My Big Gay Motorcycle!

Anything else ya ride!
Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Re: My Big Gay Motorcycle!

Post by Newtsalad » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Nice. Very nice.

GuzziHero
Rides:: Haotian HT-100 (C90 clone), Guzzi Griso 1100 , Guzzi 1100 Cali

Post by GuzziHero » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Newtsalad wrote: Joined the MotoGuzz GB club too to get the use of their forum. Mind you, seems to be plenty of help here too, I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised, or are we all closet Guzzi riders? :lol: :lol: :lol:
To be honest, I am not a member of MGGB. I was at one stage but I felt I was being forced to pay just to get help from what is meant to be one of the closest communities in motorcycling. Try Guzzitech forum. There you will find great guys like John Zibell and Brian UK who are a wealth for information and help. Plus Mr Guzzitech himself, Todd, who makes custom parts such as the stepper motor bypass, Lambda sensor bypass and some exhaust parts I have on the Griso. I need to update my Griso's picture with his custom Y-pipe, actually.

I am not in the least bit surprised to see so many C90 owners also liking Guzzi. C90s/step throughs are a bit of an oddball interest and as the motto on a Guzzi Club tshirt says... "You meet the oddest people on a Guzzi"!

Oh, just for fun... here's my stepthru:

People take the mickey, I do as well, but for a bike that was cheaper brand new than any 2nd hand Japanese I could find, I will not fault it. It has been incredibly reliable considering how much I abuse it, it saves my Guzzis from commuting work, and doesnt wake the neighbours at 4am!

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:01 pm

FINALLY! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Got to ride the bl@@dy thing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bodged the re-covered seat on, I still have to sort the seat lock as a grub screw holding the lock is seized....

Anyway, I ran it up, it hadn't been started since Jan 9th and it started first go!

Jobbed a few jobs, went out to run it up again while I got clobbered up.. WOuld it start? Nup! Battery went flat quick, found there was no spark, again!
So by now, I'm beginning to wonder if the relays are dodgy, or if the ignition module really is on it's way out...Do not pass go, pay £200+ quids.. :shock:

Anyways, about 2 hours later, much poring over wiring diagrams and web visits etc...

I find that you cannot start this bike on the side stand! DOH!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So finally got out, to ride in the fog, :roll: did about 50 miles, dunno what to make of it! A fine machine, holds an awesome line, pulls like my Benford Dumper, but is, well, a bit like driving a lorry! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Might get to clean it tomorrow! :D :D :D

GuzziHero

Post by GuzziHero » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:05 am

Gratz on getting to ride the Cali! Congratulations, you can now ride the most finicky and awkward machine in Christendom!

Yessss about that sidestand switch.

When I got mine it was a bugger to start. I figured it had an SS switch so I looked at that.

The entire bracket that the SS switch was on was moving when I folded the stand up! I ended up making an H shaped piece of aluminium to fold over the bolt and cap the thing off.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.

Post by Newtsalad » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:35 am

What got me, was that usually the sidestand switch only cuts the bike when a gear is engaged. With this bike, it won't spark with the sidestand down, period!

I'm not sure it's meant to be like that? I'm thinking that maybe it should be communicating with the neutral light, but isn't, somehow?

On the mainstand, I only had to touch the sidestand and the bike would cut. However there'a simple bolt and locknut on the stand which bears on the switch, I undone it about three turns and locked it off, seems fine now, and of course, I know not to start it on the side stand. :roll:

I wouldn't disconnect the sidestand if I could help it. It's so massive, with such a big swing, I would think leaving it out when setting off really would have you off the bike.

I suppose I should go over to the Guzzi forums and ask... But I can't be arsed making a new set of 'friends'. besides, it seems lots of 90 owners are quite clued about Guzzi's! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.

Post by Newtsalad » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 am

Oh, and still doing Cub gear changes on the rocker shift... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will be even more fun doing Guzzi shifts on the Cub.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

GuzziHero

Post by GuzziHero » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 am

Been there done that!

3 bikes, 3 different pedal patterns. I need a Guzzi Convert to make up the set of 4 (the Convert is a 2-speed variamatic).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_Guzzi_1000_Convert

---
Oh, like I say, technical info on MGCGB will cost you a year's subscription fee. Go to Guzzitech forums instead.

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:25 pm

GuzziHero wrote:Been there done that!

3 bikes, 3 different pedal patterns. I need a Guzzi Convert to make up the set of 4 (the Convert is a 2-speed variamatic).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_Guzzi_1000_Convert

---
Oh, like I say, technical info on MGCGB will cost you a year's subscription fee. Go to Guzzitech forums instead.
always wanted a Convert...Although I loved the Victorian gearshifting on my Mk2 Lemans...Especially first to second..I once compared it in an article to the business of changing the speed belts on a stationary mine pumping engine, drawing the fire, stopping the engine, slipping the cured hide belt onto another pulling, firing the boiler, and off we go!...But relishing that pause before giving it a handful in second was worth it...

GuzziHero

Post by GuzziHero » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Well, I ride my bikes reasonably hard and I am now 100% certain that the Cali gearbox pattern is 1-N-2-N-N-N-N-3-N-4-N-5!

I mean just look at the linkages between pedal and gearbox. Its like something by M.C. Esher!

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.

Post by Newtsalad » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:10 pm

GuzziHero wrote: Oh, like I say, technical info on MGCGB will cost you a year's subscription fee.
Joined a few weeks ago :oops: Not been there yet... :lol: