Peugeot Vox

Anything else ya ride!
mickb
Rides:: honda sh125 mode, suzuki fr70/c90, cg125,

Peugeot Vox

Post by mickb » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi all, I hope a post about life with a Peugeot Vox will be of interest. As I was reluctant to spend, say, £1000 - 1500 on a really nice, but 20-year-old C90, I decided to take a chance and buy a Chinese machine, so in December last year I bought a brand new Peugeot Vox (£1200 on the road). It now has 2200 km on the clock.

I should probably disclose that I've changed the oil 4 times, disconnected every electrical connection to apply ACF50 to prevent corrosion/resistance, applied extra grease to wheel bearings, head bearings, stand + brake pivots, applied copperslip to all fastenings and applied ACF50 to every exposed ferrous part, all chromework + entire exhaust system -- so I would be pretty annoyed to find any rust appearing; so far, none!

So what's the bike like? I reckon it's close to faultless, though certainly not fast -- around 55mph top speed but it handles very securely, the engine is very smooth, the brakes are excellent, also the lights and now that I've adjusted the clutch properly (how come the PDI didn't pick that up?) the gearchange quality is remarkably good. MPG has been between 130 and 170, and it uses no oil. How long will this last? I don't know, but with every passing month the bike engenders increasing confidence and yes, I would buy another Chinese machine.

P.S. does anyone have experience of a Sym Symba (Taiwanese copy of a cub)? That was my alternative choice, but there are no Sym dealers near to me.

Regards to all, Mickb.

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Re: Peugeot Vox

Post by horobags » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:27 pm

hi Mick, I owned a loncin 110 a couple of years ago and I was impressed with it. Chinese bikes are getting better, I feel the quality on some is crap, while others can be near jap standards. I like the Vox, its similar to the Loncin/wave design . The main thing to do on these machines is to prep them properly (which you have done) ,and regular oil changes are essential too. If looked after it should give you thousands of trouble free miles. The only slight negative point about them is resale values, but they dont cost a fortune when new so not a big issue.
Ive also looked at the symba, there is a big US owners forum and Ive read that some owners have done big trips on them covering huge miles.I quite like them, a bit quirky and more of a cub lookalike, every now and again second hand bargains come up for sale. My only worry would be that now they have been dropped from our SYM importer spares may be a little hard to find.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:59 pm

mickb wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:34 pm

P.S. does anyone have experience of a Sym Symba (Taiwanese copy of a cub)? That was my alternative choice, but there are no Sym dealers near to me.
Spares are scarce for even the Sym big sellers in the UK, so for the Symba they'd be practically non existent.

Shame as the build quality of Syms is rather good.

barker
Rides:: t80 honda90 nexus honda xr honda sh loncinyamaha vigaro 53suzukiaddress5

Post by barker » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:33 pm

I to have a loncin used it today for the box hill meet as you say they need sorting grease wize once you get it home , mind you my new Honda sh had never seen grease during assembly had my loncin for three years now , had a new front brake calliper £20 with postage that included pads
as you point out regular oil changes are a must but Chinese built bikes are getting better its spares that need sorting out

barker
Rides:: t80 honda90 nexus honda xr honda sh loncinyamaha vigaro 53suzukiaddress5

Post by barker » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:37 pm

gtd65
Rides:: Super Cub 110cc, '83 Suzuki GS450GA & '86 Suzuki GSX-R750G, Kawasaki Zephyr

Post by gtd65 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:52 am

I've got the Rider's Super Cub which is now 3 years old and has 2200km on the clock.

Build quality is pretty light but it's acceptable. Not had any real issues other than a leaking fuel sender float and a couple of exhaust trim screws rattle out.

I've only changed the oil twice so far and it's not really had any other maintenance as yet.

Based on my experience with the Rider's Super Cub, I picked up a Lexmoto ZSB. Build quality is excellent for a budget brand. I find the engine a bit unrefined and the saddle is not too comfortable after about 30 miles. Starts fine, runs fine, has zero corrosion despite now being 2 years old.

Bought a Sym Symba in Florida back in 2015 for the GF.

Build quality is vastly superior to the Super Cub. I only pad around £600 for it with a mere 400+ miles on the clock and it was still under warranty at the time.

I'd like to pick up a Symba but the UK prices are too high for my taste.

gtd65
Rides:: Super Cub 110cc, '83 Suzuki GS450GA & '86 Suzuki GSX-R750G, Kawasaki Zephyr

Post by gtd65 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:06 pm

Hmm.

I see that Photobucket is now charging for 3rd party hosting.

What are you guys using instead?

US$400 per year to be able to share - they can simply FRO! :x

http://s149.photobucket.com/user/gtd200 ... s.jpg.html
Last edited by gtd65 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gtd65

Post by gtd65 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Sym Symba owners thread at SymForum:

http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=119 ... 4#msg36854

AE86
Rides:: Honda Dio 4T

Post by AE86 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:41 pm

The SYM Symba has a lot of things right over the classic C90 like the oil screen door (two bolts to clean the screen vs. taking the whole damn clutch cover off), forks vs. leading link suspension, secondary clutch motor, I even like the gauge pod better, etc, but the newer Super Cubs are just as solid and refined, if not more so than the Symba.

I've been riding a newly acquired 110 around the last few days or so, and I'd say it takes easily takes the cake over the Symba, more torque, smoother motor, smoother gear change, about the same handling experience, but then again it's kind of lost that quirky feel the C90 had about it, so I'm not sure I want more refinement from a Super Cub honestly :lol:

Symba is a great solid bike though, and there really is a lot I like from it more than my little C90.

gtd65

Post by gtd65 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:45 pm

AE86, are you actually in Vietnam?

The reason I ask is that I've got a notion to do a tour of Vietnam - inspired by Top Gear I have to say.

One of my other pals is interested too and was just wondering (if you are in Vietnam) if you have any tips about doing such a thing over there?