At last, a Beemer that i like !!

Anything else ya ride!
stevew
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)

At last, a Beemer that i like !!

Post by stevew » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:32 pm

In fact i ask "what's happening here with the new models?"
Suzuki have a new practical 250
Kawasaki have a new practical 300
BMW have a new practical 300
Honda might just missed the boat with their "rally" 250 though. (seat no good for long hauls)
Has the motorcycle world just come to it's senses two or three years after the Chinese, Zongshen with their RX3 ?

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Re: At last, a Beemer that i like !!

Post by knapdog » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:36 pm

I've always been turned off by any bike with a "beak".

stevew

Post by stevew » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:40 pm

knapdog wrote:I've always been turned off by any bike with a "beak".
True, not keen on the beak. But otherwise i like these tiddlers.

Kwaker hasn't got a beak :P

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:12 pm

knapdog wrote:I've always been turned off by any bike with a "beak".
stevew wrote: Honda might just missed the boat with their "rally" 250 though. (seat no good for long hauls)

Being as it's endorsed by Austin Vince I would put money on them being bought for the purpose of racking up huge tours.

Not only by Austin, either. It's already being used for that purpose:-

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/r ... re.998670/

stevew

Post by stevew » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:38 pm

Great bike but:-

Quote from one of the long distance riders. Heard this from others in the UK too. Seat is a pain, literally, after a couple of hours.

_-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Travelling by bike is different from travelling by car as far as sitting comfort is concerned. No heated seat or comfortable bucket seat for us. The stock CRF is sold with a dazzling, bright red seat that is soft and very narrow. It is a fine seat for shorter trips. The stock-seat is however not suitable for longer trips. That became clear during the first real test ride we made in the Netherlands. The first day we got off the bikes with a wooden butt. We both had to dance before blood flowed through the gluteus maximus again.

For new seats we travelled to Midlaren in Drenthe (the Netherlands), to Raymond (http://www.rayz.nl). Raymond is a keen motorcyclist himself who made several very nice trips. He now uses all that travel experience to make really great seats. We were existing customers of Rayz. In 2012 he designed new seats for the Africa Twin and Transalp. We had tested and approved those seats during our trip to Morocco. A sore bum never once was a reason to get off the bike.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Change the seat and the new Rally looks as good as any but never the less it's more off road orientated than the new ones form the others.
You takes your choice :ugeek:

stevew

Post by stevew » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:24 pm

Oh and on the subject of modern Beemers, found this relating to the NEC bike show, as a review.
Think the author may have an axe to grind but i do find myself agreeing with a lot 8-)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the olden days you bought a Boxer, a K75 or K100 and knew that it would take you safely round Europe and not break down. The performance and handling were pretty uninspiring, the switchgear a bit strange and the bike was a bit heavy but it would get you there and back in relative safety and comfort. Put simply, in the past BMW built rock solid reliable bikes that were still good and worth something five years later irrespective of mileage.

And now they build toys. Toys for people with far too much money and no idea of the mechanical nature of what goes on under the designer plastic that adorns many of the new machines. I think what really got me going yesterday was the reverse gear on the latest 1600 GTL. I was quite in awe of the 1600GT when it first came out as I do have a penchant for sport touring bikes. But when the fly by wire throttle goes wrong due to ingress of rainwater, or the other handgrip with all the weird controls goes doolally due to overheating then I begin to wonder. My clients tell me that brake discs that used to last 100,000 miles are now beyond service limits after 15,000 miles. Wheel bearings fail due to lack of lubrication or cheap components. Shaft drives suffer catastrophic mechanical failure and new models get Do Not Use labels due to faulty rear suspension components.

All of this on bikes with a five figure price tag?

And yet people go back for more.

I listened to some Herman on the BMW Stand sounding off proudly about a separate department that BMW have established to develop their custom bikes. I looked at the poxy paintjob, the crude headlamp "design" and the weird concoction that some design lab in Stuttgart have cobbled together and call the NineT. Listen - the Boxer is plain clumsy and ugly and makes a lousy custom bike. No matter what you do with a metalflake aerosol...

I wandered over to the smaller GS bikes to try to understand what is going on with the mid range machines. I asked a potential customer if he understood the difference between an F800 and a F700 GS and he (like me) was simply confused.. F800 is 800cc. The F700 is 800cc. Stupid or what? And then you take a look at the critical components that stick out directly in front of the engine on both of these machines - the oil filter and rectifier unit directly in the path of any detritus thrown up by the front wheel. No bash plate in sight. Great design chaps. Not only does it look minging but it is highly likely to shorten the life of the bike by component failure.

These smaller GS models look cheap and nasty but as they carry a BMW badge they also carry a hefty price tag. Just like the BMW scooters...

OK enough. The water cooled GS is an awesome piece of kit if you want to throw a lot of money at a bike that handles well but it is simply overdressed in the Adventure format. If you want to ride on dirt tracks through Poland I am sure that a massive tank and three munition boxes are a pre-requisite. Personally I prefer a Tiger. But that's the Explorer rather than the Panzer Division...

I did like the RT and I am sure it is a nice bike. The seat is low and there's lots of gizmos to play with. That is if you don't understand what a clutch is and really need the hillstart function. Or a heater to warm your bum. Or heated grips. Get real chaps. The Bike park at the NEC yesterday was empty. All the Beemers with a £20k price tag are on SORN certificates in the heated garages of detached houses... I know this because when you trade in your £20k prized possession with more than 4000 miles per year usage the penalty on the trade-in is punitive.

We really have come a long way from the bullet proof 80,000 mile BMWs of yesteryear...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Worth a laugh though :twisted: :twisted:

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:37 pm

Ace! :lol:

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:55 pm

Regarding the above, I think non BMW owners are wary of buying a beemer.
I owned an air cooled beemer and now have the water cooled RT. My bike is fully loaded and would have cost £17500 brand new. I bought it 9 months old for £12200 on a private sale. I was lucky. He couldn't handle the weight of the bike with his wife on the back and she really didn't enjoy it. He was desperate for the sale so he could pay off the finance to get something smaller. I know these things as I saw the contract. The same bike in a dealer would have been £14800.
That's a shed load of depreciation but it was the owner who bought it from new who is going to suffer the most. If I sold mine next year I'd still get a very good price for it.
Most people wouldn't entertain an RT. They could be regarded as proper bikers. Bikers who don't mind getting their hands dirty and have little time for engine management systems etc, etc. Now that is the category I sway more towards and would have been happy to subscribe to for ever and a day. That is until I bought an RT.
It really is an absolute joy to ride. I love it. It's like riding a magic carpet (heated).
I'm 65 and I have no idea how many years riding I have left but I feel as if I've worked hard to deserve this bit of luxury. I would have to think very, very hard to fault it.
BMW certainly know how to charge and I shall be taking out the extended warranty next September for peace of mind as when things go wrong they'll hit your wallet.
They aren't for everyone but as a powerful, slick, comfortable tourer, they take some beating.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:14 pm

Well, my first BMW is sat out back with a cover over it, as yet untouched. I've not got excited about it yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get it in the garage before too long, and see what I have, :D

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:21 pm

The boxer engine in all it's forms is an ace engine. I really like my ST. It's not good for commuting but great at everything else. Err anyone got some panniers that'll fit it. BMW ones that is?

Bogger