I purchased a new Peugeot 110cc Vox

Anything else ya ride!
Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Re: I purchased a new Peugeot 110cc Vox

Post by Capitano » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:28 am

I'm interested in the Vox too.

I'd like another C90 but I've been watching ebay, Gumtree, Friday Ad etc for about 18 months and very few have come up that I'd have bought...and those that I would have bought, someone beat me to 'em! :D

Bill/Rubery
Rides:: Peugeot Vox 110 cc

Post by Bill/Rubery » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:43 am

You should tread carefully Capitano as a lot of people abuse bikes such as Honda cubs expecting them to go at Fireblade speeds when they were designed for slower speeds! Two great message from Hwaver and Guildbass, most informative. When I first started being interested in motorcycles I entered a competition for the prize of a Honda 50. My dad asked at work about Japanese bikes and the English motorcyclists there rubbished the Jap bike...(bad welding/bad mechanics, ect.) and look what I brought? A new BSA BANTAM D7 whose cranckcase was 'blowing' at 600 miles. I had to take the engine in a cardboard box on the bus to BSA works to get it fixed. In the 1960's going to work I used to see broken down bike's by the side of the road a lot. When jap bikes took over....no broken down bikes.....!

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:34 pm

I have been, probably too carefully. Trouble is treading carefully has meant being cub-less for longer. :lol:

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:51 pm

hwaver wrote:chinese, chinese, chinese....
I remember a time when we called them bikes from far east "jap rice cookers": No character, no sound, no power, plastics used where real steel is supposed to be, ... and all these girly fairings. And last but not least crappy copies of real european engeneering and so on...
Well where are those real bikes of real factories? younger peeps dont even remember the names. Them euro kings of the world rested on their laurels and kept sleeping. Some of them even laughed on Honda even when they finished one of the toughest races of the world the IOM TT. A few years later we heard (and said) I dont need no toolkit I ride Honda ;)
Or remember when Toyota tried to copy Jeeps and lateron Landrovers... Man we had a good laugh didnt we? And nowadays?
Or just look back some ten years there was just one company and one name for mobiles Nokia. Well....
Watch out ole Europe, you´re the best in technology of yesterday. Maybe the Japanes do better. BTW the wave 110i is built in Vietnam with a AFAIK chinese motor...
just my two cents ;)
They build them in several places and they were designed in Thailand. The engine isn't the same as the Chinese C90 copy engines in the Vox and others. Those engines are shorter stroke and need more revs/lower gearing to work effectively. The Wave range use proprietary Honda long stroke designs. again, designed by Honda Thailand

hwaver
Rides:: Innova`2010, Innova`2009, rat: CB 450s`1986

Post by hwaver » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:15 pm

yes of course. The manufacturer section on german Wave and Innova papers reads Thaihonda. The worldwide marketing is done under one roof thogh. Nice concept in my opinion. BTW China isnt just a country its continent as big as the US or Europe from Atlantic to Ural with population of almost 1.5 billion and not all of them living in cages and sleeping on trees.
well but back to the vox110. please keep us updated how the beasty works out.

digger06

Post by digger06 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:10 pm

guildbass wrote:
Swamper wrote:just something else to go wrong to me.
True, but I am old enough to remember the die-hard Brit bike guys saying the same about four cylinder bikes and electronic ignition systems :D

!
me too, and a single cyl inj system is prob less likely to go wrong, theres a lot less parts than in a carb, and most mech parts of injection are very simple,
the electronics side is no less reliable than modern ignitions,
which i hated at first, like guildbass,
i do have a softspot for old though, and still like carbs,
but i wouldnt have a set of points on a vehicle now....
i too kept being told english bikes were better then, but i was old/young enough to make my own mind up...
jap all the way, (almost)
still got an old triumph though,
but it runs a suzuki engine :twisted:

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:02 pm

digger06 wrote:
me too, and a single cyl inj system is prob less likely to go wrong, theres a lot less parts than in a carb, and most mech parts of injection are very simple,
the electronics side is no less reliable than modern ignitions,
which i hated at first, like guildbass,
i do have a softspot for old though, and still like carbs,
but i wouldnt have a set of points on a vehicle now....
i too kept being told english bikes were better then, but i was old/young enough to make my own mind up...
jap all the way, (almost)
still got an old triumph though,
but it runs a suzuki engine :twisted:[/quote]

The problem is, while things like Innovas are transport solutions, older bikes are primarily objects to reminisce and love, and there is very little on this earth to compare to the smell of a Tiger 100 when you lift off it's bike cover on a hot day. There's something about the smell of English alloy, oil and high octane fuel that simply screams 'motorcycle'...With all it's rebellious black leathered overtones.. . And while those bloody double cable Amals and the twin contact breaker systems were about as likely to stay in synch as a school orchestra, setting them with a timing light, some fag paper and a couple of pencils in the carbs was the 'work' that earned you the reward of the ride.

I'd bloody love an early Tiger 100...Sweet, soft, revvy and pukka...

dmw1950
Rides:: Enfield Hunter 350/CB125F/Silverwing 600/Vespa250GTS

Post by dmw1950 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:04 pm

I remember buying a brand new C90, I think about 1985, it was kept in a garage at night, the chrome was terrible, starting to rust straight away, I kept it about 6 months and sold it on at work, where the bike got really bad, I think it was made in Brazil. Someone on the site brought a red Vox when they first came out, took some very good pictures of the bike, I would be interested to hear an updated report from him, if he's still got it.
Regards
Dave
BTW, the new Deauville I've got (Spanish Factory?), is the best quality Honda I've had, I think by the time they get to a good quality standard they shut the factory.

Bill/Rubery
Rides:: Peugeot Vox 110 cc

Post by Bill/Rubery » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Too late my dear! I gather he listened to the jungle drums and sold it. Never fear though...I like what I purchased and that is good enough for me. I have my top box on/handlebar muffs fitted/ cheap watch from Argos stuck on the speedo and just enjoying running the Vox in. Its just like any other modern motorcycle, treat it with respect and it will last! Pictures to follow...

JohnS
Rides:: .2019 Honda C125

Post by JohnS » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:39 pm

I don't think Black Country Pete "listened to the jungle drums" Bill.He's done some high mileage trips on C90 step through type bikes.He's a big lad and carries a lot of equipment on them too,much more than most riders.I think he gave the Vox a fair trial and decided it was not for him.I'm glad to hear you like yours.It looks a lovely bike.