Heated grips that work well on a small bike ??

Anything else ya ride!
stevew
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)

Re: Heated grips that work well on a small bike ??

Post by stevew » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:31 pm

Vk/Leeds wrote:
stevew wrote:Great thanks DD. On that basis I don't think I'll bother. A flat battery is something I don't want in a FI bike. Nothing to drive the pump so I would be stranded.
I thought that too for the innova ! :( ! but once I left my satnav connected for @ a fortnight in the garage covered over not even a neutral light when ignition turned on ! :shock: ! but it started first kick and all light ect.. resumed as normal with engine running ! 8-) ! but after a run I just disconnected the hot hands lead in the bin and plugged in the trickle charger over night to be on the safe side and never had any more issues with the battery
Cheers Vk. :D .
Thanks for that Vic. i wonder if the Wave is the same?
On reflection it would make sense 'cos the majority of customers are in Asia and i have a hunch they are not as careful as !!

Vk/Leeds
Rides:: Suzuki uh200

Post by Vk/Leeds » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:52 am

I reckon ! ;) ! I must admit I was a little surprised with nothing on the dash , no needle sweep or the sound of the pump being primed or click from the starter , at first I thought I had ignition switch problems with it being totally dead until I lifted the seat and found my satnav still plugged in and realised what i'd done ! :o !
Cheers Vk. :D .

Tranberg
Rides:: Anf125i

Post by Tranberg » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:38 pm

stevew wrote:I'm pretty sure the Wave is a full DC system.
Yes and no.

The positive halfwave from the alternator gets rectified and fed to the battery, the negative halfwave gets rectified and let to the headlight and taillight.

Seen from the headlight, the Waves and Innovas have positive ground, but in reality the frame is neutral, battery +12V and lighting -12V

After successfully fitting an H4 LED headlight bulb drawing only 1½ amps, I have gained almost 2 amps, which I hope to be able to use for a heated west.

Handlebar muffs (I already have heated grips) is on the to do list.

The heated grips are regular Oxford ones, which automatically reduce their power consumption if the voltage drops below 12V

http://www.oxford-products.com/download ... ctions.pdf

stevew
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)

Post by stevew » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:28 pm

Tranberg wrote:
stevew wrote:I'm pretty sure the Wave is a full DC system.
Yes and no.

The positive halfwave from the alternator gets rectified and fed to the battery, the negative halfwave gets rectified and let to the headlight and taillight.

Seen from the headlight, the Waves and Innovas have positive ground, but in reality the frame is neutral, battery +12V and lighting -12V

After successfully fitting an H4 LED headlight bulb drawing only 1½ amps, I have gained almost 2 amps, which I hope to be able to use for a heated west.

Handlebar muffs (I already have heated grips) is on the to do list.

The heated grips are regular Oxford ones, which automatically reduce their power consumption if the voltage drops below 12V

http://www.oxford-products.com/download ... ctions.pdf
Cheers Tranberg,

I'm not sure if i fully understand that as electrics are not my thing !!

Is there any reason to think that the Wave and the FI Innova have the same alternator ?
The reason i ask that is that i have just discovered that the engines are in some parts different. I know that the CCT is different in each, the Wave having the C90 style tensioner! So knowing that i wonder about the alternator ??
I have asked Honda Tech for the output of the alternator and am waiting for the answer.

Can you point me to the LED H4 you got please ? Hoping the Wave has the same fitment.
Think the Wave is a HS1 fitment.

Tranberg

Post by Tranberg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:18 pm

The consensus on the German Innova (and Wave) forum is that the Innova and the Wave both have this system, although the alternator and rectifier/regulator are not interchangeable between Innova and Wave.

I bought this set: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01KBU ... UTF8&psc=1

And Snap-In Electrolytic Capacitor 22000µF 50V 85°C ; ESMH500VSN223MA63T ; 22000uF

Connect the capacitor's plus to the green wire of the position lamp, minus to the yellow wire.

You need to cut down the internal ribs of the headlamp dust cover that goes around the bulb, otherwise the forced required to compress the rubber to insert the LED-bulb assembly into the adapter socket breaks off the adapter's "fingers" DAMHIK

Tranberg

Post by Tranberg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:21 pm

For some stupid reason, only one link per post.

Example

Here's a PDF owner manual for the Wave http://mototh.com/files/honda/wave110i/ ... al-Eng.pdf the dust cover is shown on page 90

onittino3
Rides:: Honda C90, Honda Cb500x

Post by onittino3 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:53 pm

Anyone tried this H4 upgrade ?

http://ebay.us/Ut8oN6

Tranberg

Post by Tranberg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:02 pm

It will work like crap. It's 3 generations back. what you want is as narrow as possible LED, resembling the incandescent filament.

Andrewwoey
Rides:: CM91, plus many others in the garage.

Post by Andrewwoey » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:09 pm

I have tried a H4 led bulb in one of my bikes. They can be a pain to clip in to location due to there size. It was super bright but gave no been pattern. So i stopped using them before i got pulled over, for blinding other road users.

Tranberg

Post by Tranberg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:22 am

Recently they have become much better, and the one I use is hardly worse than a real H4 - or HS1 as the 35W halogen bulb is really called, but gives a halluva lot more light

Not as good as this Phillips, but a fraction of the price

https://youtu.be/kJHsZ2LNk7Q