Two Stroke Witchcraft. KX100

Anything else ya ride!
aliengravy
Site Admin
Rides:: Shiny 1987 Honda C90c in red! Cbf600n

Two Stroke Witchcraft. KX100

Post by aliengravy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:19 pm

After having a go on a friend mx bike recently I felt the need to get one and try it properly for myself. An old work colleague offered me his KX100 for free so I went and picked it up. It's feeling a little sorry for itself at the moment, but with a little TLC could be a good low budget bike to find out a, if I'm fit enough for this malarkey, and b. if I'm not too much of a girl to thrash around a muddy track!

Anyway.... The previous owner had given it a top end rebuild with a re bore of the non original liner (they were originally nikasil bores). When he was running it in it seized up on him. I am now in the process of rebuilding it. A new liner in the old barrel was out of the question, 1 it had already been machined and sleeved, and 2 you cant seem to get the liners for that year any more, let alone the chance of it being the same sleeve as was used last time. No over bore left, it was already max'd out. So I bought a second hand, "Good condition" original nikasil bore off of eBay, its on its way. Then I bought a standard piston.

Now the reason I am posting this here, on a primarily 4stroke forum is the witchcraft involved that I don't understand... but someone here may know more about. I'm terrified I will rebuild this thing, and again, it will nip up.....

Running in 2t seems to be an art. Kawasaki state for the KX that it needs to go through 3 heat cycles on rebuild before giving it beans... Normally I just thrash the chinese 4t engines from the off... so I think I need a new strategy with the 2t.
Kawasaki states:
1. cold - idle until warm - cold
2. cold - idle / low throttle until full temp - cold
3. cold - part mid throttle until full temp - cold

Then ride as normal.

Do you guys think this is the best route for these highly strung 2t engines?

The next question is why it seized last time? Here's a pic of the piston. Scoring on the inlet and exhaust side.

My current theory's are:
1. Thrashing from cold
2. Wrong ring gapping (apparently sometimes you have to file the rings to the right tolerance?)
3. lean running

What do you guys reckon? I need to prevent it next time, as its cost enough already :lol:

davebike
Rides:: C90G(12v) NC750X dct msx125 Grom

Re: Two Stroke Witchcraft. KX100

Post by davebike » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:12 pm

Looks like thrashing from cold or wrong oil Is it pre mix or pumped?
If pumped check the pump cable and setting
Check the mains and big end while you have the top off poorly mains can mean weak mixture and piston sizes

Dave

aliengravy
Site Admin
Rides:: Shiny 1987 Honda C90c in red! Cbf600n

Post by aliengravy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Supposedly the mains have been changed, and all feels tight there!
Its premix....

SamYamT80
Rides:: Yamaha ttr250, Kawasaki KH100

Post by SamYamT80 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:55 pm

My kh100 which is similar size run in is 4000 rpm max 0-500 miles 500-1000miles max 6000rpm, let it warm up thoroughly and low revs when running in

make it run rich asways better, use super unleaded too and good synthetic oil

Cerberus73
Rides:: 2000 C90-T, 86 MZ ETZ 250, 02 Yamaha DragStar 1100A, 90 Suzuki VX800, Honda P50

Post by Cerberus73 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:14 pm

with the scoring on both inlet and exhaust... i would check that when he rebored it, that it was chamfered in.. when a 2T is rebored, the edges of the ports need to be chamfered a tiny amount, to prevent the rings catching on the ports, a lot of back street places will do a bore, but not do this. get the barrel done at a decent 2T tuners, and use a good quality jap made piston.. i really wouldn't trust a taiwanese or chinese piston if your gonna be giving it some beans. same with rings. or your just asking for melted pistons and screwed up bores with snapped rings!

also during run in, reset the oil pump to spec, but also chuck in a little extra in the fuel.. not a lot, a couple extra corks to the tankful, just for the first tank or so of fuel. i would follow the general kwak info regarding the run in, but with the addition of this extra oil in fuel. use a good quality 2T oil, my kwak was great on Motul fully synth 2T (green in colour) smoked a bit more on the cheaper stuff like asdas own brand. and for the smell a tablespoon of castor oil in the tank cant go wrong ;)

EDIT... if its premix alien, get hold of a later pump set up... its far easier to get the right amount, the pump will deliver the right amount of 2T for the throttle, if not its a pain to get it correct for full on throttle, or for low speed, so end up whiskering plugs, holing pistons etc. its a black art.

davebike
Rides:: C90G(12v) NC750X dct msx125 Grom

Post by davebike » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:34 am

Was it per mix when new ??
If you go from pump to pre-mix you need to re jet or the mixture will be weak !!

DAve

ll81
Rides:: CBF125 Z250SL

Post by ll81 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:55 am

I first rebuilt a KX engine with one hand as I had a knife wound through my left hand from an incident the previous night.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the fact it's seized as the KX being a proper crosser needs rebuilding after a couple of good thrashings. Remember it's not a road bike and like any competition based 2T crosser was intended to produce peak power for a few races then be rebuilt, neglect to do that and it will fly apart. Now the KX100 is a little less tuned than the bigger ones being a kids bike but it still won't last long if you thrash the shit out of it.

Bearings will need replacing often too, crossers love chewing up mains and various other internal bearings. I had a gas gas seize the output shaft bearing on me at full bore in 6th. The rear tried to overtake the front several times before I managed to loose enough speed to lay the thing down and go sliding along on my ass for a good distance.

Cerberus73
Rides:: 2000 C90-T, 86 MZ ETZ 250, 02 Yamaha DragStar 1100A, 90 Suzuki VX800, Honda P50

Post by Cerberus73 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:56 am

pretty sure there pump mix from new Dave, the engines same family as KE, KH and KX. I'm willing to bet whoever had it before alien, took the pump off either because it had knackered, or cos they thought it be easier to premix, without rejetting it. and it had a poorly done rebore, so a combo of issues there, prob running on to weak a mixture for high revs, and the pistons been catching slightly on the ports.

Id personally be looking for a pump set up for it.. there not hard to set up and adjust, and get a decent rebore done with a quality jap piston n rings. but yeah they will need rebuilding every few races. so id find a source of cheaper bearings n seals than the OEM kawa spares (quality ones like SKF, KoYo etc.. same as OEM but cheaper from a bearing supplier)

Alien welcome to the world of 2 stroke.. when they go they go some... but when they been butchered and mucked about with by an inexperienced "tuner" then they can be a pig. but hey your a handy lad with the spanners. so I'm sure you will get it running sweet.

ll81
Rides:: CBF125 Z250SL

Post by ll81 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:04 pm

IIRC they are pre-mix, pump wasn't fitted to these early crosser engines.

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:27 pm

aliengravy wrote: My current theory's are:
1. Thrashing from cold
Fatal. I learnt the hard way. Poor FS1E :cry: