Innova gearing

Anything else ya ride!
Jon

Re: Innova gearing

Post by Jon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Mark Shelley wrote:
guildbass wrote:
Our poster wanted more speed but like i said, you're not really changing the power so it'll go pretty much the same speed irrespective of the gearing as the factors cancel out.
If that were true, why do you need to change down into a head wind or on a hill, infact why do bikes have gears at all?
When you change down you lose top speed but gain rear wheel torque...It's a trade-off. We however were discussing increasing speed weren't we?

In terms of going faster. Remember the innova will top out in third at it's max speed so one could assume that every increment between the existing top gear and a top gear equivalent to what is now third will have the same top speed!

As has been said, try it!

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:40 am

I think it'll work. Maybe at a slight economy expense but not much.

ll81
Rides:: CBF125 Z250SL

Post by ll81 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:22 am

The thing to remember here is overdrive with the engine power curve being intercepted at a lower point relative to a higher point on the load curve due to the combination of all load factors in the higher gears.

I have down geared bikes to allow more continual top speed and better pulling to cope with the harsh Lincolnshire winds that howl across the fields. You sacrifice some economy and obviously loose that lovely backwind top speed you can't normally achieve on a still day but IMO it is worth the trade off if you have a long ride to work and back as it sure is annoying revving out in one gear less than top when you want somewhere between that current gear and the bogging down the overdrive in top would give you.

Always worked well for me, I would say though my Innova pulling my 16 stone will happily scream to cringe worthy levels in fourth on standard gearing unless presented with a decent headwind. It takes a severe wind to have me down in third unable to increase speed in fourth.

Jon

Post by Jon » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:46 pm

ll81 wrote:The thing to remember here is overdrive with the engine power curve being intercepted at a lower point relative to a higher point on the load curve due to the combination of all load factors in the higher gears.

I have down geared bikes to allow more continual top speed and better pulling to cope with the harsh Lincolnshire winds that howl across the fields. You sacrifice some economy and obviously loose that lovely backwind top speed you can't normally achieve on a still day but IMO it is worth the trade off if you have a long ride to work and back as it sure is annoying revving out in one gear less than top when you want somewhere between that current gear and the bogging down the overdrive in top would give you.

Always worked well for me, I would say though my Innova pulling my 16 stone will happily scream to cringe worthy levels in fourth on standard gearing unless presented with a decent headwind. It takes a severe wind to have me down in third unable to increase speed in fourth.
The other thing is that the injected model like the poster's makes it's maximum torque at 3000 rpm. these engines are extremely long stroke for emissions reasons but it does mean you don't gain as much as you would merely sacrificing the typical 1000 rpm of 'over-rev protection.

It'll do something...be interesting to see exactly what!

p.s...Don't forget that the speedometer is driven off the gearbox sprocket so dropping the gearing will make the speedo more optimistic. It WILL read faster, If you drop a tooth off the front you reduce it by about 8 percent which is on top of the ten percent (ish) the speedo is already optimistic. The bike will hit or exceed your benchmark on the speedo deceptively easily but it will do so because 60 mph is no longer a true 55 mph, but is now a true 51mph so the bike will probably get close to an indicated 70 on the road while actually still doing a true 60......

Mark Shelley
Rides:: ANF125, R1100GS, R1150R, GUZZI T3 & V50

Post by Mark Shelley » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:01 pm

I realise the speed readings will change. I intend to get some base readings on a day with no wind using my satnav so I can make a true comparison once I do the conversion.

ll81

Post by ll81 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:08 pm

guildbass wrote:
It will down gear it and allow it to pull higher loads easier. It's simple mechanical principles, you couldn't gear the thing to do 60 at 3000 RPM and expect it to still do it just because the engine produces peak torque at that point.

The principles of energy still exist true as in all instances, the energy required to move an object at a certain velocity has to be produced by the power source driving said object.

Engine RPM increase by lower gearing causes a lower load on the engine at the same time allowing the revs to get higher so the engine produces more power with a higher power to load ratio. It isn't just simply a matter of blabbing on about torque and long strong and blah blah blah.

Black Sheep Radical
New kid on the Comel
Rides:: CT90, Восхо́д, 50ZZ, Fusion, C90, Helix, Comel

Post by Black Sheep Radical » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:07 am

Bill/Rubery wrote:When I read the lead message of this topic I started laughing! When I had a Royal Enfield 350cc...(Indian made)...I was on that make's forum. We used to get messages like this. we suggested that if the rider wanted to go faster then he should purchase a Fireblade!
I'm sure the rider in question was most grateful for such useful advice :roll:

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:29 am

ll81 wrote:
guildbass wrote:
It will down gear it and allow it to pull higher loads easier. It's simple mechanical principles, you couldn't gear the thing to do 60 at 3000 RPM and expect it to still do it just because the engine produces peak torque at that point.

The principles of energy still exist true as in all instances, the energy required to move an object at a certain velocity has to be produced by the power source driving said object.

Engine RPM increase by lower gearing causes a lower load on the engine at the same time allowing the revs to get higher so the engine produces more power with a higher power to load ratio. It isn't just simply a matter of blabbing on about torque and long strong and blah blah blah.
Absolutely... but the simple fact is, it won't go any faster. just spin faster to go the same speed ....It'll use the same amount of fuel too.

You'll see.

ll81

Post by ll81 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:49 am

Under heavy load it will, such as into head wind as the fella originally pondered.

I'm not some dumb ass who thinks going along with super low gearing makes a bike go faster.