What's the better BMW's to go for?

Anything else ya ride!
BenB
The Byway Bad Boy!
Rides:: C90E gold, MSX125 and CRF1000 Africa Twin

Re: What's the better BMW's to go for?

Post by BenB » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:30 pm

knapdog wrote:I don't know much about other beemers apart from the fact that I can't understand those buying the 1200GS and they're never taken off tarmac. Pure image thing if you ask me.
I really don't agree with that. GSs have a real stigma that stops many from buying them. A GS is a different bike. The riding position is very different, the gearing not so long (which makes low speed stuff easier), and they ride beautifully. Biking is about choice and balance. A GS won't suit all, but it's a great bike.

Oh, and when you run out of Tarmac in Eastern Europe, that 1% off-road use will be for more important.... ;)

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Bogger wrote:The F800GS was purchased new. A big mistake. It was an awful bike. Snatchy horrible fueling, dreadful screen and the worst seat ever manufactured in the world, ever.
Bogger
Ah now that's interesting! I have binned my idea of a Deauville and am contemplating a F800GT SE. Seems to suit my shortish legs and will definitely buy from a BMW dealer as you get 2 years warranty and 2 years Europe wide recovery on their 2nd hand bikes. The SE has all the toys including panniers and Navigator, traction control and adjustable damping. They sell a "Comfort" seat as an option so maybe this is to redress the arseache.
Hopefully next week I am going to Guildford to take a demonstrator out for the day (they have 2 x SE pre-reg at a good saving on new, although I am tempted to buy new as I have never had a brand new vehicle - left that to my ex wives).

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:37 pm

They are all rubbish ,you know what Vic said ..the K100 can hold 16 cans of cider in the bodywork without using the panniers or top box. ;) :D

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:48 pm

bikerbaker wrote:
Bogger wrote:The F800GS was purchased new. A big mistake. It was an awful bike. Snatchy horrible fueling, dreadful screen and the worst seat ever manufactured in the world, ever.
Bogger
Ah now that's interesting! I have binned my idea of a Deauville and am contemplating a F800GT SE. Seems to suit my shortish legs and will definitely buy from a BMW dealer as you get 2 years warranty and 2 years Europe wide recovery on their 2nd hand bikes. The SE has all the toys including panniers and Navigator, traction control and adjustable damping. They sell a "Comfort" seat as an option so maybe this is to redress the arseache.
Hopefully next week I am going to Guildford to take a demonstrator out for the day (they have 2 x SE pre-reg at a good saving on new, although I am tempted to buy new as I have never had a brand new vehicle - left that to my ex wives).
Ah. Now the F800GT is a bike that I know just a little about and at one time I thought it would be my next bike.
Back in April billyfix was on the verge of buying one. He loved what he saw. He arranged the test ride and was very close to buying a rear hugger he'd seen on ebay in the same colour. Everything seemed right about it. Size, seat height, belt drive, everything.
And then came the day of the test ride and I followed him on my cbf1000. Half way through the test ride he stopped and said, "Tell me what you think of this". So we swopped bikes. I made up my mind in a hundred yards.
At the end of the ride we both came to the same conclusion - In our opinion it was a heap of s**te.
Plasticky, agricultural, dreadful switchgear whereby you were worried the indicator switch would snap off. Some may like it but we didn't. He went straight out and bought a cbf1000 gt mk 2.

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:55 pm

BenB wrote:
knapdog wrote:I don't know much about other beemers apart from the fact that I can't understand those buying the 1200GS and they're never taken off tarmac. Pure image thing if you ask me.
I really don't agree with that. GSs have a real stigma that stops many from buying them. A GS is a different bike. The riding position is very different, the gearing not so long (which makes low speed stuff easier), and they ride beautifully. Biking is about choice and balance. A GS won't suit all, but it's a great bike.

Oh, and when you run out of Tarmac in Eastern Europe, that 1% off-road use will be for more important.... ;)
I'm sure the bike itself is magnificent for what it was designed for.
What makes me chuckle is the commuters who seemingly just use it for commuting, dressed up to the nines in all the Ewan McGregor/Charlie Boorman BMW Sahara/Tropical gear in the middle of Cardiff, on the way to work. Plonkers.

BenB
The Byway Bad Boy!

Post by BenB » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:58 pm

knapdog wrote: I'm sure the bike itself is magnificent for what it was designed for.
What makes me chuckle is the commuters who seemingly just use it for commuting, dressed up to the nines in all the Ewan McGregor/Charlie Boorman BMW Sahara/Tropical gear in the middle of Cardiff, on the way to work. Plonkers.
+1

stevew
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)

Post by stevew » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:19 pm

BenB wrote: Loads of choice second hand.)
Why ??

Chimp
Formerly c90cpc
Rides:: 1965 CT200, 2013 CB500X, 2013 Grom, 2019 RE Bullet Trials

Post by Chimp » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:42 am

Because people buy them and realise their adventure is the weekly shop at tescos so sell them for something more suitable :lol:

BenB
The Byway Bad Boy!

Post by BenB » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:16 am

Chimp wrote:Because people buy them and realise their adventure is the weekly shop at tescos so sell them for something more suitable :lol:
Yup! And there are loads sold each year. More of them about, generally.

Dogsbody
Rides:: Greeves Silverstone(2) Oulton (1), Burgman 400, C125 And CT125,, Honda 400/4

Post by Dogsbody » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:48 am

Speaking of BMWs, I spotted this but realistically it is a project for someone younger than me.
http://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/6877 ... eries-1978
Dogsbody