Honda PX50s

Anything else ya ride!
Cerberus73
Rides:: 2000 C90-T, 86 MZ ETZ 250, 02 Yamaha DragStar 1100A, 90 Suzuki VX800, Honda P50

Re: Honda PX50s

Post by Cerberus73 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:38 pm

There are fancy beefed up chrome jobs available on some of the ped tuning parts sites, especially dutch ones, come with interchangeable bits for diffrent peds, so will fit puch, honda and suzuki peds... they are made for "old school" peds not the plastic fantastics. now those come in all chrome, and polished ally, normal or upside downy types... and fork oil can be changed, uprated springs, bushes etc, so could prob be fine for a cubby. as was said by aliengravy the front end of the PX50s is a bitty weedy for the cub, but i reckon if stanchion tubes are thick enough, and the yoke area can be beefed up. with fittment of heavier springs, and thicker fork oil. could do a cub.

As for the wheels fitting a cub, well i think the front brake would be far to pathetic, so would require say aquiring the 2 rims (14 rear and 16 front) and getting a wheelbuilder to lace em up to a pair of cub hubs/brake plates. then cub could be fitted with proper knobbly tyres, 250 front and 275 section rear. cub would also need stronger front springs and longer shocks at back, say 350-375mm to give the required travel for off road and have her sitting level not nose up since rear is smaller even with a fat tyre on.

i have yet to see the bikes "in the flesh" but asa previous post stated, they are tiny wee things.

tom robinson
Rides:: Suzukii Address i 2010,Honda 300i 2007

Post by tom robinson » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:06 am

i have a box of bits and pieces inc front and rear wheels if you get stuck Cerberus 73.The wheels i have are cast ally or maybee plastic with about 6 "spokes".
Mine is black and red,i think it is a Francanstine bike made up from 2 or more bikes lol

I always swore i would never have a 2 srroke bike after owning bikes with Villiers engines in them in the 60's,Honda certainly made 2 strokes into rockets !

cheers and carry on cubbing,been out for an hour today on my cub but had to return as i had forgotten to fuel up before i left home and there was no garages on the route i was on.
tom robinson

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:28 pm

Cerberus73 wrote:as was said by aliengravy the front end of the PX50s is a bitty weedy for the cub
:D That was me. AG asked the question!
Cerberus73 wrote:and thicker fork oil
I very much doubt there's any hydraulic damping in there.

Cerberus73
Rides:: 2000 C90-T, 86 MZ ETZ 250, 02 Yamaha DragStar 1100A, 90 Suzuki VX800, Honda P50

Post by Cerberus73 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:40 pm

i might just have those mag wheels off ya tom once i pick the PX's up. cos the wire ones on those don't look to great tbh and will be dear to get rebuilt. i might fork out for one with wires, but not 2 pairs of wires. apparently the seller has a "box of spares, basically a whole bike" as he put it. so might just be wheels there. i will need to wait and see. lol i know all about 60's 2 stroke tech being the owner of a triumph T10 scooter... piston ported 98cc... no expansion chamber to speak off..just "tuned length" pipe fouls plugs like nobodies business and uses energy transfer 6v ignition... it makes 6v honda electrics look posh and high powered. only reason i keep her... got her for next to nowt (£10 quid off a old geezer) and they are pretty rare, and historically the first commercially available "twist n go" scooter with a CVT transmission... and its cheapest way to own a merriden built triumph :lol:

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:43 pm

Cerberus73 wrote: "twist n go" scooter with a CVT transmission
Amazing. I didn't know they were. Is it the same variable-width pulley setup as modern twst'n'go scooters?

Cerberus73

Post by Cerberus73 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:07 pm

well kinda, its based on 2 pulleys, a toothed belt and some governor weights, more like ball bearings than modern rollers... i may have a pic on photobucket...

ok on this photo the black circular object with the metal loop/bar over it is the governer area, the cover hides the 3 weights and the clutch mechanism... the bike has no neutral as such, but under the seat there is a switch that will only let the bike move off if the rider is sat on the seat, its body weight activated. then the rear pulley is attached to the back wheel via a reduction gear and brake drum, whole unit is very compact, swingarm, drive, and engine are all held in via 1 hinge pin at front just behind cylinder, and the single rear shocker... a very modern layout used in most plastic scooters with twist n go to this day... and the Tina variant came out in 1962! mines is a T10, which was basically the same tina running gear but with a more lambrettaesque type body compared to the more girly tina. the downsides of this scooter are spares, not much about, alternatives have to be sourced, or fabricated. electrically she is very poor and basic, switchgear is bog standard lucas/wipac... thank god loads of other british makes used same stuff. heres a pic of her "as found" at moment she is in a million pieces, parts off to get chromed, waiting on a panel beater to take a ding out of offside legshield, need a "old school" body man to do it with hammer n dollies and body solder. then my cousin gonna paint her in seafoam vintage green and ivory. engine work im doing myself, im busy trying to hunt down new stator coils.

Black Sheep Radical
New kid on the Comel
Rides:: CT90, Восхо́д, 50ZZ, Fusion, C90, Helix, Comel

Post by Black Sheep Radical » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:55 pm

You bought them then, good work! Fill that garage :lol:

Nice T10 BTW 8-) I've always fancied a Tigress myself...

So many scooters, so little time :D

Cerberus73

Post by Cerberus73 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:29 pm

would love a 250cc tigress the 4 stroke one, the 175 was a 2 stroker based on bantam engine. im a member of the T10 & tina owners group, we are about to expand membership to the tigress/bsa sunbeam scooters. i think ambition wise i want my T10 and a tigress 250, C90 12v like i have... and a Round headlamp C90, a chally CF70, postie CT110, one of each the P series Honda peds, so a P50, PA50 PC50 and i got 2 PX 50 and i want a Express deluxe 50, as i had one years ago as my sweet 16 nifty... lol i was skint n couldn't afford a RD or AR50. thank god lightweight bikes and scooters dont take to much space, or money if you look hard enough.... i live in a ground floor flat lol... mind you gonna be sticking up one of those 9ftx10ft metal sheds with twin doors and a awning type affair attached. i know it will probably take me years to find all the bikes i would like, i just missed out on a p50 (the one with engine in rear wheel) with a spare engine for 150 quid... guy has a beaver brown 73 c90 im naggin at him to sell to me :lol:

tom robinson
Rides:: Suzukii Address i 2010,Honda 300i 2007

Post by tom robinson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:29 pm

I often work on my bike under the awning on my camperven,it keeps the wind and rain of.
A caravan/campervan awning could easily be attached to a shed,they only take 2 mins to erect and could be folded away when not being used

tom robinson

Black Sheep Radical
New kid on the Comel
Rides:: CT90, Восхо́д, 50ZZ, Fusion, C90, Helix, Comel

Post by Black Sheep Radical » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:00 am

tom robinson wrote:I often work on my bike under the awning on my camperven,it keeps the wind and rain of.
There's too much stuff in my garage to actually work in there so I use those cheapo B&Q gazebos (about £12). If you peg and tie it down properly it can stay up March-October, on average one gets destroyed about every three years by freak weather so it's a pretty cheap arrangement.

They're ideal for working under, with the added bonus that you can lounge around under it on the three nice days of the year we get :lol: