Scooters for longer rides

Anything else ya ride!
Jon

Re: Scooters for longer rides

Post by Jon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:10 pm

wehey wrote:
guildbass wrote:
dmw1950 wrote: I will hopefully be getting an Innova or SH125 in the autumn, replacing the CB250.
Its a good time...I bought mine in January...a 2010 model with 6000 miles on it for £1300...from a Honda dealer...Budget £70 for a Puig screen...

there's no question they are far better than a C90 in every functional respect... Which is what a cub is all about...
Apart from looks ;)
Agreed...But the looks thing is acquired with familiarity...The Cub's all about utility...Maybe the new look will become less 'gay' as time goes on...

Jon

Post by Jon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:11 pm

Black Sheep Radical wrote:Why not consider the original (and, some say, the best ;) ) big scooter, the Honda Helix? It will cruise happily at 65mph (top speed is late seventies), returning 65-80mpg depending on how it's ridden. It's far easier than most maxis to maintain by dent of having a boot instead of underseat storage - remove the (hugely comfortable) seat and there's the engine. With that and the rear fairing lowers removed you can easily do all servicing (and most repairs). Even doing the valve clearances is easy, as the adjusters are outside the cylinder head cover.

The only special tool you need is the variator/clutch holding tool at belt/roller change time, and even this can be improvised. Parts are still readily available from Honda, as the Americans got the Helix until 2007, and there are also lots of aftermarket bits available. Both mine have been pretty reliable, and if the 1000 mile oil changes are observed they can run up huge mileages. It has all the advantages of the breed it spawned - generous storage space, excellent weather protection and great comfort, without the bland looks of most of the machines that followed it ;) :lol:

Bad bits? The handling is, erm, an acquired taste but it's really not that bad and you do get used to it :D Enthusiastic riding can kill a rear Metzeler in 1000 miles, but the Michelin Bopper provides the best compromise of life and handling and can last 3500 miles - remember it's only a 10" wheel on the back. The stubby exhaust manifold rusts through and snaps eventually but they are cheap to replace, and the inlet rubber cracks under the weight of the carb every two years unless you fit the bracket Honda later added to the US models. And that's it really!
I have to say i do love 'em...

Mbev51
Rides:: Honda cb250, innova

Post by Mbev51 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:05 am

hi
in the last few years I've had a suzuki burgman 125, a burgman 400, I've still got the next bike a '98 cb250 nighthawk and now an innova. The scooters have huge storage capacities but you cannot get away from those small wheels, mind the twist and go was great. The innova is a very usable bike, very forgiving and quite nippy. The nighthawk will show 80 mph and always does 80 mpg at least. Its a very comfy riding position with highish bars, its 16l fuel tank gives a good range. I've found it good for long distances, only thing is the acceleration is well, not exciting, its the last of the benly engines, in all other respects its a fantastic bike. You can pick a good one up for under a grand, you could try and get mine off me for £1500, it's an original minter with only 2600 miles on it.

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:07 am

Mbev51 wrote:hi
in the last few years I've had a suzuki burgman 125, a burgman 400, I've still got the next bike a '98 cb250 nighthawk and now an innova. The scooters have huge storage capacities but you cannot get away from those small wheels, mind the twist and go was great. The innova is a very usable bike, very forgiving and quite nippy. The nighthawk will show 80 mph and always does 80 mpg at least. Its a very comfy riding position with highish bars, its 16l fuel tank gives a good range. I've found it good for long distances, only thing is the acceleration is well, not exciting, its the last of the benly engines, in all other respects its a fantastic bike. You can pick a good one up for under a grand, you could try and get mine off me for £1500, it's an original minter with only 2600 miles on it.
I really rate those bikes. I think the engine is excellent and a miniature 360 degree parallel twin is a very pleasant machine. Yes, somewhat pedestrian on pick-up but then they are not revvy engines being 360 degree and have tall gearing. i should say the acceleration is 'adequate'.

However, the simple fact is that the injected Innova does 130 plus to the gallon... And that is really the clincher for me

Mbev51

Post by Mbev51 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:46 pm

hi
Yes, but i have the best of both worlds, I have them both. My carb innova, seems to be doing 120 - 135 mpg, not sure if fuel injection makes much difference, will be better in winter or at high altitudes. Just cleaned my nighthawk, there was some little bits of rust on the coil springs, just charging my battery up at the moment. The nighthawk at around 130 kg seems to be much heavier than the innova to manoeuver in and out of the garage, I couldn't contemplate a heavier bike, I must be a wimp.

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Yes, but i have the best of both worlds, I have them both. My carb innova, seems to be doing 120 - 135 mpg, not sure if fuel injection makes much difference, will be better in winter or at high altitudes.
The injection one has it's max torque lower down so may be a little more flexible in the higher gears but probably not significantly more economical.

Mbev51

Post by Mbev51 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:37 pm

hi
read on a Thai forum a while back, a guy said he had both the carb and the injection innova and there was no real difference. The injection one is a tad heavier.

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:52 pm

read on a Thai forum a while back, a guy said he had both the carb and the injection innova and there was no real difference. The injection one is a tad heavier.
yes, I heard that...

fly
Rides:: C90'less

Post by fly » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Can I throw a Honda Wave into the mix. Are they worth considering, or are they just mini-Innovas?

Crimp Iron
Rides:: 1986 Honda C90

Post by Crimp Iron » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:22 pm

fly wrote:Can I throw a Honda Wave into the mix. Are they worth considering, or are they just mini-Innovas?
I was looking at a new one of those last weekend. Came away feeling pretty neutral but it does seem the obvious choice if you like cubs but want a bit more and the prospect of having a lot of trouble free miles in front of you. £1800 and no mot to worry about for 3yrs warrantied for 2yrs and a good resale price.

Just seems to make a lot of sense.