My New Bike

Anything else ya ride!
Dylan
Rides:: C90G 1987

My New Bike

Post by Dylan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:09 pm

Today I had my first real ride of my new Aprilia Mana. I had a dentist appointment first thing and decided afterwards to treat myself to a morning off so I could try out the bike. I did have a quick blast on it last week when it was delivered but to be honest I didn't totally enjoy it as I was a little scared of it being my first time back on a big bike since my accident back in 2003. Anyway today I had a word with myself and have spent the morning riding it on A roads, motorway and lots of quiet country lanes. I loved it! It really is a comfortable bike to ride with plenty of power for me. In fact I'm riding it in its slowest 'rain' mode which delivers the power gentler and for now it still feels like shit of a shovel. I may work up to the standard 'touring' mode but can't see me ever going into 'sport'! For those that don't know, the bike is basically an auto. It's a CVT and can be ridden in full auto, changing gears via tiptronic + - buttons on the left grip or by using the traditional foot gear lever, but there is no clutch to pull.

I always ride my C90 with my left hand just laid on my lap and that's comfortable and natural but last night I got thinking about the possibility of attaching my left hand the the handlebar left grip to see if it would improve anything or have any type of effect to me riding, so this morning out came the Velcro. A strip on my glove palm and a strip on the grip. I must say it felt weird to me and unnatural and kept taking it off but decided I should persevere! In the end it feels like it makes quite a big difference in stability and also makes me look more normal! It could be the placebo effect, I'm not sure but I'm going to keep at it. Unfortunately the Velcro on my glove only lasted about 90 mins before coming unstuck so I need to sew a strip on (well the wife does).

The one thing I need to do (with the help of Diesel Dave, my wonderful forum friend ;) ) is fix an indicator on the right side. It was an interesting ride today choosing a route without indicating! I had to totally adapt my route and direction to traffic around me so as not to piss anyone off!

It's just a shame it's now the end of summer! Once I get the indicator sorted I will try and get some miles in over the next 3 or 4 weeks before the shite weather arrives.

fatboytours
Rides:: C90T,C70 12v, C125, BMW 1200GSA, Triumph Thruxton R, Blood bike BMW R1250RT

Re: My New Bike

Post by fatboytours » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:47 pm

Dylan, I'm liking it and your adaptions to suit your particular use will be very interesting. I'm sure the indicator switch can be overcome as these sort of things are tackled when somebody brings a motocross bike up to enduro standards. Sure I,ve seen something at the Bike show at the NEC last year.

onittino3
Rides:: Honda C90, Honda Cb500x

Post by onittino3 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Nice One Dylan, the bike looks great, must be nice feeling to get back on the horse after so many years :)

Dylan

Post by Dylan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:18 pm

onittino3 wrote:Nice One Dylan, the bike looks great, must be nice feeling to get back on the horse after so many years :)
It's a bit different to the C90 donkey :)

It is nice to ride and not have to full throttle constantly but the cub is still better through the twisties :D

Dylan

Post by Dylan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:24 pm

fatboytours wrote:Dylan, I'm liking it and your adaptions to suit your particular use will be very interesting. I'm sure the indicator switch can be overcome as these sort of things are tackled when somebody brings a motocross bike up to enduro standards. Sure I,ve seen something at the Bike show at the NEC last year.
Well I have bought a couple of different switches to give options and I've spoken to Dave and he's going to kindly help me wire something up. Not sure how it will look but for this I'm more concerned about ease of use rather than aesthetics.

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:37 pm

This switch looks nice and compact...

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/p ... out-switch

I went a different way for my new auto......

No more rollers, belts, clutches or variators to maintain. No more fuel pumps and endless panel clips and self tapping screws.

Dylan

Post by Dylan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Diesel Dave wrote:I went a different way for my new auto......

No more rollers, belts, clutches or variators to maintain. No more fuel pumps and endless panel clips and self tapping screws.
When I noticed this disappeared off Ebay I had a feeling you may have bagged it :) Congratulations, I am a little jealous. I still do fancy one of these at some pont.

fatboytours
Rides:: C90T,C70 12v, C125, BMW 1200GSA, Triumph Thruxton R, Blood bike BMW R1250RT

Post by fatboytours » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:00 pm

Dylan, I should hang on, won't be long before dave gets bored with it and sells it on

onittino3
Rides:: Honda C90, Honda Cb500x

Post by onittino3 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Diesel Dave wrote: I went a different way for my new auto......

Nice one... I too spotted this on Ebay, I take it you going to leave the fairing and boxes as they are, it got such a cool retro look, which is something you don't see a lot of on the roads these days...well apart from a cub :)

ally
Rides:: forza 300 v90, v75a, c90-g, fj1200, CG125ES, cb250, ybr250

Post by ally » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:06 pm

funny, I was looking at that also

:)