Overspeed protection on Honda ANF125?

Anything else ya ride!
Oden
Rides:: Honda ANF 125

Overspeed protection on Honda ANF125?

Post by Oden » Sun May 19, 2013 9:11 am

Hi all!

I was wondering about if there is som kind of overspeed/RPM protection on the Innova 2009 injection model?

Greatful fo an answer :)

// Oden

Jon

Re: Overspeed protection on Honda ANF125?

Post by Jon » Sun May 19, 2013 11:57 am

Sort of. there's an electronic engine rev limiter but should be set right up there at the safe mechanical limit of the engine.

If you look at the speedo there are marks showing speeds in the gears. If you stick it in a lower gear and then follow the guide on the speedo, it goes a bit beyond Honda's recommended range before the limiter cuts in..or at least mine does. for example, the speedometer shows a maximum speed of 25 in first gear and my limiter cuts in at around 30 mph on the speedo.

The Innova speedo is electronically driven off the gearbox so it not only misreads by a bit, but also misreads by an amount that varies according to tyre size and wear, but it's around 10% optimistic on mine, so at an indicated 30 it's probably going a true 27 mph, which is around 10% over Honda's maximum speeds in the gears.

Oden
Rides:: Honda ANF 125

Post by Oden » Sun May 19, 2013 2:24 pm

Tank you for your reply!

Okay, so one can, in other words, change gear a little over shift indicators and it is not any more danger for the engine?

Not to be a commonly do, i usually replace the gear well before the marks because it is not a racing bike if you say so :)

Jon

Post by Jon » Sun May 19, 2013 6:17 pm

Oden wrote:Tank you for your reply!

Okay, so one can, in other words, change gear a little over shift indicators and it is not any more danger for the engine?

Not to be a commonly do, i usually replace the gear well before the marks because it is not a racing bike if you say so :)
Yes, but I don't think you gain much from revving them like that... Although I have stretched second out to the speedo's limit a couple of times....

tom robinson
Rides:: Suzukii Address i 2010,Honda 300i 2007

Post by tom robinson » Tue May 28, 2013 8:02 am

Even if a rev limiter is fitted it is not good practice to peak rev any engine constantly and little is gained
tom

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Tue May 28, 2013 11:46 am

My ANF is a pre injection carb model and it doesn't like being thrashed for long periods. It's a brilliant bike ridden with a little respect and the pizza guys buzz around all day on them but mine will burn oil at high revs, drinks it! Normally it doesn't .