Heated grips that work well on a small bike ??

Anything else ya ride!
stevew
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)

Re: Heated grips that work well on a small bike ??

Post by stevew » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:19 pm

Capitano wrote: I don't see any recommendations 8-) :lol:
Most likely proves a point :P

Vk/Leeds
Rides:: Suzuki uh200

Post by Vk/Leeds » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:02 pm

I used the velcro Oxford hot hands with my muffs ! :roll: !
They do work well , but add a little girth on the grips and only one set temperature , but once you get used to them they are fine .
All the connections were under the seat in the bin with just a simple on / off switch that I taped to one mirror and routed all cables on the back of the screen and down the spine for easy removal if required . I just undid the plug if I thought they may get tampered with and switched back on , although I have left them on whilst shopping ec..t with no issues .
I had some cheaper velcro ones to start with but one failed about after a year and was unable to replace but all Oxford bit's can be purchased easy and the same plug connector can be used with the charger ect..
Cheers Vk. :D .

spikeyboy60
Jehova Empress
Rides:: 1975 RD200A-2018 Kawasaki X 300-1973 C70 1982 C90C 1982 Camino

Post by spikeyboy60 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi Steve
I had the Oxford Scooter grips on the Jehovah.They were reasonably warm on the highest setting but I never tried the lower setting as the higher setting was only just adequate.
I have got a set of the British Army extreme weather mittens from ebay......they are fantastic,an inner pair that's thermal and an outer pair that's waterproof.......totally dry and warm,even with the heated grips turned off :D :D :D
Drawback of the mitts is operating switchgear etc but you get used to them
See ya soon
Spike

richie the 1st
Rides:: Honda sh 125i/Peouget tweet 125.suzuki address silver/blue

Post by richie the 1st » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:47 pm

Got dr. bike heated grips on,never had any problems ,but these were on when I got it.

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Oxford scooter grips are fitted to the Foresight I passed on to another member.

They consume 3 amps on low and 6 amps on high (72 watts), you really can't feel them on low, so you do need a 300w alternator to power them.

Worth a punt if you have a fully DC setup (and a kick starter) because they will flatten the battery.

How's that for real world experience.

stevew

Post by stevew » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:21 pm

Great thanks DD. On that basis I don't think I'll bother. A flat battery is something I don't want in a FI bike. Nothing to drive the pump so I would be stranded.

Dr_StrangeTrick
Rides:: C90

Post by Dr_StrangeTrick » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:23 pm

I have Oxford Hot hands also, the regular Oxford grips fit 22mm bars but our Hondas have 199mm so the Oxford velcro was the only choice

I have a 100w DC setup so I can't comment on how good they would be on a regular AC setup, but they do work pretty good

Only 'gripe' is when you have to take your hands off for a while they go cold and take a while go get hot again, that and you have to ride claw grip but that applies to any heated grip

stevew

Post by stevew » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:26 pm

I'm pretty sure the Wave is a full DC system.

onittino3
Rides:: Honda C90, Honda Cb500x

Post by onittino3 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Diesel Dave wrote:Oxford scooter grips are fitted to the Foresight I passed on to another member.

They consume 3 amps on low and 6 amps on high (72 watts), you really can't feel them on low, so you do need a 300w alternator to power them.

Worth a punt if you have a fully DC setup (and a kick starter) because they will flatten the battery.

How's that for real world experience.
Yep, I too don't notice them on low unless I'm wearing summer gloves, on high, ive found the faster you go the hotter they get 8-)

Vk/Leeds
Rides:: Suzuki uh200

Post by Vk/Leeds » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:25 pm

stevew wrote:Great thanks DD. On that basis I don't think I'll bother. A flat battery is something I don't want in a FI bike. Nothing to drive the pump so I would be stranded.
I thought that too for the innova ! :( ! but once I left my satnav connected for @ a fortnight in the garage covered over not even a neutral light when ignition turned on ! :shock: ! but it started first kick and all light ect.. resumed as normal with engine running ! 8-) ! but after a run I just disconnected the hot hands lead in the bin and plugged in the trickle charger over night to be on the safe side and never had any more issues with the battery , they consume less than 3 amps with a 2 year warranty and I shall be using mine again when the need arises .
Cheers Vk. :D .