining :D the fiddly bits are just fine wire wool but it does bring it up 'cos of the fine casting & I don't know for sure but I think the alloys that make up the carb might be different to the engine cases. Looks darker & doesn't seem as soft & dulls quicker. My carb doesn't fur up like the cases. I thought that was because my gasket was leaking :D but now I reckon the alloy is probably a different recipe? Any metal heads know the real story?