Heated grips that work well on a small bike ??

Anything else ya ride!
stevew
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)

Heated grips that work well on a small bike ??

Post by stevew » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:59 pm

Any recommendations from real world users on little 110s and similar.
I have Oxford on the big Maxi and they are amazing but i know the little Honda Wave's alternator output is definitely insufficient for another set of those!!
So what's out there that works well ??

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Re: Heated grips that work well on a small bike ??

Post by Capitano » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:05 pm

I don't bother, seriously.

I do suffer with painfully cold hands during Winter riding and also working outside.

What I do is fit the little 'uns (the Cub and the Ludix for now) with muffs and use a Keis heated vest to keep my body core warm.

The theory behind it is that by keeping your body core warm, warm blood flows to your extremities. therefore although your hands sometimes feel cold, they don't get painfully cold because of the warm blood flow.

Although some folk have countered this claim, it works for me and the current draw of a heated vest is way below that of regular heated grips.

Andrewwoey
Rides:: CM91, plus many others in the garage.

Post by Andrewwoey » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:36 pm

Capitano wrote:I don't bother, seriously.

I do suffer with painfully cold hands during Winter riding and also working outside.

What I do is fit the little 'uns (the Cub and the Ludix for now) with muffs and use a Keis heated vest to keep my body core warm.

The theory behind it is that by keeping your body core warm, warm blood flows to your extremities. therefore although your hands sometimes feel cold, they don't get painfully cold because of the warm blood flow.

Although some folk have countered this claim, it works for me and the current draw of a heated vest is way below that of regular heated grips.
This is spot on. I suffer from bad circulation to my fingers and toes, and keeping the body core warm stops the white fingers and toes. Those heated vests look very tempting.

stevew

Post by stevew » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:39 pm

Yup, could do that as i have a heated vest that so far this year has gone unused.
But i like warm fingers so i already have a set of muffs fitted and will also have some hand guards on there too once they arrive from China !!

Still would be nice to fit heated grips if there are any out there that do actually get warm on a small bike :P

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:49 am

If you REALLY need to warm up your fingers as well, the Keis heated vest has sockets to attach heated inner gloves.

They draw less current than heated grips again and warm your whole hands rather than just the inner surface.

Thing is, get a decent heated vest and you may find that you don't need to heat your hands as well.

I was a big user of heated grips, and even had a set fitted on my Harley in the Winter until someone told me about the science of body core heating. I tried it with a £15 heated vest that used rechargeable AAs first to see if it would work and it was a revelation. I bought the Keis heated waistcoat very shortly after and simply haven't bothered with heated grips since.

I had a Keis power lead permanently attached to the Cub's battery al last Winter and it didn't give a moment's bother. :)
Andrewwoey wrote: This is spot on. I suffer from bad circulation to my fingers and toes, and keeping the body core warm stops the white fingers and toes. Those heated vests look very tempting.
As Andrewwoey said it's not just your fingers either. Body core heating works for all your extremities. You can have the best heated grips in the world but your toes may still freeze. ;)

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:53 am

The problem with heated grips is the loss of efficiency as there is a shorter thermal path to the steel bars than there is to the hand.

At a guess I'd say around 30 % of the produced heat reaches your hand and even then it's on the inside.

Not saying they are not effective, just that they need to be powerful to overcome the limitations.

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:02 am

Oxford do one for smaller commuter bikes. They are listed on Ebay.

Bogger

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:12 am

Snowboard gloves with a heat pack inside from 99p store ,3 for 99p designed for knees ;) Used these from the dragon a couple of years back when it was -6 they still had heat in them when I got home.

stevew

Post by stevew » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:58 am

I get all that you lot say but that's why i asked ;-

"Any recommendations from real world users"

I am really looking for someone who has actually used these "low current consumption" grips.
I just want to know if the heat up to a level that is worth while.

My hunch is that they are not worth the money, but would like to know.

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:02 pm

stevew wrote: "Any recommendations from real world users"
I don't see any recommendations 8-) :lol: