Wave 110i engine wanted.

RE-OPENED :)
RougeCub
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:37 pm
Rides:: vfr400/c90

Wave 110i engine wanted.

Post by RougeCub » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:38 am

Hello, I'm looking to do the wave 110 engine swap on my cub.
As far as I know it's a straight swap. I've a cub 50 1978 and a cub90 1996. I assume it will fit either.

My issues is trying to find the engine. I can't find it anywhere?! Just the full bike. I'm uk but I'm willing to ship it in. Planning to bore it out to 130 cc still more reliable than the Chinese liflans.

So where on earth can I buy just the engine.

User avatar
Diesel Dave
Posts: 10613
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:25 pm
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left
Location: Brentwood, Essex

Re: Wave 110i engine wanted.

Post by Diesel Dave » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:37 pm

Find as many breakers as you can, and tell them your looking for a Wave engine and keep your contact details on file. One is bound to get spanned into a car/bus/lorry and bend the forks; smash the plastics 'beyond economical repair'

You really do want the whole bike though, just for the loom and fuel injection bits and bobs as there will be fuel pumps and return piping, ECU box and throttle sensors, even the exhaust MAY have a Lamba sensor in it (although it may also be in the head itself). Having the whole bike will show you how all the ancillary systems fit together.

Don't think you can just slap a carb on it either - the ECU will use the Lamba sensor to adjust timing (possibly).

Jon

Re: Wave 110i engine wanted.

Post by Jon » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:11 pm

Diesel Dave wrote:Find as many breakers as you can, and tell them your looking for a Wave engine and keep your contact details on file. One is bound to get spanned into a car/bus/lorry and bend the forks; smash the plastics 'beyond economical repair'

You really do want the whole bike though, just for the loom and fuel injection bits and bobs as there will be fuel pumps and return piping, ECU box and throttle sensors, even the exhaust MAY have a Lamba sensor in it (although it may also be in the head itself). Having the whole bike will show you how all the ancillary systems fit together.

Don't think you can just slap a carb on it either - the ECU will use the Lamba sensor to adjust timing (possibly).
Yes, the Lambda sensor's in the head, at least it is on the Wave 125i...Which is why any old pipe will go on the injection bikes...

ohffs
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:49 pm
Rides:: innova 125

Re: Wave 110i engine wanted.

Post by ohffs » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:12 pm

I may be breaking my innova 125. ( very similar to the wave) it smokes a bit so would benefit from rings but if you are gonna bote out anyway (they do 142 kits for these)

User avatar
Capitano
Posts: 2965
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 pm
Rides:: '92 C90, '11 Kwak W800 & home brewed e-bike
Location: West Sussex
Contact:

Re: Wave 110i engine wanted.

Post by Capitano » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:13 pm

RougeCub wrote: As far as I know it's a straight swap.
Is it?

I thought it had the same mountings as the Innova which won't bolt straight in to a 12V Cub.

horobags
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:48 pm
Rides:: 12v blue 90, NC 750s
Location: scruffy old mancfester..

Re: Wave 110i engine wanted.

Post by horobags » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:04 pm

rougecub, the wave engine will need the ECU, loom, lambada sensor, ect , as Dave has pointed out. Will the engine mounts on a cub line up ?? ( as Ged pointed out). A lifan 110 will cost under 200 quid new, and can be fitted in a couple of hours, very reliable if serviced . Why is it you want a wave engine?? Do a search on Lifan engines, they are really good quality/value motors as lots of us have found out.

Jon

Re: Wave 110i engine wanted.

Post by Jon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:13 am

horobags wrote:rougecub, the wave engine will need the ECU, loom, lambada sensor, ect , as Dave has pointed out. Will the engine mounts on a cub line up ?? ( as Ged pointed out). A lifan 110 will cost under 200 quid new, and can be fitted in a couple of hours, very reliable if serviced . Why is it you want a wave engine?? Do a search on Lifan engines, they are really good quality/value motors as lots of us have found out.
I can understand why... The Lifan is an over-bored C90 in effect...And the C90 was expected not be be ridden at high speeds on smooth tarmac but to be run for long distances at slower speeds on roads that may or may not be surfaced. Times and markets change so the Wave is instead designed to run full bore on smooth roads without issue,,,,

The engines are products of their environments and the Wave engine is Honda's answer to a market that in 30 years has gone from rural to urban.

Nothing wrong with Lifans, they are pretty much as good as the C90 as far as I can tell from this forum, but for the way many of us ride, (which is outside the design purview of the C90's comfort zone) the Wave is the better engine. Honda obviously thought so or they would have built a Lifan spec lump themselves rather than designing a new engine.

horobags
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:48 pm
Rides:: 12v blue 90, NC 750s
Location: scruffy old mancfester..

Re: Wave 110i engine wanted.

Post by horobags » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:36 am

good point jon, honda dont go backwards so Im sure the 110 wave motor is a better engine and revs higher. Here's your big bore kit for when you find an engine.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-WAVE-11 ... 234c01735f

Jon

Re: Wave 110i engine wanted.

Post by Jon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:20 am

horobags wrote:good point jon, honda dont go backwards so Im sure the 110 wave motor is a better engine and revs higher. Here's your big bore kit for when you find an engine.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-WAVE-11 ... 234c01735f
It seems it is the opposite. Every generation of cub motor has revved lower than the last. This is because the speed of the piston is related to stroke and long stroke engines have higher piston speeds. Higher piston speeds mean the oils have to work harder but as time went on, oils improved to allow this.

Honda thus lengthened the stroke on each subsequent engine generation giving progressively better low down torque for the same reliability which of course means they can gear higher. The Wave series engines produce higher torque and similar power at lower revs than the older engine designs.
The cub philosophy has always been about flexibility...Honda have always aimed for an engine that needed as few gear shifts as possible in their cubs. In a perfect Honda world a cub would be a single speed machine with an auto clutch that could move off easily yet still attain it's full speed without over-revving. It is why they keep coming out with full auto models, trying to find that ease of operation. I suspect the perfect cub in Honda's eyes would be electric......

Yamkeef
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:28 pm
Rides:: Ss50 xt 500

Re: Wave 110i engine wanted.

Post by Yamkeef » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:50 pm

Just fitted a wave 110i engine and injection system to early Honda 50 not straight forward.frame needs new mounts quite a bit of trimming there is a lot of wiring ecu etc I made up small fuel tank to hold pump fed from main tank.well worth effort as it rides well.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest