Peugeot Vox 110

Anything else ya ride!
Post Reply
Jon

Re: Peugeot Vox 110

Post by Jon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:17 am

mender wrote:
Hmm, I like my Vox but have occasionally wished it was a little more powerful and a little quicker, not to race but to keep up with traffic in certain circumstances whilst coping with my bulk. Paddling up to Brockhampton on the main A44 flat out at 40mph is a drag with 20 impatient commuters behind you, for example.
How different is the Innova with the EFI then?
Essentially, the Vox is an overbored C90 clone engine wrapped in Honda Wave copy bodywork. In other-words, it is a 30 year old engine design with modern trimmings just like the majority of Chinese takes on the Wave theme. No bad thing in some ways but with certain limitations.
Honda designed the Wave series to be pure road bikes which was a departure from the old dual purpose Cub as their primary markets had developed significantly in the last 30 years and consumers were wanting capable road only bikes rather than all terrain general purpose machines.

What they did to achieve this was to lengthen the engine's stroke significantly which increased low down torque allowing the gearing to be higher. Peak torque on the injected Innova is at 3000 rpm!

An injected Innova is geared for around 73 mph flat out (80 indicated) and because it doesn't go rich at the top end (instead relies on accurate fuelling and special heat proof internal components like a ceramic topped piston) it'll hold a steady 65-70 indicated on the flat and hum along nicely at 60 indicated.
The EFI allows an accurate mixture irrespective of fuel quality, catalysers and filtration whereas carb Cub engines traditionally go extra rich at full carb openings to help cool the engine...I

That extra speed makes the 125i quick enough to keep up on single carriageway 'A' roads easily and have enough speed to sit on a motorway and often use the middle lane to overtake slower traffic.

I looked at the Vox but went for a 2010 (3 year old) Innova instead....When it was nicked after a year...I bought another one...Same age !

Both of mine were/are fitted with screens and a top box

Jon

Re: Peugeot Vox 110

Post by Jon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:03 am

mender wrote:
I really wanted a new MZ Saxon Tour but with an updated 4 stroke 250 unit or something like the CC110 Cross Cub with a 150 lump in it, a screen, some panniers and weather protection; a high mpg, low hassle, all weather bike that can do whatever I throw at it costing around £2000 all in.
You can get a 125-A (the most developed and last of the injection models, 2010-2012) from around £800 to £1500 depending on mileage and whether it's a dealer bike. £100 will equip it with a DID 'X' ring chain and 428 sprocket set (no more chain adjustment!) A good screen is about £70 (Puig)...You may well find one with a top box and rack already on it. if you are keen, the 142cc piston/barrel kit looks like a straight swap and of course the fuel injection sorts out the carburation automatically'....The version for the injected bike is less commonly advertised (don't know if it is different to the carb bike's big bore kit) but under £70

I've done all that AND fitted gaiters to the rear suspension to keep the stock (supple) shocks healthy. For extreme loads, the Honda CBR125 shocks are the correct length but pretty damn hard. Stock seat on the injection bikes is very good, and the stock lighting also very good. The Innova benefits from a twin piston front brake too, unlike the later 110 Wave so lots of braking if you are giving it some.

The only other tweak I'd consider is alloy wheels to minimise getting caught on the road with a flat...Easier to do a roadside 'get you home' repair on a tubeless tyre...

So technically you could get a low miles late model Innova for around £1500 or less, a bullet proof chain kit, screen and big bore kit for £300 and be on the journey for £1800.

mender
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:23 pm
Rides:: 2014 Peugeot VOX 110 (have had 20+ bikes inc C90, MZs, R1200RT etc)
Location: Leominster, Herefordshire

Re: Peugeot Vox 110

Post by mender » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:34 am

Jon wrote:
mender wrote:
I really wanted a new MZ Saxon Tour but with an updated 4 stroke 250 unit or something like the CC110 Cross Cub with a 150 lump in it, a screen, some panniers and weather protection; a high mpg, low hassle, all weather bike that can do whatever I throw at it costing around £2000 all in.
You can get a 125-A (the most developed and last of the injection models, 2010-2012) from around £800 to £1500 depending on mileage and whether it's a dealer bike. £100 will equip it with a DID 'X' ring chain and 428 sprocket set (no more chain adjustment!) A good screen is about £70 (Puig)...You may well find one with a top box and rack already on it. if you are keen, the 142cc piston/barrel kit looks like a straight swap and of course the fuel injection sorts out the carburation automatically'....The version for the injected bike is less commonly advertised (don't know if it is different to the carb bike's big bore kit) but under £70

I've done all that AND fitted gaiters to the rear suspension to keep the stock (supple) shocks healthy. For extreme loads, the Honda CBR125 shocks are the correct length but pretty damn hard. Stock seat on the injection bikes is very good, and the stock lighting also very good. The Innova benefits from a twin piston front brake too, unlike the later 110 Wave so lots of braking if you are giving it some.

The only other tweak I'd consider is alloy wheels to minimise getting caught on the road with a flat...Easier to do a roadside 'get you home' repair on a tubeless tyre...

So technically you could get a low miles late model Innova for around £1500 or less, a bullet proof chain kit, screen and big bore kit for £300 and be on the journey for £1800.
That all makes sense, wish they were sold new though...
Thanks for posting, interesting, cheers ;)

Jon

Re: Peugeot Vox 110

Post by Jon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:16 pm

mender wrote:
That all makes sense, wish they were sold new though...
Thanks for posting, interesting, cheers ;)
Up until very recently there were some very low miles 2012 bikes around...And frankly, these days, apart from Pizza delivery machines (and many operators go for cheaper Wave clones rather than the real thing) the vast majority of 125-A's are ridden by mature riders . It's pretty obvious from the overall condition really when you look at one.

I'd always put a well cared for 125-A over a new clone Wave if you are looking for a bike to hold higher speeds continuously. I've seen nothing so far to convince me the clone engines are any better at keeping their cool when pushed hard than the 30 year old engine design they are copied from and they seem much less economical at speed.

mender
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:23 pm
Rides:: 2014 Peugeot VOX 110 (have had 20+ bikes inc C90, MZs, R1200RT etc)
Location: Leominster, Herefordshire

Re: Peugeot Vox 110

Post by mender » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:36 pm

Jon wrote:
mender wrote:
That all makes sense, wish they were sold new though...
Thanks for posting, interesting, cheers ;)
Up until very recently there were some very low miles 2012 bikes around...And frankly, these days, apart from Pizza delivery machines (and many operators go for cheaper Wave clones rather than the real thing) the vast majority of 125-A's are ridden by mature riders . It's pretty obvious from the overall condition really when you look at one.

I'd always put a well cared for 125-A over a new clone Wave if you are looking for a bike to hold higher speeds continuously. I've seen nothing so far to convince me the clone engines are any better at keeping their cool when pushed hard than the 30 year old engine design they are copied from and they seem much less economical at speed.
Good points.

I've been out and about on the Vox again this morning and I'm really being daft over needing more power and speed, it does what it should. I suppose the fact I was after an MZ replacement geared me to wanting more go, but it is so nice to use and easy to live with that it is not necessary 99% of the time.

I'll stick with it and see how it copes!

Bill/Rubery
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:02 am
Rides:: Peugeot Vox 110 cc
Location: North Worcestershire

Re: Peugeot Vox 110

Post by Bill/Rubery » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:16 pm

You should not really put out messages like that about other people Jon. I have cruised at 60 mph+ on many of the larger capacity motorcycles I have owned (motorways) but could never understand the allure of high speed riding. When riding I like to look around at what I am passing. Today a very extended ride on the Vox and as the Worcestershire plain is ringed by high hill ranges...some lovely far distance views. (The petrol consumption was AMAZING) I would not dream of looking at them while cruising at 60 mph plus and a lot of the roads I was on were ideal for high speed riding. . Feel free to carry on riding fast but I prefer to dawdle along....

Jon

Re: Peugeot Vox 110

Post by Jon » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:07 pm

Bill/Rubery wrote:You should not really put out messages like that about other people Jon. I have cruised at 60 mph+ on many of the larger capacity motorcycles I have owned (motorways) but could never understand the allure of high speed riding. When riding I like to look around at what I am passing.
The difference is, you sound like you are riding for pleasure. I ride to get places...My bike is the way I get around and I'm frequently using fast main roads and motorways. On Friday for instance, I'm off to Southampton, a mixture of 'B', 'A' and motorway roads. It's 35 miles and to get there in an hour I have to cruise at 60 on the main roads...Main roads that have long since lost their allure as scenic diversions.....

stevew
Posts: 3468
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:19 pm
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)
Location: Orpington, UK

Re: Peugeot Vox 110

Post by stevew » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:14 pm

Jon wrote: It's 35 miles and to get there in an hour.
Why not leave 10 mins earlier :?:

What's the difference between 60 min journey and a 70 min journey :?:

BTW i ride fast 'cos i like it.
Unfortunately i'm not so good at it now i'm older :o
But i have found the answer..........ride slower ;)

Jon

Re: Peugeot Vox 110

Post by Jon » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:17 pm

stevew wrote:
Jon wrote: It's 35 miles and to get there in an hour.
Why not leave 10 mins earlier :?:

What's the difference between 60 min journey and a 70 min journey :?:
60 minutes is what it takes in the car...And riding to take 70 minutes would have one constantly overtaken or holding up cars. I didn't buy a bike to take longer to get places, I use my bike to get places quicker with no hassles in towns and cities!

mender
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:23 pm
Rides:: 2014 Peugeot VOX 110 (have had 20+ bikes inc C90, MZs, R1200RT etc)
Location: Leominster, Herefordshire

Re: Peugeot Vox 110

Post by mender » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:36 pm

The main point is what the bike is being used for; leisure or commuting.

If you have the time and can smell the flowers and take it all in along the way, great-but commuting as an alternative to a car is an entirely different thing, especially in a tight working day or schedule when you don't have ten minutes more and the reason you chose a bike was to save time.

I'd hate to commute on the Vox and be ragging it to death and holding other cars up, but for a dawdle around the back lanes when I have all the time in the world it is great.
That being said, I do use it to see mates and have to encounter commuter traffic so I would welcome the extra power and cruising speed on the Innova to be used when appropriate or when needed to be safe keeping in the flow of traffic.

Horses for courses, I used to like going fast and used to travel long distances daily too (20k on my R1200RT in 6 months) but I do prefer taking it easier now. Even then, I find it embarrassing to be holding up commuter traffic or the lorries on the banks so would welcome 65mph ability and more torque for some of the journeys I carry out.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest