What does a full service on a scooter cover?

Anything else ya ride!
primalcarl
Rides:: After a C90

What does a full service on a scooter cover?

Post by primalcarl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:49 pm

Local Honda dealer charges around £165 for an mot and full service on an S-Wing 125. What would a full service include? Quite happy to tackle the work myself

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: What does a full service on a scooter cover?

Post by wightegi » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:53 pm

Ask the dealer ...but shoud do filters oil plug and check brakes and all running gear .

davebike
Rides:: C90G(12v) NC750X dct msx125 Grom

Post by davebike » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:49 am

Engine
Oil change clean reusable filter
air filter and plug check / replace
Clean and service front brake caper lub rear brake cable and pivot points
Lubricate stand and other pivot points
Check wheel bearing front and rear check head races and swing arm bearings
Check tyres for damage and tread then check pressure

Is a rough guide

Dave

dmw1950
Rides:: Enfield Hunter 350/CB125F/Silverwing 600/Vespa250GTS

Post by dmw1950 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:34 am

I did the servicing on my FES 125 from new, it's very simple, no oil filter, just a strainer gauze. Air filter simple, that's why the hole is in the left panel., Remove foot well flap for spark plug and fit a new one, take off exhaust and paint it if needed. Remove caliper pins and pads on brakes (replace fluid every 2 years, that flushes out all the nasty rubber sediment which makes the pistons stick). Cables should be oiled, and pivot pins greased, Check the tappets, only 2 to check, and can be done by removing 2 inspection panels. The belt cover filter, circular filter needs cleaning, that does get dirty, and the belt does need checking and probably changing at 12000 miles, a new one is £30. 'You tube' video's show you how.
The layout of the engine is much like a cub engine, only water cooled, coolant change every 2 years. The engine and transmission does have to work hard, so regular servicing pays off.
A full service would take a DIYer 4 hours, and that's if the scoot is in good order and not been abused in the past.

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:00 pm

I don't trust dealer servicing for the simple fact they don't do what they are supposed to.

Things I've found in the past:

1) bent nail in place of a split pin (quote " Yeah, I lost the original"); It's a f*kin disposable part.
2) I asked - what were the tappet clearances before you adjusted them = "Oh they sounded fine so I left them alone".
3) Brake fluid not changed
4) Coolant not changed
5) Brake calliper loose on the fork leg
6) 200 miles added to the mileage (RD350 with pipes)
7) Charges for rollers and belt - not changed when I checked.

There's loads of other stuff too, like brake pads being swapped out without cleaning up the calliper pistons, so you have just forced all the crap that was stuck to the piston back into the calliper then.

Never lubricating speedo cables

Lubricating brake and clutch cables with just a single squirt of WD40 or whatever is close at hand.

No offence to Davebike of course being a C90 aficionado means I would trust him implicitly to do a grand job.

So if you have the time then scooter servicing really is quite easy, I've just completed the 12k service on my 250 Foresight and it took just a couple of hours and that included the brake fluid and coolant swap. Rear wheel off for checking the brake shoe thickness too (which means exhaust off).

You really need an impact wrench (battery or air) for the variator and clutch nuts to make things easy.

BTW belt thickness is still well within tollerance, and only about half worn so with care I should get close to 20k out of the original - good job 'cos Honda charge over 70 quid for a new one (yes I know you can get Gates versions but the one I bought was thinner than the min recommended thickens when new).

The one thing I did find was the air filter for the variator casing was shredded:

I made a temp new one from a bit of pond filter foam;