Innova shock!

Anything else ya ride!
Jon

Innova shock!

Post by Jon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:55 pm

I thought I'd take the plastics off my fuel injected innova to do the tappets and perhaps find the source of a faint smell of petrol I used to get once the screen was fitted. I didn't think it could be a problem as it starts instantly, runs out past 60 mph and does 120 mpg.

The inlet manifold had no bolts in and was simply floating loosely on the head!
loose manifold s.jpg
What was amazing is that the fuel injection simply compensated for all the air leaks and it ran...faultlessly... Go figure...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: Innova shock!

Post by wightegi » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:10 pm

Kin hell :| :lol:

dmw1950
Rides:: Enfield Hunter 350/CB125F/Silverwing 600/Vespa250GTS

Post by dmw1950 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:34 am

Most surprised it ran like that. Not very Hondalike, Has the manifold been removed in the past?

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:01 am

dmw1950 wrote:Most surprised it ran like that. Not very Hondalike, Has the manifold been removed in the past?
Not by me. It came used from hatfields of Crowthorne Honda. Thing is, it has always smelled of petrol and I assumed that was a side effect of the screen's turbulence. Clearly the fuel injection system compensated for the air being sucked in. it occasionally used to rev up a little after it got got but otherwise behaved perfectly normally...

I put new screws in and it no longer smells of petrol...

SussexDaveBig
Rides:: Currently None, But seeking a C90 or maybe a C70

Post by SussexDaveBig » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Wow Honda has worked wonders on the injection system there then. A really well balanced system if it can handle all that air leak.

barker
Rides:: t80 honda90 nexus honda xr honda sh loncinyamaha vigaro 53suzukiaddress5

Post by barker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:13 pm

what were you getting to the gallon while it was like that

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:11 pm

SussexDaveBig wrote:Wow Honda has worked wonders on the injection system there then. A really well balanced system if it can handle all that air leak.
i know! Only goes to show how good Honda are!

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:18 pm

barker wrote:what were you getting to the gallon while it was like that
About 115-120 mpg thrashed, I 'think' it's doing a bit better now but it's no faster...I'll know when this tankful has gone down to the single flashing digit on the LCD fuel display. I can understand why it wouldn't be any better...The computer ensured the fuel injected simply matched the extra air going in and the fuel ratio remained the same. While i was 'in' there I took the slack out of the throttle cable so it feels more brisk at half throttle, but then it would, the throttle is opening more cuz the cable's tighter!

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:41 pm

With the inlet bolted down the bike did 79 miles on 2.84 litres which comes out to 126.5 mpg. There will be a slight improvement on that as that tankful was in there during the last miles of the dodgy manifold.

There seems to be a somewhat 'fatter' mid range response so less full throttle is being used during normal acceleration. Considering i go everywhere at 55 to 60 mph (indicated 60 to 65 mph) that's significantly better than the C90 was going 50 mph everywhere!

Superb little bike really...

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Once again another shocking lack of preventative maintenance.

Bogger ;)