Honda innova 57mm cylinder kit (148cc)

Anything else ya ride!
onittino3
Rides:: Honda C90, Honda Cb500x

Honda innova 57mm cylinder kit (148cc)

Post by onittino3 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:47 pm

I've added quite a few additions to my innova over the last couple of months including, Custom seat, Honda Wave cast wheels, 15 tooth front sproket, touring screen, heavy duty rear rack, centre rack and even a cup holder :roll: all in the pursuit of a great little touring bike.

Now as standard tne Innova has more than enough power to pull anyone around town but i want to be able to maintain a steady 50-55mph regardless of head wind and hills without the throttle pinned, so I've opted to try a 57mm piston and barrel kit, which i brought from Greece.

I'm hopping once fully tested and run in, and a bigger bore exhuast fitted that I may even be able to go up to a 16T front sprocket for even longer gearing, I'm not looking for fast pull always and being able to wheelie through the gears :lol:

The parts in the kit appears to be good quality and didn't feel too Chinese, but only time will tell :?: The bike is now back together and I will up date on how it perform soon

Thanks Terry

Progress in pitcures

ANF.S
Rides:: Honda ANF125 (2007 Carb model)

Re: Honda innova 57mm cylinder kit (148cc)

Post by ANF.S » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:54 pm

I would be very interested in hearing your performance improvement and effect on MPG ;)

onittino3

Post by onittino3 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:33 pm

ANF.S wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:54 pm
I would be very interested in hearing your performance improvement and effect on MPG ;)
Will do, it will be tested with std Carb and Exhuast first, then a Exhuast upgrade...then possibly Carb upgrade 8-)

ANF.S

Post by ANF.S » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Thanks, yes I'm wondering whether the standard carb will do the job. If you keep us posted at each stage of upgrade ref. performance & MPG that would be great, cheers ;)

onittino3

Post by onittino3 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:44 pm

I've now done about 30 miles since rebuild, even running with the standard exhaust and carb there's a noticeable difference in power, mainly bottom end a mid range, and i climbed a hill all the way in 4th at 45mph + that used to see me knock it down in to 3rd and scream the nuts off it :lol:
Although I havent gone full throttle for any length of time i did briefly hit 62mph on the satnav, it feels that I won't achieve any extra top end as it breathing through the std Carb and Exhuast, but it feels there enough power to jump up to a 16T front sprocket (current already running +1 15T)

As for MPG I haven't got a clue yet, but sh*t loads of smiles per gallon. :D

ANF.S

Post by ANF.S » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:57 am

Ok thanks for the update. How much did the kit cost if you don't mind me asking?

onittino3

Post by onittino3 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:54 pm

ANF.S wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:57 am
Ok thanks for the update. How much did the kit cost if you don't mind me asking?
The piston and barrel kit including the gasket set was £62 plus £11 postage, the add is on EBay...last one :!: , I also got an extra head Gasket kit from him as you can't get them over here and it's handy to have one in case I have to take it apart.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3230498733

onittino3

Post by onittino3 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:05 pm

Now that the bikes all run in I'm thinking about up jetting the carb slightly, now it runs really well through the rev range, and i can feel a difference in the lower and mid range power, but not much different to standard at top end, I know ideally I need a bigger bore exhaust, but I don't have the spare cash right now :( , so I'm thinking of up jetting from a #75 main to a #85 main (got an #85 from a Cub carb)

Questions

1, #85 to much or not enough?
2, Should I increase the pilot jet as well (currently #35).

I have a 10mm colour tune, so will be using this to ensure i have a clean burn through the rev range ,

All advice welcome, thanks Terry

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:49 pm

It would be close to impossible to use a colourtune for anything more than idle, especially with the depth of the Innova plug hole.

If you really want to get the mixture correct through the range then you will need to use a wide and AFR gauge - this means you need a downstream lambda sensor to run from.

It’s likely that you will be running rich rather than lean, the bigger cylinder will be sucking harder through the carb and drawing up more fuel than the original - for example if you run a Lifan 125 on a std 90carb then it runs ridiculously rich.

I have an AFR setup but to use it means a hole will be needed in the exhaust and a Lambda sensor plug welded into place - I have a 90 exhaust with the necessary fittings but not an Innova version.

In the meantime it would be best to do a plug chop but please do it properly, you need to run at WOT for a minimum of 2 minutes and then cut the ignition and depress the pedal to de-clutch the motor, coasting to a halt and swapping out the plug. Analysing the plug usually needs an otoscope (the thing that the Doctor looks into your ears with) as you’re looking for a 1mm wide soot band where the ceramic meets the metal deep inside the plug body. It can be done with a magnifying glass and a good light source. You will need quite a few NEW plugs to read.

Experienced test riders can do this by feel but I’ve only known one in my racing days that I trusted to get it right, every hot-shot superstar rider I’ve experienced has been more of a hinderance than a benefit.

Best of luck.

Yes you would benefit from a bigger carb and larger bore exhaust.

onittino3

Post by onittino3 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks Dave, i can normally tune idle by ear and through the rev range by feel, it was running rich and I have leaned it out a bit by adjusting the air mixture, and the plug looks normal, so I'm happy it's not running too rich and I'm not going to cook it by running it too Lean.

The other problem is that the Innova has the air suction valve which adds to the complex nature of tuning, as it adds air to the combustion the manual advises using a gas analyser to set the mixture correctly?

I think I will mess around with different jets and do plug chops, thanks for the advice. 8-)