Honda C125 super Cub a cautionary tale

Anything else ya ride!
slowboy
Rides:: Honda Super Cub 125

Honda C125 super Cub a cautionary tale

Post by slowboy » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:31 pm

I’m just doing the post winter maintenance on the centre stand pivot. The bike is now three years old and is used all year. Actually came apart ok, previous maintenance worked, but this year the centre stand, the footrest mount and the brake arm need some restorative maintenance. They are all off to my local powdercoaters shortly, the centre stand is worse, which considering where it’s situated is not too surprising. The footrest mount seemed not too bad, except it’s only got a single coat of black on it, no primer I could discover, which is crap.
The base of the frame however was rusty and had paint flaking. Again, even after sanding showed no sign of a primer coat. A few hours today has got it ready for painting and when all the primer and topcoats are on, it’ll get a coat of under seal as well.
Really disappointed with Honda’s paint quality though, no primer, Just a gloss coat straight onto shiny metal. 🤨

Worth taking a look if you’re minded to get in there. At least I caught it in time. :evil:

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Re: Honda C125 super Cub a cautionary tale

Post by 125erCrazy » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:34 pm

Cheers for the heads up 8-) as I've said in previous posts mine def' needs a strip down come the good weather lots of dark marks to 'chrome' surfaces.

Sadly modern enviro' water based paints are pretty pony

slowboy

Post by slowboy » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:31 pm

Bits went to the powder coaters today, he’s going to zinc coat the centre stand and the footrest hanger as well. The foot brake arm will be a natty black instead of crappy chrome, which is nice.

slowboy

Post by slowboy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:17 pm

That’s all the bits back from the powder coaters. Including a zinc coat, £45. Bargain.

If you’re in the southwest I can heartily recommend Wing and Son near Totnes. They do a great job.