Sym Symba being sold in the UK this year

Anything else ya ride!
Cerberus73
Rides:: 2000 C90-T, 86 MZ ETZ 250, 02 Yamaha DragStar 1100A, 90 Suzuki VX800, Honda P50

Sym Symba being sold in the UK this year

Post by Cerberus73 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:09 pm

Well folks heres the best chance to get a decent cub clone in the UK... i emailed the sales guys at Sym UK and got this response regarding the Symba...

Hi Billy

Many thanks for the enquiry.

I can confirm that the first SIX units will be leaving Taiwan shortly!

These will predominantly be used for photography, press release and to
test the UK market 'feeling'.

Two or three may be sold to the public......

Personally, I think it is a sure fire winner and look forward to a full
on launch at the NEC show later this year.

Kind regards
MotoGB

Steve Oliver
General Manager

I have replied congratulating them on finally being able to get a new cub in the uk, or as close as we are likely to get, in the forlorn hope he might gimme a bike to review lol! Hopefully he will get back to me regarding UK OTR pricing.

joefish
Rides:: honda c90zz honda c90n

Re: Sym Symba being sold in the UK this year

Post by joefish » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:02 pm

have they hinted on any price for them yet
they are selling in america for about two and a
half thousand dollars these wee bikes are getting good reviews
would be temped if the price was right :D

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/sym/sco ... build.html

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:54 pm

just over £1600 but with 24 month waranty will it have the same cover over here as the cost of this must be included in the price.

Cerberus73
Rides:: 2000 C90-T, 86 MZ ETZ 250, 02 Yamaha DragStar 1100A, 90 Suzuki VX800, Honda P50

Post by Cerberus73 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Well i have been informed i have won the privilege of testing the bike side by side with my faithful cub, and have punted the idea of doing a "reliability run" on a symba, i suggested a lands end to john o groats, or another idea might be around the coast of Britain for charity. as that is around 19,000 miles, but on road probably 15,000 or so, maybe a shade less, now my bike is a 16yr old cub, she has done 14,000 miles in that time, so i guess that would be a good way to test the basic reliability of these Sym Symba bikes. would any of the guys here perhaps be willing to meet up to cheer us on, and get a chance of a look and run on the bike? After talking to them i get the distinct impression they want to make a good impression on the Cub owner community with these nice little bikes. and i did point out a fair few of us have reliability woes with chinese engine and bikes in general, regarding build quality, electrics etc. and they are keen to prove to us cub owners how well made, reliable and sorted these bikes are.

I will keep the club here informed on discussions and would love feedback on any ideas regarding a suitable reliably test for the bike.

joefish
Rides:: honda c90zz honda c90n

Post by joefish » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:04 pm

well if your bringing it up through
scotland im for a meet and i will try it out if thats ok :D

Cerberus73

Post by Cerberus73 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Sure joe, hopefully they will bite regarding a long run for charity, cant see why not its win-win, they get free publicity, we cub owners get a chance to check it out, and a good cause gets some cash. your minter cub would be great to do pics side by side with since she is so clean, mines is more... "lived in" lol

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:41 pm

Bound to be a lot of interest and will show Honda the mistake they're making!

Cerberus73

Post by Cerberus73 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:15 pm

ok talking to Guy steve and a journo called Bertie, what they would ideally like is 3 of these new bikes and 3 original cubs doing the same run, so who is up for a charity run, they will provide mechanics, and servicing. its basically to prove that they're bikes are as dependable as the original Cub, and to raise cash for cancer research. and a wee bit of adventure, they want something original, not the usual lands end run. i suggested a tour of uk cities visiting sym dealers (the mechanics will fettle the bikes and service them there) and they wanna launch them at the NEC in brum at the motorbike show. so whom is up for it!

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Very exciting Cerberus, great work by yourself :) The UK cities is a good idea, better for their photo opportunities etc. Standard Cubs are getting harder to find though! There's a few members around Brum and most I can think of have modified Cubs!

On a selfish note it would be great to get a Club mention somewhere along the line :P

Cerberus73

Post by Cerberus73 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Pjam they would love to be affiliated with the club considering we are there target market. owners of nice old cubs, that may just be in the market for a new bike. in fact the Sym sales manager Steve Oliver wants to join our little group, albiet with a "other marque", hence why i posted it in this section. i have a busy couple of days (doing direct access bike test rather than just CBT & Prov license) as my sis has asked if id like to tour germany next year on a big bike, and felt it was time i got me finger out to do a full test, so hope to be passed that soon, fitting it in around work, instructor is a mate so hes doing it when he has space to make it cheap :D... on another note he mentioned he has a T reg (78) C90 in his storage lockup belonging to a old dear whom failed her CBT a couple times, so asked if he will enquire about purchasing said bike.. ive always preferred a old round light one... so heres hoping she says aye. the Other guy Bertie the journo is a Ex Editor of Motorcycle News, heres a link to his site. exciting times lie ahead for the cub community, hell maybe even Honda will think about new cubs for the UK if these new bikes prove a success. after all they will be sure to have a stand at the NEC bike show.

http://www.bertiesimmonds.com/