team name TBC, first questions....

Place your Plopping Posts here! Sub forum dedicated to C90 racing, tuning, and plopping!
pjbiker
Rides:: 996 biposto, gsxr750 k1 (track)

team name TBC, first questions....

Post by pjbiker » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi all,
Me and some of my mates are keen on track days, some keener than others, would like to race but basically aren't good enough on bigger bikes.
So, inspired by what we've seen on social media, plan to enter 1 or 2plops to Mallory and Anglesea (if we a. get a place and b. survive)
We got 1 1990 C90 runner in not bad nick, and planning some restorations to make it reliable and hopefully safer. We'd quite like to put it back on ebay when we've finished so don't want to cut it up too much.

Have read a fair bit of what people have posted and studied many photos of mods.
Questions,
  • How much fuel would we need assuming we manage to complete 8hrs?
  • In the absence of a welder, is it possible to mount some pegs on a threaded rod through the swingarm tube?
  • I think some just use the rear pegs and replace the gearchange lever and make rear brake left hand operated?
  • Planning to use CG125 shocks and maybe replace the fronts with new ones, are the damper kits (takegawa on ebay) of any value do people think? The rising under braking worries me a bit, and both ends seem to be devoid of any noticable damping. Again, don't have our own welder.
  • What's a reasonable 'sag' setting if such a thing exists?
:lol:

lawman
Rides:: ccm, honda, Aprilia

Re: team name TBC, first questions....

Post by lawman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:06 am

Hi
Never done a a plop so hopefully Mallory will be a first.
Can't answer all your questions

I'm retaining the original rear pegs and raising the front ones an inch and have fitted fold up pegs on the front.

I have fitted a rear brake on the handlebar using some slightly modded levers (drilled adjusters) on flat bars running the cable to a bracket welded on the arm connecting the hub to the swing arm. (Theres a pic on here somewhere) I used a Honda Melody oem brake cable as suggested on here. It feels very good and can do skids so its enough.

Looking at pics a good number of people use dampers on the front end to damp the front under braking, a lot look like steering dampers but the takegawa looks like an easy bolt on unit. Ive not done anything yet. Some just ratchet strap the front end making it pretty solid.

I wouldnt get hung up about sag and all that, pushbikes with no suspension can go round corners pretty fast on smooth surfaces! I have some chinese racing boy shocks on they are very stiff.
All the best

ledwardio
Rides:: 1190 Adventure / Fireblade / Skyteam Bongo / C90

Post by ledwardio » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:57 pm

pjbiker wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:52 pm
How much fuel would we need assuming we manage to complete 8hrs?
I was wondering that too.

Also wondering how long each rider would stay on track for their session? I appreciate that'll vary but just wondered what people do.

pjbiker

Post by pjbiker » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:05 pm

From watching some youtube videos, one team said they do 55mins between pitstops

Ventura
Rides:: '91 C90, '73 ST70 & Z50, '76 TL125, '80 Bultaco 250, '16 Yam XSR900,

Post by Ventura » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi PJBiker,

Apologies for not responding earlier.
As one of the organisers of the Plop and having taken part in all the previous events, I'll try and answer your Q's as best I can......

How much fuel would we need assuming we manage to complete 8hrs?
If you work on a re-fuel of 3Ltrs every hour you won't be far out. Thats when most do their top-ups and rider changes etc.

In the absence of a welder, is it possible to mount some pegs on a threaded rod through the swingarm tube?
You can do that PJ. Just be wary of solid pegs. They tend to dig in, and when they do there's invariably an off!
Some fit rear-sets, some use pillion footpegs. You can also buy replacements for the stock peg bar which has hinged race pegs.
Thats what my teams bike uses.

I think some just use the rear pegs and replace the gearchange lever and make rear brake left hand operated?
As above. The handlebar mounted rear brake is an excellent mod. It also removes the issue of foot brake arm grounding out and eventually snapping off! :o

Planning to use CG125 shocks and maybe replace the fronts with new ones, are the damper kits (takegawa on ebay) of any value do people think? The rising under braking worries me a bit, and both ends seem to be devoid of any noticable damping. Again, don't have our own welder.
There's lots of options for aftermarket rear shocks. CG125's are OK but some of the purpose made 'race' shocks are very good and not too expensive.
Dampers or even small rear shocks of other bikes are a good mod for the front, but your options are cut a little if no access to a welded.
Have a look at the photos of the Plops with tie-down ratchet straps fitted! :)

What's a reasonable 'sag' setting if such a thing exists?
Now your getting too technical!! :lol: :lol:

V.

pjbiker

Post by pjbiker » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks Graeme

Flappytabs
Rides:: C90

Post by Flappytabs » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Sag is very much dependant on beer on Friday night