is any moped or bike more economical than an innova?

Anything else ya ride!
wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: is any moped or bike more economical than an innova?

Post by wightegi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Diesel enfield will do better ,just ask dave. ;)

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:17 pm

wightegi wrote:Diesel enfield will do better ,just ask dave. ;)
I think a lot depends on the speed. If i stuck to forty-45, which is literally just off idle I could easily get 150 plus...I'm sure of that!
That most recent 140 mpg included quite a lot of round town two up riding with both my 16 year old daughter on the back or my 6ft 14 year old son and a 12 mile country jaunt two up too so could well be bettered.
The 406cc yanmar type diesel often fitted to enfields claims about 10 bhp, not a million miles away from the innova's 9 odd. it seems the Enfield will cruise at an indicated 50-55 and top 60...so very similar performance to an injected Innova...Not surprising considering the similarity in power output, and apparently gets around 130-170 mpg depending on use.

The innova does of course have the advantage of considerably more range in each gear (up to 8000rpm compared to 3800 rpm) so can have lower gearing which helps acceleration and it's a lot lighter too!

i think it's quite interesting that the 400cc (ish) diesels manage about the same power as the softly tuned long stroke Honda 125 engine in the Innova. Would be interesting to marry a diesel to a CVT box and not have to worry about the desperately narrow usable power band....Some of the bigger scooter ones might be usable...

notgotc90

Post by notgotc90 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:31 pm

What would be the pros and cons of using tent material or similar (or lycra) with a frame for shape, to experiment with the aerodynamics?

The sort of cheap clothes drying white frame (wire) would bend nicely for a temporary frame and that can be bolted on. Andhrn tent material over it to give an aerodynamic ride with posible increased MPG

Obviously material and a frame would not be road worthy by the road traffc act or ok for insurance purposes at first, but may be of use to build a prototype of soemthig more longterm.

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:14 pm

notgotc90 wrote:What would be the pros and cons of using tent material or similar (or lycra) with a frame for shape, to experiment with the aerodynamics?

The sort of cheap clothes drying white frame (wire) would bend nicely for a temporary frame and that can be bolted on. Andhrn tent material over it to give an aerodynamic ride with posible increased MPG

Obviously material and a frame would not be road worthy by the road traffc act or ok for insurance purposes at first, but may be of use to build a prototype of soemthig more longterm.
To be honest, it's pretty basic stuff. the trick is to leave the air behind you smooth so the front of the bike is less important than the rear and particularly the area behind the rider. the front can be aerodynamic with something as simple as a disc perpendicular to the road...Basically just what an old school round headlamp is. The air hits the disc, forms a high pressure area in the centre of the disc which bulges out creating a perfectly shaped lens effect which fresh air then slides off. All you then have to do is the tricky bit where that air leaking off the lens is supported as it travels back and can flow down a surface rather than breaking into turbulence....

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:15 pm

The other point is...As economy refers to cost...Which goes further on £4's worth of their respective fuels.....

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:48 pm

This ran at last years Le Mans 24 hour race and qualified 15th with a nissan juke 1.6 turbo engine ,skiny front end 1m wide with skiny tyres (they will fit straight on a 2 cv as they have the same stud ptern). The rear is flat and straight so the air leaves it cleanly the raised fin is to comply with regs not for any areo purpose .The front comes to a point and there are no other areo elements at all.The idea of this experimental car was to prove that a well designed car can do well without a 5 litre v8..and did until a toyota pushed into the armco which caused the full management team of toyota to walk down to the nissan pit to appologise..

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:02 pm

wightegi wrote:Image
This ran at last years Le Mans 24 hour race and qualified 15th with a nissan juke 1.6 turbo engine ,skiny front end 1m wide with skiny tyres (they will fit straight on a 2 cv as they have the same stud ptern). The rear is flat and straight so the air leaves it cleanly the raised fin is to comply with regs not for any areo purpose .The front comes to a point and there are no other areo elements at all.The idea of this experimental car was to prove that a well designed car can do well without a 5 litre v8..and did until a toyota pushed into the armco which caused the full management team of toyota to walk down to the nissan pit to appologise..
it's a genuinly fascinating subject. the camm tails often found on '50's and '60's aerodynamic vehicles emulate the way that rear end might work by managing and minimising turbulence. also, at very high speeds the air flow across the body and off the flat rear may not have time to create turbulence before it rejoins. Also, the low pressure zone at the rear can be vented and pressurised with a air scoop at the front thus creating an air 'shape' which fills the hole mimicking a much longer tail.

i think there are huge strides to be made adding simple aerodynamic shapes to things like artics...An inflating shaped collar around the rear that lessened the horrendous turbulence generated by the flat back would save millions across the country in fuel alone.

ktkev
Member formerly Kateycomeshome
Rides:: hondac90 M 1996 red mt

Post by ktkev » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:56 pm

guildbass wrote:Quick update, my innova just did 139.8 mpg and when it went onto it's flashing last digit it required 2.6 litres to top it back up. I'm riding a little slower at the moment as I'm not wearing many clothes!
amazing !!!!!!!!!!

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:34 pm

I guess your talking standard bike? And yes the ANF is fantastic. Who made the recumbent Cub? Is it hightech pete?
Alan CF wrote:
Wish I had that pipe :?

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:35 pm

180 mpg regularly, 200 is possible but I've only managed it a few times.

Fuel costs more at the pump but can be diluted with the old contents of the chip pan to about 50%.

I only get 80 to the gallon out of the diesel Tiger but that's at 80mph.