A new Mode of transport

Anything else ya ride!
hw97k2000
Rides:: Honda SH125 Mode, Sinnis Retrostar 250

A new Mode of transport

Post by hw97k2000 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:54 am

I have traded in my Innova, I have to say what a great bike, she did have many miles under her wheels when I purchased her but she was starting to get tired. Always intended as a ride to work hack she never let me down, It's a pity Honda do not have a geared scoot in thier range (will the concept cub become a reality?)
So I have purchased a new SH125 Mode and I pick her up on Monday (9th April), I did look at other big wheel scooters like the SYM Symphony etc but in the end decided to stick with what I know.
How do you run in an automatic scooter apart from steering clear of steep hills, maybe someone could give some advice on this.
Looking forward to the new challenge and more (hopefully) Honda reliability.

raybarber
Rides:: Honda SH300

Re: A new Mode of transport

Post by raybarber » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:10 am

I recently swapped my Innova for an SH300 and asked the same question. I kept the speed down around 45mph with the odd burst up to 55ish for the first 100 miles or so and then gradually brought the speed up slightly until its 600 mile service. At 700 miles, I went for a ride with some friends and opened it up a bit, with sustained dual carriageway speeds between 55-70mph. As for hills, the SH300 doesn't seem to notice them and hardly laboured overtaking up Fish Hill. I guess the 125 would strain a bit more. A couple of the old school recommended changing the oil at 100 miles but they grew up on 100E Anglia and A30s.

Brakes and tyres should be treated sympathetically.

If you are like me, you will love the SH300 but wish you'd kept the Innova as well. Have fun.

hw97k2000

Post by hw97k2000 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:59 am

Yes I would have liked to have kept the Innova but she had to go along with my Francis Barnett to fund the new scoot, also space is a factor in how many bikes I can keep, having said that I once read that the formula for how many bikes one can have is N+1, N being the number of bikes you already own.
I have to admitt that parting with the Innova was a harder decision than the FB which just did not get ridden enough.
You make a good point about the tyres and brakes which need a few miles to bed in.
I have ridden a few 125cc motorcycles/scooters in my time and the Innova was the best, taking into account reliability economy and performance, she will be a hard act to follow.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:09 am

The only new auto scooter I have owned was a Gilera 500 Nexus with the Piaggio Master series engine.

At the time I took the advice (albeit reluctantly) of several more knowledgeable folks who said to thrash the nuts off it from the off, and keep to the regular service intervals at a Piaggio Master Dealer. One of these folks was the UK's highest ranked Piaggio dealer (but not the one I bought the bike from.)

So I did. Admittedly I sold the bike after 3 years and around 22000 miles but it never gave a moment's trouble. 8-)

barker
Rides:: t80 honda90 nexus honda xr honda sh loncinyamaha vigaro 53suzukiaddress5

Post by barker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:10 am

one inportant thing to remember with the automatic scooters they dont have neutrol so if you come off them dont pick them up with out turning the ignition off or you can open the throtle as you lift the scooter up and the scooter will fly off down the road
ive had a sh125 great scooter

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Post by horobags » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:30 am

ive had a sh 125, they are a great scoot. The mode is a slightly smaller version with the same engine, which is smooth and quick for a 125. The only advice i would give is to keep on top of the exhaust through winter as they can rust.
Roll on monday😀, and post some pics for us.

JohnS
Rides:: .2019 Honda C125

Post by JohnS » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:41 am

When I had my WK GTR300,an SH300 copy I also used the modern method of running in.I filled it with cheap Wilko mineral oil ,made sure is was fully warmed up then gunned it for 10 mins,let it cool down ,then gunned again.Repeated this process a few times.Changed the oil to fully synthetic then used in normally and have no problems and I'm very pleased by the way it goes.I wouldn't want to go back to a geared machine.

hw97k2000

Post by hw97k2000 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:46 am

I have heard this said before about new engines, ''just thrash the nuts off it mate it will be fine'' having a certain ammount of sympathy for things mechanical I would find this hard to do.
Could this be a cynical attempt to drum up more business put about by dealers I wonder.

raybarber
Rides:: Honda SH300

Post by raybarber » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:54 am

I've told this story before but a colleague and I both picked up company Hillman Avenger Estates at the same time. He thrashed his from day one, I ran mine in carefully. Now the Avenger was not the most reliable car and mine was always causing trouble. His was faster, more reliable and used less fuel. Nuff said.

barker
Rides:: t80 honda90 nexus honda xr honda sh loncinyamaha vigaro 53suzukiaddress5

Post by barker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:51 am

when I got a new lorry we had no running in loaded up and off you go, admittedly we could only do 60 but they got used hard