TomTom mount on an Innova

Anything else ya ride!
steveindenmark
Rides:: Moto Guzzi 1100i, Moto Guzzi Cardellino 65cc, Yamaha XT 250 Serow

TomTom mount on an Innova

Post by steveindenmark » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:07 pm

I am going to do this arxe about face as the power socket has not arrived yet and I think that end of things is pretty easy.

The main problem that I could see was mounting the TomTom. I couldnt see a place to put it, ut Diesel Dave stepped up to help and sent me a link of E Bay and like an excited bunny, I sent my money off in seconds and waited for the ram mount to arrive.

Here is lesson 1.

Even when seasoned professionals like Dave send you links, check the small print. Actually, it is f... Off massive print, which I didnt look at. If you dont this is what happens. Sorry for the crap photo, but mine is on the right. As you can see the one from e.bay is far too big.

Now unlike cub riders, Innova riders dont cry in their coffee. :D We make good Jobs out of bad Jobs.

So thanks Dave my overalls have never been so organised.....not at that price anyway.

So now I go back to mounting the TOMTom. Mine is quite new and does not have the model on it but the mount is a circular, sucker affair that you twist to lock. If you have one you know. I ordered a replacement off ebay and pulled the original to pieces and cut off the Ball mount.

I mounted this onto a round piece of flooring. This is just a test and if it works the disc will be made of metal. I drilled a hole the size of the wing mirror stem and pushed it through. Dont forget when taking the nuts off the wing mirror, turn them right to undo them.

I will try the gps tomorrow and if it works I will make the White disc in metal and bolt the Ball mount onto it.

I will come back to this when the socket arrives.

If anyone knows of a better or cheaper way to mount it please let me know.

Vk/Leeds
Rides:: Suzuki uh200

Re: TomTom mount on an Innova

Post by Vk/Leeds » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Linky :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190723018902? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Hi, I use one of these which is roughly the same and just clamps onto the wing mirror mount rubber , the clamp is left in place all the time and just fit my cheapo satnav into the water proof case with the odd pad and it has never fallen off and works well ! :o !
Although I did need to make a little cut in the case to allow the power cable / ear piece in because the bottom entry hole did not fit my particular satnav very good ! :( ! but at this price has served me well ! 8-) !
Cheers Vk. :D .

steveindenmark

Post by steveindenmark » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:11 am

I have one of those VK. But I have trouble seeing the screen when its sunny so I like to keep it out of a case. If it rains I use a plastic bag and elastic band and it works a treat.

I tried the gps on that made up mount and it works fine. I will make one up in metal today. Hopefully the marine socket will turn up this weekend.

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:36 am

I've used a long hood made of that corrugated plastic to keep the sun off the screen.

Looks daft from the side but you hardly notice when riding as it pointed directly at your eyes.

Secured with gaffa tape to the top and sides.

scubabiker
Rides:: 86 VF750, 09 TOMOS, 91 R100GSP/D, 91 12v C90. plus the camaro

Post by scubabiker » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:32 pm

i bought a satnav holder thing recently. similar to this
https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/givi-s9 ... t=50122296

but not exactly, it came with a bag full of different mount plates, including one for a mirror

http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/cosmo ... =169260990

like that.... it was pricey, i payed around 800NOK for the whole thing, but it works well and it has 2 little outlet holes so you can run an earpeice thing if you want...

Scootinator
Rides:: Innova and an Innova streetcub in bits

Post by Scootinator » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:30 pm

When I had a Satnav on my Vespa, I just rubber suckered it onto the speedo glass. The satnav is a better speedo than the Vespa one. job done :D

steveindenmark

Post by steveindenmark » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:39 pm

I tried that and on the screen but it wouldn't stay. The solution I came up with is ideal for what I want.

steveindenmark

Post by steveindenmark » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:42 pm

raybarber
Rides:: Honda SH300

Post by raybarber » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:03 pm

I can't see any of the pictures, which is a shame as I want to do the same thing.

stevew
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)

Post by stevew » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Got my Zumo mounted on the Wave using RAM bits.
Clamped under the mirror extensions.

eBay item number:

Can do piccies if it would help.
Dead simple though ;)