Halogen Headlight Bulbs for 12v C90 Cub.....

RE-OPENED :)
Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Re: Halogen Headlight Bulbs for 12v C90 Cub.....

Post by Newtsalad » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:27 pm

digger06 wrote: funnily enough its actually ok,
Lot's of people say that, and I hope it is. However, don't base it on standing next to it and looking at it while revving it. Or just waliking around the bike.

Ideally, do as we did, follow two cubs, one with the LED bulb one with Incandescent, appraise them close up and from as far as say 50 - 70 metres, and if after that you rate the LED, go with it. And let me know about it too 'cos I'll have one. ;)

My experience so far is 'Sod that for a box of chocolates, I'm putting my bulb back in!' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My whole point is that it doesn't matter if they look stunning when you have a car on your tail thirty to forty feet back, or around town, because invariably they've seen you and know you are there.

You need to be able to be seen, fifty to seventy metres away at least, and preferably more, by some old dear who's driving without her glasses, on a dark rainy night, windscreen misting up and shite wipers, doing the 60mph speed limit along the lanes. It's a very common scenario here, in fact a local man was killed on his pushbike under these circumstances not far from here a couple of years back.

At times like that, you want a light that can be seen, not some glowing fag butt, however little energy it uses. You're a long time dead. :)

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:14 pm

Newtsalad wrote:You need to be able to be seen, fifty to seventy metres away at least, and preferably more, by some old dear who's driving without her glasses, on a dark rainy night, windscreen misting up and shite wipers, doing the 60mph speed limit along the lanes. It's a very common scenario here, in fact a local man was killed on his pushbike under these circumstances not far from here a couple of years back.
That's just made such sense of why you don't trust the LEDs.. Geography!
the unlit narrow lanes round where I live are twisty turny up and down things.. no chance of anyone coming up behind you at any kind of speed.. danger is always a pothole or cowshit, so headlamp is priority! The 60mph-able roads are all fairly wide things with central markings so not so dangerous.

Lister
Rides:: Honda c90 1989, Honda c90 dragster, Honda C90 1990. Honda c70, Honda c50

Post by Lister » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Boo wrote: the unlit narrow lanes round where I live are twisty turny up and down things.. no chance of anyone coming up behind you at any kind of speed.. danger is always a pothole or cowshit, so headlamp is priority! The 60mph-able roads are all fairly wide things with central markings so not so dangerous.

Myself and Speed donkey can confirm that Boo is correct about the roads around that end ! especially after our ride home from Colne from the run , we almost hit a few sheep that were sleeping on the road whilst we were just cruising at like 50 55 down the roads but thankfully Speed Donkey had his massive flood light on the c90, big bright long distance lights are always going to be useful !

Lister

digger06

Post by digger06 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:19 am

Newtsalad wrote:
digger06 wrote: funnily enough its actually ok,
Lot's of people say that, and I hope it is. However, don't base it on standing next to it and looking at it while revving it. Or just waliking around the bike.

Ideally, do as we did, follow two cubs, one with the LED bulb one with Incandescent, appraise them close up and from as far as say 50 - 70 metres, and if after that you rate the LED, go with it. And let me know about it too 'cos I'll have one. ;)

My experience so far is 'Sod that for a box of chocolates, I'm putting my bulb back in!' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My whole point is that it doesn't matter if they look stunning when you have a car on your tail thirty to forty feet back, or around town, because invariably they've seen you and know you are there.

You need to be able to be seen, fifty to seventy metres away at least, and preferably more, by some old dear who's driving without her glasses, on a dark rainy night, windscreen misting up and shite wipers, doing the 60mph speed limit along the lanes. It's a very common scenario here, in fact a local man was killed on his pushbike under these circumstances not far from here a couple of years back.

At times like that, you want a light that can be seen, not some glowing fag butt, however little energy it uses. You're a long time dead. :)

yes, the other ones i tried were really poor, but this cheapo white (not red )one is fine, for some reason, not quite as bright as bright as a incandescent but very near,
i checked it the length of the garage (wich is an mot bay, and sevice garage so pretty long,) in the day and could still see it,,
its a cheap crappo one i got when my mate died, and i cleared out his shed so i presume that itl be the cheapest ever one off ebay, knowing him :D
itl prob last around a week and fail,,,,,,,,,,but at the mo, its lasting ok
i keep reflective tape on the back of the topbox to help in that situation, doesnt stop cars not lookin though
someone suggested i make/buy a led plate instead,,,
when i had the bmw1150, i put a clear lense and a led "plate in, it looked great at first until ONE drop of water got in and fused 7 of the 36 leds out!!!!
had to come back through 2 countrys with it until i found a shop to sell me a red lense and bulb, these led plates dont like water,,,

JustinCorbett
Rides:: C90 CUB, VTR 1000F FireStorm, BMW K1100LT

Post by JustinCorbett » Tue May 06, 2014 9:36 pm

I find my headlight bulb pathetic to ride home in the dark in.

Is there any alternative on this 1997 12v bike? I would like twice the light this thing is giving out :shock:

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Tue May 06, 2014 11:51 pm

There are some threads on improving the lighting. I know Davebike has a rather special setup, search his posts.

Might not be cheap though!

davebike
Rides:: C90G(12v) NC750X dct msx125 Grom

Post by davebike » Wed May 07, 2014 8:35 am

I went the whole hog my 90 is all DC with a 100w alternator /rec/reg set up From ooracing

I have a 35/35w halogen h/l bulb giving dip but not main two 6w LED units and a 1w BA9 as running lights and a 35W HID as main

I can supply the Halogen bulbs see thread in Suppliers

The bulb is an improvement

Dave

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.

Post by Newtsalad » Wed May 07, 2014 12:07 pm

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7567 Now changed to 'sticky' :)

krazy kev
C90Club Clown!
Rides:: 12V CUB HEINZ

Post by krazy kev » Fri May 09, 2014 2:17 pm

I have fitted a halogen bulb to my cub but its not without problems. the problem is that the bulb works as high beam when on low beam. all you need to do is swap the high and low beam wires over. it might be possible that this does not happen with all bulbs so check before swapping the cables in case the bulb is ok

Black Sheep Radical
New kid on the Comel
Rides:: CT90, Восхо́д, 50ZZ, Fusion, C90, Helix, Comel

Post by Black Sheep Radical » Fri May 09, 2014 7:14 pm

krazy kev wrote:it might be possible that this does not happen with all bulbs so check before swapping the cables in case the bulb is ok
Yes, I had one like that too but the last lot I bought had the filaments the right way round, so probably a dodgy batch (like those 12V ignition switches with the wires the wrong way round).