Best Touring Bike

Anything else ya ride!
barker
Rides:: t80 honda90 nexus honda xr honda sh loncinyamaha vigaro 53suzukiaddress5

Re: Best Touring Bike

Post by barker » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:43 pm

have a look at the big scooters 500 600 you may be surprised

davebike
Rides:: C90G(12v) NC750X dct msx125 Grom

Post by davebike » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:31 pm

I get to ride a huge selection of bikes
My own ride is a much modified CB500!
Today I been out doing my IAM observer bit but as I had a leaking brake pipe on the 500 when I went to leave work last night I use my co loan bike a 2002 Fazer 600 nice comfortable ride lots of power and good grip handling but missed the precise flick-ability of the CB500 and the CB500's massive engine braking the extra 20bhp was nice

My list of great current bikes CB500 fazer 600 all 3 versions pan euro 1100 or 1300 FJR1300 the new 700 honda's and of course the VFr 750/800 The Sukuki Bandits are all great bikes a bit heavy but solid I lover the 1200 I had for a time but boy would it chew though tyres and fuel !!
I like the look of ER6 and Veretas but not seen enough to decide if there as good as they look
Modern BMW great if you have the money to keep in warentee otherwise most turn into money pits !
Ducati are getting better fast but still cost maga to fix
Triumph Ok but not cheap to maintain and most seem to after a few years to have charging problems !

Watch out if you go duvill they can be good but if they need work even servicing it isnt cheap as they are very hard to get to anything on the 700 better but still 4/6 times as expensive to maintain than a 1300 pan !!

Dave

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:41 pm

I too own a CB500. Oldish one with the drum rear brake. Brilliant, totally brilliant bike, but for distance riding they do need a fairing. I don't have one and it pulls my arms off at anything over 65mph

ICEMAN
Rides:: 1998 C90T “Molly”

Post by ICEMAN » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:52 pm

I had a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom for 4 years, sold it last year - best bike I have ever owned, could do anything on it, ride to work, scratch (change the dual function tyres for road ones) and was so comfortable on long runs and economical 200 plus tank range - nice v-twin low down power - only drawback is the seat height as standard but I changed the rear dog bones and it was perfect then --would def but another

Jon

Post by Jon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:16 pm

Biker Paul wrote:I have had a Kawasaki W650 for about 5 years and would not part with it! It has the looks, the sound and general air of a sixties bike but with the reliability of a modern bike. I am 62 years old and find it absolutely perfect for my rallying often covering 300+ miles a day for several days at a time loaded with all my camping gear. I can recommend one. In over 80 thousand miles the only major expense has been a replacement exhaust (£1300 all in at Kawasaki prices .....£525 in stainless from Predator and sounds just lovely) Comfortable and easy to handle it will run all day on the motorways at 80 and averages around 65 to gallon.

i bought mine new in '99 and that reliability isn't a fluke...They're all that good! however, I think most motorcycles are rubbish at touring...there are two bikes which were/are truly exceptional at fast long distance road work...The '78 BMW R100RS, and the Guzzi Spada from the same year. Both will cruise at the ton and return 50 mpg and have 200 mile ranges between fill ups. Quite simply, nothing built since is that good. As regards touring, I'd look very hard at a maxi scooter. comfortable, mile eating, great luggage capability...Any of the 400cc upwards bikes will cruise effortlessly at sensible speeds. W650's are brilliant motorcycles ...Nothing better in terms of engine characteristics and rider ergonomics (with the low bar on ) and all that, but you either have to cover them with after-market luggage or bungy soft bags to them...Like most bikes. Cruisers are a dead loss because the riding position is generally not good.

if I wanted a proper long haul, fast, economical and utterly reliable machine with superb ergonomics and great luggage capability, I'd seek out an air-cooled BMW R1000RS (not the RT). When I was dispatching, cruising down the motorways on my ex Police BMW 750 at about the ton, the only bikes that consistently over took me on the motorways were RS's, the rider always perfectly still in the wind tunnel designed still air bubble, utterly comfortable, the motor just snuffling along at 110 mph. the build quality on an RS is just stupidly high compared to the stuff around today... I mean even the WHEEL bearings are tapered rollers!...i've seen 'em go for £1500.....

Pjam
SPAMMER!

Post by Pjam » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:59 pm

Remind me. Why isn't the Cub the best touring bike :?:

Jon

Post by Jon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:57 am

Pjam wrote:Remind me. Why isn't the Cub the best touring bike :?:
I think it nearly is.....if touring is about the journey rather than the destination...then it probably is...

Pjam
SPAMMER!

Post by Pjam » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:01 am

guildbass wrote:
Pjam wrote:Remind me. Why isn't the Cub the best touring bike :?:
I think it nearly is.....if touring is about the journey rather than the destination...then it probably is...
My thoughts exactly. Lots of members here have ridden many many single journey miles on a Cub. Newts trip to Southern Germany for example. and others here have gone to eastern Europe etc.

Black Sheep Radical
New kid on the Comel
Rides:: CT90, Восхо́д, 50ZZ, Fusion, C90, Helix, Comel

Post by Black Sheep Radical » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Diddly wrote:Have a look at a maxi-scooter, Suzuki Burgman for example.... 400cc, good performance/economy.
As comfy as a Goldwing without the weight. Loads of on board luggage space/excellent weather protection. Twist and go/step through design etc etc.
+1, I had one of the old carbed 400 Burgmans and found it to be extremely capable at most things, as stated above. It's not much worse than a 125 in town when filtering etc. The standard screen was useless, but you can say that about most maxis TBH.

The 650 is a bit of a fat old lump but the newer FI 400s are very good. The 600 Silverwing is also worth considering, goes very well and I found the engine smoother than the Burgman.

itchywheels
Rides:: I have now got a C90 !!! XT600Z Tenere, Raleigh Runabout, Triumph Trophy

Post by itchywheels » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:50 pm

What do you want ride ? It's Your choice !! Pick a bike and take it ;) Do you want to ride slow, fast, ect, ect, If you need more info p.m. me. I can meet you in Belgium http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinant I'm going to be there on the 26th August bank holiday Monday on my way home.