Peugeot Vox Progress Report

Anything else ya ride!
johnwoodgate
Rides:: 2016 Peugeot Vox

Peugeot Vox Progress Report

Post by johnwoodgate » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:42 pm

Hello Everyone,
I'm still enjoying riding my Peugeot Vox which I bought new back on the 25th July this year. I bought the scooter on the strength of the positive reports by other rider/owners on this forum and have been very favourably impressed. I have just passed the 1000 miles mark. The bike had its first service on the 26th August. I had to ride it to Ipswich (25miles) to have the work carried out by Davey Brothers, the Peugeot scooter agent.
There is just one thing that gives me the occasional problem. I haven't quite mastered the technique of doing smooth gear changes from 4th to 3rd when i come to a steep hill. Have any other Vox riders got anything to say on this? I also find the fuel tank to be rather small and I generally take a 5 litre petrol can in the top box when I go to fill up at a filling station and then top up from that at home rather than pay frequent visits to get petrol. I seem to use about 5 litres of petrol a month doing day trips. I'm 69 and retired so I can pick and choose my days. On average I am doing rides of under 2 hours. The scooter is very reliable and always starts first time even when cold and I always use the electric-starter. Lots of other motorcyclists have made positive comments about the look of the scooter. I always make a point of speaking to other riders and asking them about the machines they ride when I park in the bike park on the Arc Shopping Centre car park in Bury St Edmunds.
John Woodgate

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: Peugeot Vox Progress Report

Post by wightegi » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:52 pm

Changing down ,blip the throtle to bring the revs up ;) . or in other words off with the power gear pedal down and rev the engine to bring the revs up to the speed it will need for the lower gear.
Fuel tank is there a neck inside the filler to stop you overfilling it ,full tanks could overflow in hot weather in hot countries.Put a couple of small holes in the neck with a sharp screwdriver or bradawl and a small hammer to hit it with.you may get an extra litre in.

JohnS
Rides:: .2019 Honda C125

Post by JohnS » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:56 pm

Another method of changing down when you want to maintain your speed is to keep the throttle in the same position and change gear quickly. Your engine revs will increase to suit the lower gear.

Bill/Rubery
Rides:: Peugeot Vox 110 cc

Post by Bill/Rubery » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Hello John, As Wightegi says,.... blip the throttle a LIITLE bit to change down...I have to as I swopped the rocking gear change lever for a simple 'up and down' one and top gear is a stiff bugger to go down! If you ride slow like me I only use half a tank of petrol at a time so I usually top up when the fuel gauge hits half full. Just got back from a Far East holiday where 'our' type of motorcycle reigns supreme...the locals ride them flat out two up...along pavements, down the wrong way of one way streets and over take on blind bends. No wonder a local big-wig was commenting on the 4,500+ deaths of riders each year!!

johnwoodgate
Rides:: 2016 Peugeot Vox

Post by johnwoodgate » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:55 am

Thank you Wightegi, John S and Bill Rubery for your advice about gear changing. Bill may I ask what the replacement gear pedal was? Yes I too am a slow rider; I have never ridden the scooter faster than 35mph. After many years riding a Dutch bicycle even 30mph feels like the speed of light by comparison! By the way if any one on the forum wants any information about The Netherlands ask me and I will do what I can to help. I speak fluent Dutch and have strong connections with that country. John in Suffolk.

Tranberg
Rides:: Anf125i

Post by Tranberg » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:39 pm

Please don't call a CUB a scooter. CUB's aka underbones are in a different league.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:45 pm

Tranberg wrote:Please don't call a CUB a scooter. CUB's aka underbones are in a different league.
Back in the 70s, Cubs and derivatives were described as "Scooterettes". :)

The Devon Rider
Rides:: Peugeot Vox

Post by The Devon Rider » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:22 pm

Good to hear that you are enjoying your new Peugeot. I still have my Vox and still enjoy riding my three year old machine.

The finish has proved to be good and it still starts and runs well so I anticipate keeping mine for many years ahead. That was my mistake many years ago when I sold the Cub I owned!!

Let's hope the weather is good this winter.

Bill/Rubery
Rides:: Peugeot Vox 110 cc

Post by Bill/Rubery » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:09 pm

Hello John, You asked about the gear pedal on my Vox?? I find the space between the gear change pedal and the bike frame narrow and on several occasions I have had my 'Rigger' boots stick in this space...which is rather alarming when it happens as I am/was changing down on approaching junctions. If your interested get a spare rocking pedal off Three Cross Motorcycles (importers) and SAW OFF the rear pedal of the lever. You can now change up and down like on a normal bike.....simples...

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:28 am

You can get a pit bike gear lever for £4.50. ;)