Riders Supercub review in Twist & Go magazine

Anything else ya ride!
crammy69
Rides:: 1984 C70C (Blue), LML 125cc STAR & Triumph Thruxton efi, li150 Special 1964

Riders Supercub review in Twist & Go magazine

Post by crammy69 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:51 am

Was shopping with the mrs :roll: , and wandered into WHSmiths for a bit of relief from the ordeal, and read an article in Twist and Go magazine on the riders of yeovil 110cc cub copy. Whilst their standpoint is more focused how it compares to other 'cheap' twist and go Chinese commuters , they were generally quite positive, although they didn't be the hang of the semi auto clutch so fond it a bit jerky. The were impressed with the MPG of 128 given it wasn't even run in! Also they seemed to view it positively for its ' Retro ' appeal. They felt t wasn't as quick of the mark as a twist&go scooter, and the top speed of 50 ( 55 expected after run in) was lower than the t&g's. They did mention the handling was good due partly to the larger wheels, but felt it was less steady at maximum speed. The verdict was that whilt it leaks the storage of a modern scooter ".. But in almost everything else, it makes as much sense now as it did in 1959.

Clearly this was no l term test, but worth a read if you pick up a copy/ visit smiths ;) . Also in this edition was an article on Nathan Milward who rode the postie bike from Oz to UK,as es recently done the cross USA thing on one. Sorry I don't have a working scanner so can't post up the article.

Cheers
Simon

digger06

Re: Riders Supercub review in Twist & Go magazine

Post by digger06 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:17 pm

its nice to see that when compared to a modern bike, a 54 yr old design holds up quite well,
"not as much standard storage and not quite as quick off the mark", lol.
not a lot ,is it?
specially when you put the other arguments in,
spares availability and being able to fit stuff off one model (and even make)onto another,
bigger wheels,not for handling, for potholes,etc.
massive aftermarket parts set up,
beat that with peugeot speedshiter,s or similar,
and ill STILL bet you i can get more stuff on a c90 than a twist and go,, :D

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Nice the future of cubs in the uk that would shame Honda... But did you pick up the Scootering magazine ? I will be autographing copies at a ride near you soon.... ;)

crammy69
Rides:: 1984 C70C (Blue), LML 125cc STAR & Triumph Thruxton efi, li150 Special 1964

Post by crammy69 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:33 pm

wightegi wrote:Nice the future of cubs in the uk that would shame Honda... But did you pick up the Scootering magazine ? I will be autographing copies at a ride near you soon.... ;)
I did yes! :D

currykev
Rides:: C90 K reg

Post by currykev » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:29 pm

My opinion is that the Riders Supercub is to Honda Cubs as is a Vespa LX125 is to a Vespa 125 TS
But we are lucky. The Honda's are still available, mostly cheaper and just....well just.

crammy69

Post by crammy69 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:29 am

currykev wrote:My opinion is that the Riders Supercub is to Honda Cubs as is a Vespa LX125 is to a Vespa 125 TS
I'd say its more akin to the Indian made LML 125 2 stroke versus the Vespa PX, but in that case Vespa fans were lucky enough to have Piaggio see the sales success of the LML 2T and decide to re-start production of the metal bodied PX. I bought my 2010 LML 2T brand new for for £1575 (They're now about £1850) whereas the New PX is over £3k!

If Honda did the same (in UK ) I imagine they'd charge more than the £1250 Riders are charging, probbaly nearer £2k, but then itd still be nice to have the option. :D

Goldfish
Rides:: Yamaha YBR-125, Riders Super Cub 50

Post by Goldfish » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm having difficulty working out what model the Riders Cub is based on. Is it the original 1958 design?

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Post by horobags » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:25 pm

I bought a new px 150 last year, a great scoot if you can live with the noisy clutch, oiling up if you let it tickover too long (exhaust cat problem), panels starting to rust after 3 months, bare metal area underneath, (no paint no primer), indicators filling up with water if you ever dare get it wet!!, when I told the piaggio dealer my list of problems he said " the PX is an enthusiasts machine" !!! :shock: , id rather have an LML anyday, and save a bleedin fortune..

ll81
Rides:: CBF125 Z250SL

Post by ll81 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:00 pm

Goldfish wrote:I'm having difficulty working out what model the Riders Cub is based on. Is it the original 1958 design?
It's more C90C (first 12v but round headlight).

Obviously it says Riders on it but it will just be made on contract in some Chinese bike factory. Would love to know if it's a loncin at heart or something similar.

Goldfish
Rides:: Yamaha YBR-125, Riders Super Cub 50

Post by Goldfish » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:33 pm

ll81 wrote:
Goldfish wrote:I'm having difficulty working out what model the Riders Cub is based on. Is it the original 1958 design?
It's more C90C (first 12v but round headlight).

Obviously it says Riders on it but it will just be made on contract in some Chinese bike factory. Would love to know if it's a loncin at heart or something similar.
Thanks for that, I was having a nightmare trying to work it out. I'm the same with wanting to know where the Riders cubs are actually manufactured.