cb100

Anything else ya ride!
mark1982
Rides:: 1977 c90Z2 , cb 100. yam t80. yam rs100. cub wannabe red 1976 C90 Z2

cb100

Post by mark1982 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:16 am

ive just been offered a cb100 cheap of my mate the 1 with the cable disk front break not sure if they've all got them what are they like to ride and on petrol?

Jon

Re: cb100

Post by Jon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:42 am

Nothing wrong with the brake providing they are carefully serviced!

The thing to check is how they idle. If it idles poorly, with the idle speed going up and down, it can be a symptom of worn cam journals. it should be able to idle slowly and smoothly.
The cam runs directly into the head
and if they have been abused or run out of oil the cam wears the head away where it sits and then moves up and down in the clearance it has created. As the points are on the end of the cam the ignition timing then alters as the points gap changes. You might be able to pop the points cover off and give the points cam a wiggle. If it moves up and down at all...the head's knackered. Basically it'll need a new head and they are very hard to find in good order....And over £200 for new ones.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-CB100-CL1 ... 2a379a4bb0

I bodged one once using bits of razor blades as shims under the cam but it was a very short term solution...

If it is good, they're great little bikes...100 mpg or much better if use gently

mark1982
Rides:: 1977 c90Z2 , cb 100. yam t80. yam rs100. cub wannabe red 1976 C90 Z2

Post by mark1982 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:07 am

ok thanks i will give that a go when next down the garage see if there is any play i shouldnt think it would been thrashed tho it was an old guy that sold it to my mate ill still check tho make sure. there not to bad on juice then only going to plod around the lanes on it mostly i hardly ever go on main roads unless going on club meet thats only time i.do

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:35 pm

mark1982 wrote:ok thanks i will give that a go when next down the garage see if there is any play i shouldnt think it would been thrashed tho it was an old guy that sold it to my mate ill still check tho make sure. there not to bad on juice then only going to plod around the lanes on it mostly i hardly ever go on main roads unless going on club meet thats only time i.do
My experience of the one I had briefly in the '90's and trying to source a head was that most had been killed by learners even by then so if that one is still healthy it'll be quite rare and a nice little bike. Honda claim around 11 bhp too so reasonably brisk for such a small capacity.