2006 CG125 Front disc brake

Anything else ya ride!
Jon

Re: 2006 CG125 Front disc brake

Post by Jon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:26 pm

knapdog wrote:Right then boys and girls, who's going to tell me how to drain, fill and bleed the system?
First, go to Halfords or go online and buy one of those self-bleed kits consisting of a tube with a simple valve in it. also buy fresh brake fluid.
Then take the caliper off the bike , take the pads out and use the lever to pump the piston out as far as it can go. Then get a bowl, slacken off the bleed nipple on the caliper and use the lever to pump the old fluid out into the bowl. When you've done that, pop the top off the master cylinder and remove the rubber piece to let the last of the fluid drain easily. watch out for drips!, use rags...

It's best to get the caliper off the hose now but now it's off, work on it. Most can be split apart too so you can do a good job...fine wire wool is great, metal polish, stuff like that.

When it's reassembled, follow the bleed kit's instructions but put lots of rag around the brake master cylinder as brake fluid strips paint!

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Thank you guildbass for that help. I:m sure I' ll be able to manage it. Had a rush of blood earlier and bought the piston and seal kit so happy days and a fair wind for the job! Thanks all, unless anyone else wants to add useful info!

davebike
Rides:: C90G(12v) NC750X dct msx125 Grom

Post by davebike » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:45 pm

There is two bit of the calliper that play up
! the piston if your right and it is the cause clean the seal groves in the calliper body very carefully lubricate the new seals whit red brake grease NOT brake fluid or you will have the problem again !! you need to prevent the alloy calliper body corroding behind the seals
The Floating pins etc also tend the size and need cleaning and red brake grease

Me I fit EBC gold pads FA54HH from memory

Dave

knapdog

Post by knapdog » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:08 pm

davebike wrote:There is two bit of the calliper that play up
! the piston if your right and it is the cause clean the seal groves in the calliper body very carefully lubricate the new seals whit red brake grease NOT brake fluid or you will have the problem again !! you need to prevent the alloy calliper body corroding behind the seals
The Floating pins etc also tend the size and need cleaning and red brake grease

Me I fit EBC gold pads FA54HH from memory

Dave
Thanks Dave. Would copper grease do instead of red brake grease as I haven't got any?

Alan CF
Rides:: CUB RACING small cc engine rebuilds crank repairs

Post by Alan CF » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:14 pm

no good using copper grease im afraid, it will contaminate the brake fluid,
brake fluid is funny stuff, if you have some sitting on your shelf for say more then 2/3 years put it in the bin,
it will absorb water/moister this is what has happened to your seals,
moister has got in behind them and is pushing them tight on the piston,

davebike

Post by davebike » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:40 am

Don't use copperslip anywhere on alloy bike callipers it used to be the thing but has been fount to cause multiple problems from failing seals to wearing of sliding parts
Use brake grease you may get it from a proper car shop or a bike dealer may have the rather expensive silkoline
I have small sachets for sale to customers most good place s will have the same PM me if your stuck

Dave

knapdog

Post by knapdog » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:55 pm

wightegi wrote:EBC organic brake pads work well on the cg .
You're right!
The Honda CG 125 Owners' Club recommend the EBC SFA054 Organic pads, but as we speak, I cannot find a single UK distributor/retailer who has them in stock!

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:41 pm

davebike

Post by davebike » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:46 am

I can Get most EBC pars within 24hours and the rest If EBC have stock with 3 days !
This is why few bother to keep less common items
Again I say fit HH you know it makes sence to have as powerful brakes as you can
if you must have organic try looking for FA54 not the scooter varent SFA54

Dave

knapdog

Post by knapdog » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:25 am

wightegi wrote:EBC organic brake pads work well on the cg .
Food for thought..............

This is what the Honda CG 125 Owners' Club has to say about pad choice:

EBC SFA54 Organic pads.
They are completely the opposite of the Nissin pads, they have more stopping power than I can use (I have tried emergency stops).
They have feel, progressiveness, smoothness, quiet, as well as not needing a lot of pressure to use them.
After running the pads in and using a braided brake hose, I can stop with one finger, stop quickly with 2 fingers and very heavy braking needs 4 fingers.
I have been told and read from several sources that EBC make the best Organic pads and my results have been so good I believe them,
I have used other brands of organic pads in other bikes and none of them were anywhere near the performance of the EBC organic pads.
A friend of mine has put the EBC Organic pads on his 125. He found they work brilliantly when its heavily raining and the roads are soaking wet (they work immediately, no delay).
I have tried the EBC FA054HH Sintered pads. They require more pressure from your fingers compared to the EBC SFA54 organic pads.
I did not have enough pressure to brake as well as the EBC Organics.
Even though I had fitted a braided brake hose, so I highly recommend you use the EBC SFA54 Organic pads instead in the Honda CG125.
After trying 2 makes of Sintered pads and speaking to some mechanics, I am getting very suspicious about Sintered pads.
The main reason motorcycle manufactures switched from organic to sintered on road motorcycles was to improve wet performance.
Many organic pads are bad in the wet, but EBC Organic are very good.
Sintered are meant to have more friction and less brake fade.
EBC Organics are GG rated, the best Sintered are HH (including EBC Sintered), that means there is not much between them.
So why have I had such bad results with Sintered,
one explanation could be Sintered needing to be warmed up before substantial friction is created.
In order to warm them up you may need to brake a lot before you need them and before they cool down again.
A 125cc bike is light and is at slow speeds compared to a big bike at 100 mph (weight and speed affects brake temperature).
A big bike will also have a much more powerful braking system since its designed for much higher speeds.
One mechanic told me on a big bike at 100mph, trying to stop with sintered,
friction was not brilliant, but as the heat builds up (as bike was slowing down) it gets better and better,
around 70 to 80mph the pads have fully warmed up and the friction is massive and the bike stops very quickly.
So it could well be a 125cc bike is so light and is at such slow speeds (60mph), that sintered will never get up to heat.
Resulting in much less friction than with organics pads.
I can not confirm this idea, since I have not tried EBC Organics and EBC Sintered on a race track on a big bike.
The next question is, on a big bike at 60mph, which stops the quickest, EBC Sintered or EBC Organic.
If I had to bet, I would guess the EBC Organic.
Sintered are supposed to last much longer than Organic,
that still seems to be true but EBC Organics claim to last much longer than normal Organics.
Sintered are meant to have little feel, are harsh and hard, ether they are off or substantially on
(EBC Sintered have reduced this problem).
Organics do not have this problem.