Wisdom of Tarmac cycle riding with front suspension ?

Anything else ya ride!
Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Re: Wisdom of Tarmac cycle riding with front suspension ?

Post by Newtsalad » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Well, I find racing bike tyres are more prone to puncturing from gravel, flints and chippings than potholes.

Equating potholes to having an accident is ridiculous too! Potholes don't pull out on you, turn right without indicating, jump red lights, or shout 'Sorry mate I didn't see you!' as you lay writhing in the road!

Try opening your eyes! :P :P :P :P (And get a set of decent lights!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

aliengravy
Site Admin
Rides:: Shiny 1987 Honda C90c in red! Cbf600n

Post by aliengravy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:57 pm

notgotc90 wrote:The idea of avoiding pot holes with lights is utter nonsense.
Should have gone to specsavers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bugsy
Rides:: 2013 -V-strom DL650 ABS - 1986 C90E (12v)

Post by Bugsy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:19 am

notgotc90 wrote:The idea of avoiding pot holes with lights is utter nonsense.
I'd just buy a Hummer - then potholes wouldn't matter :lol: :roll:

Swizz
Rides:: Gazelle Dutchbike. Falcon fixed-gear. (Neither a Cub)

Post by Swizz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:38 am

The cycle commuter group in Denmark "Cycle Chic" criticise the UK road cyclist for unsuitably thin wheels and that the chunkier Danish bike are suited to all year round commuting. Also UK ridng is nwo on very mixed sufavces and the stiff kind of front suspension is better suited to UK kerb hoping short distance communting. But I am not sure when they are too hard work on longer routes
The bikes you see most of on the Danish 'Cycle Chic' website are actually Dutch and come fully equipped - mudguards, rack, dynamo lights, the lot. I have owned one for the last 3 years and find it superb. The riding position negates the need for suspension - I ride down bumpy towpaths regularly with no issues. The upright riding position is not only great in traffic (you're naturally looking up rather than at the front wheel!) but it also takes all the weight off your hands which keeps them warmer in winter by not affecting blood circulation.

What they won't do is cruise at the speeds you have been doing but speed isn't everything...I'm surprised know one has suggested that a Cub would be better for that :D

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:40 am

Swizz wrote:..I'm surprised know one has suggested that a Cub would be better for that :D
:lol: I think the clue is in the name...'notgotc90' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hopefully he will have soon! :D