Best Touring Bike

Anything else ya ride!
knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Re: Best Touring Bike

Post by knapdog » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:36 am

Pjam wrote:Remind me. Why isn't the Cub the best touring bike :?:
It is. Ed March knows it, Newt knows it. We all know it, but this is an opportunity to talk about all the other wonderful touring bikes we own or have owned.

Mbev51
Rides:: Honda cb250, innova

Post by Mbev51 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:20 am

hi
I currently have a '98 cb250 nighthawk and a '04 innova. Years ago I used honda 90s for commuting, my last one was a next to new '84 cub economy. I had a '07 suzuki burgman for 3 years, bought new and driven solely in france. The burgman was a great concept in many respects, with a large top box it had a huge luggage capacity for the supermarket run. Unfortunately small wheels are a problem, you cannot get away from it, it was also 200kg, too heavy for some manoeuvers. For my money for any length of journey, unless you have to get there as fast as possible, a small bike is fine. I have opted for an innova (carb model, didn't want an injection one) rather than a c90 as I wanted just that little bit extra. I don't agree with people who say you need a big adventure or touring bike to do long journeys on, I want to drive to Thailand (and back?) before I get too old, for that I would choose to do it on my innova. When I have been to Thailand and seen the odd large BMW, they seem out of place to me, I would rather run with the crowd on a similar small bike. I would think that my innova is fixable locally in most asian countries. Mind each to his own, there's no right answer, just opinions.

krazy kev
C90Club Clown!
Rides:: 12V CUB HEINZ

Post by krazy kev » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:06 pm

cubs are well capable of touring although at a slower pace. the problem is are you capable? a cub is not as comfortable as a much larger bike. if you like a sore backside and aching back then the cub is the bike for you but as long as you take regular breaks you will be ok. apart from economy a big advantage is that you get more of a chance to admire the scenery as you are going a lot slower. i have done a few 200+ day trips and totally enjoyed the experience. there are members who have done a lot further though

Cerberus73
Rides:: 2000 C90-T, 86 MZ ETZ 250, 02 Yamaha DragStar 1100A, 90 Suzuki VX800, Honda P50

Post by Cerberus73 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Anybody seen the new Honda CB500X... nice... like a Beemer GS650... but better cos its a honda... and a twin. better mpg as well. made as a mini tourer/adventure style bike built on the proven CB500 platform. it comes in at a smidge under 5k as well.

digger06

Post by digger06 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:29 pm

i prefer a hyabusa ,if i wanna do miles quick,
or if relaxed, a bmw oilhead is hard to beat for mile eating,
but,tbh, any bike is ok as long as your comfortable on it and match the roads to the bike,

BenB
The Byway Bad Boy!
Rides:: C90E gold, MSX125 and CRF1000 Africa Twin

Post by BenB » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:45 pm

digger06 wrote:i prefer a hyabusa ,if i wanna do miles quick,
or if relaxed, a bmw oilhead is hard to beat for mile eating,
but,tbh, any bike is ok as long as your comfortable on it and match the roads to the bike,
+1

It's more about budget and a little about taste. Most bikes are more than capable of touring.

I have a VFR800. It's a great bike and classed as a sports tourer. However, I rode my full-on (power-ranger) sports bike to Italy and back without any issue.

If I were seriously looking at buying a cheap, reliable, comfortable bike which could do anything without fuss and without biting my pocket, I'd certainly be considering the CB500X.

ll81
Rides:: CBF125 Z250SL

Post by ll81 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:16 pm

For an extra 1k you get the NC700X, same power and weight almost just more torque and a much lower revving inclined twin. Also more sit up and beg, I'd have either but if I had the cash in my pocket I'd be more inclined toward the NC.

Cerberus73
Rides:: 2000 C90-T, 86 MZ ETZ 250, 02 Yamaha DragStar 1100A, 90 Suzuki VX800, Honda P50

Post by Cerberus73 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:49 pm

The NC700X is nice, but if on a tight budget id get the 500.. better mpg as well 79mpg if you ride sensibly, 60+ if you thrash it. more revvy, lighter, but it don't have the same storage area where the NC has under the "tank", plus point in the NC's favour is the torque and the storage but both can be fitted with hard panniers and a topbox. I'm seriously sitting trying to work out if i flog on 1 of my cubs, the GS500 and save hard till next summer, can i afford this bike. i really do want to do some touring, and the 500 or 700 would be ideal, as all my current bikes are to old to get euro breakdown cover, and the more economical it is.. the better. another option would be to pick up a low mileage used NC700X.. then it might be in the price range i could afford, i really don't do finance. its cash down or do without for me.

ll81
Rides:: CBF125 Z250SL

Post by ll81 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:08 pm

I really want the NC to do some euro tripping on, plans are on hold until uncertainty at work is sorted out and I know where I stand employment wise. Been a tough year for all of us, we find out at the end of July. Only had one day off this year and that was for the dentist!

There was some of last years ones on Ebay with very low mileage for a decent price a bit back. They're already popping up, which is odd really.

Cerberus73

Post by Cerberus73 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:29 am

must be economy.. same as we all feel it i guess, my plans for touring are on hold as my mothers very ill, so seeing how her treatment goes. until i know she's ok, and i can be a little more liberal with my hard scrimped savings.. new toys are on hold. truth be told id be happy with either of those bikes, certainly a change from the beemer brigade. its a case of i will save as much moolah as i can and see what deal is to be had on either a great used one of either bike, or a new one. my touring this year will just be basic camping trips with the old GS, the Cub or the Intruder.