Bought an Innova! after a few tips

Anything else ya ride!
wilchatron
Rides:: '04 Innova

Bought an Innova! after a few tips

Post by wilchatron » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi everyone!

I've Just bought an 04 Innova with 7200 miles on it today and am very pleased with it for the price I paid - it's obviously been very well looked after and it should do me well. (I'd attach a picture but it's telling me even a 400kb file is too large, not sure why)

Just a quick introduction - I had a C90 as my first bike when I was 17 but had to get rid of it, mainly due to parental pressure, but now I need a bike to commute on. The lovely users of C90Club were really helpful and friendly whenever I had little faults with my cub, so it's good to be back *even if I was too skint to afford another Cub*

I will probably be visiting frequently to ask for some of the oodles of expert knowledge there is to be found on this site!

I have a couple of questions for now though. 1. It won't rev fully, it sort of blips / coughs / hesitates around 35mph in 2nd (could be about 3000rpm but I'm not good at judging RPM) I have a feeling a thorough clean out of the carb with some Wynnes and an air can, a new air filter and a good check over and clean of all the fuel and air system parts will do her a power of good. However, if anyone's had this fault and it was a particular thing, I'd appreciate a pointer.

2. The plastics around the top of the steering column are reeally creaky and squeaky, is this caused by some parts rubbing on others? if so, is it safe to take them off and cut / file them down a bit?

any advice is massively appreciated! :)

davebike
Rides:: C90G(12v) NC750X dct msx125 Grom

Re: Bought an Innova! after a few tips

Post by davebike » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:12 am

14 years to do 7200 carb and tank may need cleaning I would start by adding fresh fuel and I would go with "super" for the first few tanks more additive including cleaners !

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Post by horobags » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:24 am

Innova's are fantastic machines. Sounds like your bike needs a full service. When buying a bike you dont know how its been maintained how ever clean it is.
Carb strip and soak jets in carb cleaner over night. Tappet check, oil (screen),plug, air filter, chain and sprocket check. I,d strip the top plastics and check and refit to stop squeeks. Enjoy!!!!

raybarber
Rides:: Honda SH300

Post by raybarber » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:57 am

Mine were a bit squeaky. But it's a great bike and I do regret getting rid of mine.

Diddly
Rides:: Honda ANF125 Innova;

Post by Diddly » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:05 am

Re the squeaking plastics on the headlight cowl. Yes it is a common problem on the Innova. Can be cured with a strip down, maybe replace headlight and sideight when in there with a long life/heavy duty upgrade?
On reassembly try to avoid plastic on plastic friction. I used some vinyl flooring and lots of clear silicone to take up the slack.
Good luck with your new bike.

Diddly

wilchatron

Post by wilchatron » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:58 am

so! first of all, my apologies for what is a longish post. I've stripped her down a bit and got the carb (mostly) off. I'm thinking the lack of power may be something to do with the choke, detailed pictures below. It may not be this, but I'd like to at least try a new choke cable before totally stripping the carb, as i'm not sure yet how to totally remove it from the bike

when I took the airbox off the carb to reveal the choke valve, it was at this position. Actuating the choke lever on the handlebars did nothing; the cable just seems bunched up and the whole cable and sheath move together. When I press the choke flap down it opens fully but then pops back to 3/4 closed.

So, after pushing quite hard on the black plastic thing with a spring round it (below) I managed to set the choke flap to be fully open, and stay that way. when doing this I could hear and see the choke cable going into the handlebar moving around. Image

I believe this is the choke valve / flap at fully open position, which can't be achieved just using the handlebar lever. I may be wrong.

This is the view of the cable from below, there's a snarled up bulge of rubber in the channel where the cable slots into the lever, shown by the red arrow

and finally, this round black plastic cover came off what i referred to as the "black plastic thing" seen in image 2. Don't think it's that important, but maybe it has a function I'm unaware of?

If anyone's able to confirm my suspicions or suggest that I am in fact barking up the wrong tree, please do so!! I appreciate the tips so far as well - I've managed to reduce the squeaking a bit by refitting some of the plastics (which I have now taken off again)

**edit** it doesn't appear the photos work on Imgur so here is a link to the album, I will put the captions I have put here under each photo - https://imgur.com/a/ZWgrzQY

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:03 am

Firstly you need a new choke cable.

The choke plate itself is spring loaded so the engine can ‘suck’ it open so with the lever closed you should be able to poke it open with your finger and feel it spring back.

Yes you will need to remove the plastics to fit the new cable and don’t remove the old one until you have the new one in hand and note very carefully how it is routed.

Best of luck

wilchatron

Post by wilchatron » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:11 pm

ok, Cheers Dave, I'm glad you said that cause I almost certainly would have tried to get it off immediately and ended up not being able to get the new one on, haha. When I was looking at it yesterday I couldn't see an obvious way for the ends of the cable to come out of their housings, is there a knack to removing them?

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:26 pm

The cable comes complete with inner and outer, you can’t remove the nipples.

wilchatron

Post by wilchatron » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:31 pm

sorry, I mean to say, how do I get the cable, including nipples, off the bike to put the new one on?