Troubles with my Kayak SuCu 110

Anything else ya ride!
DonS
Rides:: Kayak Super Cub 110

Troubles with my Kayak SuCu 110

Post by DonS » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:37 pm

Today when going with 50mph on the highway it suddenly made a decent clonk and metallic noise.
Vibrations were felt in the engine.
I stopped, checked, and engine and gearbox worked ok.
So i drove home.
Then i noticed that the e-start is not working anymore. I can kick it on but no e-start.
When pressing the start-button i can hear the relais click but the starter motor is not working.
What happened? I didn’t touch the starter-button! Is it possible that the starter had a short circuit an engaged by it’s own?
How much damage might be done? Starter broken shouldn’t be too much a problem but if the starter sprocket is damaged i’m not willing to disassemble the whole engine.
No time and nerves for that right now.
Any suggestions?

DonS

Re: Troubles with my Kayak SuCu 110

Post by DonS » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:11 am

Can‘t attach a picture (file too large) but i had the starter-motor off and it’s completely ruined inside.
Metall parts are broken and the copper coils burnt and distorted. Black dust and crumbs too.
Rest of the starter system seems to be ok.
Now the question is if a starter for a C90 will fit.
Monday i’ll call the german dealer and ask for starter and cover-gasket.

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:27 am

Think the starter motor is quite a bit longer, there is a "bubble" in the legshields to accommodate it.

Good luck!

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:38 pm

C90 version is a bit underpowered for turning over a 110.

Pit bike starters are cheap and available on eBay.

BUT you would be best to find out the electrical fault that caused it to turn on first.

DonS

Post by DonS » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks, i’ll kick out the starter-relais first. The relais might be the culprit.
Maybe it doesn’t separate the contacts as intended.
I don’t think it’s the starter button for it’s only working when the frontbrake-lever ist pulled.

DonS

Post by DonS » Tue May 15, 2018 1:47 pm

Ok, i replaced the broken starter motor with a new one.
Luckily i found a shop selling Quads and Cross Bikes in Austria. They’ve many parts fitting the chinese Cub’s. The new starter (chinese brand too) looks and sounds far better then the original one. A new starter relais completed the repair. Working perfect again.

With six bikes in my garage i reluctantly decided to sell two of them. I sold the SuCu and one of three Innovas.
To be honest, the SuCu was always much too small for me (6’2”), so sadly it had to go.