Anybody fitted a Givi rack to an Innova?

Anything else ya ride!
Jon

Re: Anybody fitted a Givi rack to an Innova?

Post by Jon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:47 am

hwaver wrote:Dammit you know for sure? You must be a kind of a nosey guy. I wouldn´t even think of having nerves to try this work. Respect for that!
And your year code is A for 2010? If so mine are both earlier :(
Anyway many many thanks in advance!
Well, it seems to me that the only time there have been issues have been with machines where people have attempted to tune them. It only takes a fraction of one percent of all Innovas to seem like a lot if you put them on uTube!

Clearly Honda thought very hard about the big end roller bearing size and loading as they made one specifically for the Innova. It isn't some of-the-shelf part . there's no doubt in my mind that with the correct maintenance the engine has an almost indefinite lifespan. That IS how Honda built their bikes especially the ones for the Asian markets. If the rental guys are having problems, then you can start to look....

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:07 pm

hwaver wrote:Dammit you know for sure? You must be a kind of a nosey guy. I wouldn´t even think of having nerves to try this work. Respect for that!
And your year code is A for 2010? If so mine are both earlier :(
Anyway many many thanks in advance!
The parts department at Fowlers who i originally spoke to emailed me and put me on to a very nice chap called Steve at 'Piston Broke' in Bristol. he has the KFL rods but no KVB rods, further reinforcing the idea that the complete crank assembly is a retro-fit for earlier models. Sadly no engine number info though... It looks like 'from 2010 model year' is the closest we can get.

So, for those peeps looking to get an innova and considering some whacky tuning (bearing in mind the fuel injection can cope with the inlet manifold being actually OFF the head, as mine was, and still run!!!...So it'll be able to compensate for quite a bit of inlet and exhaust tinkering without blinking)....The model available in the UK from 2010 until 2012 has the bigger crank bearing!...Now where's that XR600 top end I had in the shed.....

hwaver
Rides:: Innova`2010, Innova`2009, rat: CB 450s`1986

Post by hwaver » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:14 am

Thats bad news anyway thanks a lot
So now how did we come from a rack to conrods :?: maybe we should ask one of them red or green peeps to shift this part in the proper department....
I agree on your opinion about tuning up but no one of the two guys having those problems did any of that. One has 84.000 kms and one about 20.000 kms on the clock. The one with 20.000 is a 2010 Modelwith tyres week 51/2010 on it so still confusing.

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:12 pm

hwaver wrote:Thats bad news anyway thanks a lot
So now how did we come from a rack to conrods :?: maybe we should ask one of them red or green peeps to shift this part in the proper department....
I agree on your opinion about tuning up but no one of the two guys having those problems did any of that. One has 84.000 kms and one about 20.000 kms on the clock. The one with 20.000 is a 2010 Modelwith tyres week 51/2010 on it so still confusing.
Well...the only thing I can think off is that a very long stroke engine like the Innova has puts more stress on the crank pin especially at very high revs and needle rollers exert a lot of pressure onto the cage per roller under such situations so it could be that the engine requires an extra high sheer oil to guarantee reliability...I'll say no more... :lol: :lol: :lol:

hwaver

Post by hwaver » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:30 am

errr, no as they are no slidebearings but needle bearings they need neither high oilpressure nor some special oil, well as long as its fluid and smeary ;)
Are you really sure about your bearings? Coz the newer one with this defect has the number *********A51068** and is therefore defo younger than yours. Any idea?

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:17 am

hwaver wrote:errr, no as they are no slidebearings but needle bearings they need neither high oilpressure nor some special oil, well as long as its fluid and smeary ;)
Are you really sure about your bearings? Coz the newer one with this defect has the number *********A51068** and is therefore defo younger than yours. Any idea?
i didn't say they need high oil pressure...

Remember the bearing is not simply rotating, it is also coping with a significant acceleration up and down. Long stroke engines have higher piston speeds than short stroke engines and the Innova is exceptionally long stroke yet is still sometimes expected to rev high. The piston and rod are reversing direction rapidly and the needles are being asked to resist that. At higher revs, the only thing stopping the rollers from grinding on the bearing cage is the oil film between the roller and the cage....And at any point, it is a very thin 'line' along each roller's length that is bearing the thrust load.

Obviously Honda know all this and have done the calculations but if you ask a long stroke engine to rev it's heart out, there COULD be times when the oil film isn't good enough. Clearly there was an issue with the earlier ones and the ONLY thing that could have done those bearings in was excessively high thrust loading from the inertia of the piston and conrod. a bigger diameter roller bearing has more surface area to press on the oil film...

hwaver

Post by hwaver » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:33 am

We found that damage of the crank could possibly be caused by too little oil due to a defect gasket. When you open the clutch side to clean the centrifugal filter, you´ll find a triangular plate just above the mesh thingy, fastened by three screws. These three screws are sometimes too tight, so the the gasket underneath is damaged and there is not enough space for enough oil esp. under colder circumstances.
Small cause big impact.