Yamaha 110cc machines going cheap!

Anything else ya ride!
Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, R80RT,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Re: Yamaha 110cc machines going cheap!

Post by Newtsalad » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Yes. I liked the blue. But I liked the red also. And I couldn't decide. ;)

I've been away, and won't be back until tonight.

See my list above, of costs involved. Add to that the cost of a new battery.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, R80RT,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:49 pm

.... and £22 on 2T oil. :lol:

allspeed

Post by allspeed » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:15 pm

Jerez I'm sorely tempted, how we'll have they been stored?

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.

Post by Newtsalad » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:22 pm

mickb wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:03 pm
Evening all,

I was in the shop again today to pick up the Motorcycle Monthly free paper, and Nick told me he sold two of these Yamahas yesterday.

Okay, it's time to own up! Was it one of us buying two bikes, or two of us buying one each? I guess it may be just a coincidence, and not in response to my original post.

What I would love to know is, at that price, do you get to see the bike running, or is it strictly ''sold as seen, for spares only''?

I find myself more tempted by the day. Incidentally, Nick has a few more in the shop now; they look excellent in red.

If it was one of us, please do post to let us know how it's going.

Regards, Mick.
Hi Mick, Yes, t'was I. Nick isn't the easiest bloke to have a deal with, as pleasant as he is, very nice chap. These bikes are stored in crates of three in a warehouse just 50 miles from me. Despite trying to get the crate dimensions he wasn't forthcoming. Best I got was "They'll go on my truck" Which didn't help much deciding whether my trailer was big enough.

He did get back to me with a query on delivery, after suggesting the storage co could deliver.
They said, my lane was too small. Actually, it isn't, but on Google, it looks it.
Nick said, he would deliver a crate, for £100 +VAT. I didn't think that a generous offer TBH.

I asked if there was discount, for buying crated, but no. I was a bit miffed, as it would have negated him having to build them up, and clean them. They are apparently in open slatted cases, and being 20 years old, 'dusty'. I can only think he has mechanics idle and it fills their time. Fair enough.

There is as to be expected, some rust. Just light, and to be expected after 20 years in a crate, however stored.

And of course, buying a crate, you don't know whether some have been exposed to more damp than others, and what you will find when you open them.

My problem, was I didn't have a van to transport them. And I just KNEW, if I took the trailer, it would piss down. :x

I sold a bike, to a lad in Norwich. It was pretty immaculate, well polished etc. I trailered it up behind the Volvo in the rain. It looked like I had ridden it the 22 miles across fields. I was so embarrassed, I was trying to find a local jetwash that I could blow the worst off before I delivered. No go. Lucky for me the lad was very understanding, and looking forward to polishing his new pride and joy!

Nick had about 6 bikes in the showroom. Eventually I tore myself away from a rather beautiful Ducati to my reason for being there.
About 6" of each rear wheel, had rust spots. Presumably, this was the bottom of the wheel in the crate.

Anyway's, when I got these back, they looked like I'd been scrambling on them. I rinsed them, dried them, best as, chucked 'em in the garage.

I noticed the battery leads are hanging out, so I'm not hopeful there is even a battery on them, let alone re commissioning it.

The bikes are dry. No fuel, no 2T oil, never run or started. Nick did say he'd had to clean the carb on the one he had running, presumably that was residual from a factory start up.

I got two keys. A receipt. No owners handbooks, or anything like that. Which I might have got if I had bought crated.
EDIT: Toolkit, and owners handbook (In Indonesian Cyrillic, totally useless! :lol: ) were present under the seats. Batteries were there too. I took them to Mototekniks and had them filled with acid for £7.50 each.. They've been on charge, but not sure they are taking it. £22 for a new battery.

I literally chucked 'em in the gareage and had to crack on for a busy couple of days. I picked up some 2T oil tonight, but I have no idea if they run without batteries, or even (In the absence of a battery) what battery they might take.

The long and short of it, is it's a long punt. A gamble. There has to be a reason this chap ( No fool he has a business) has to punt these out cheap.

ATEOTD, they may be 'New', but they are 20 years old. Imports, I have no idea of the spares situation, although Nick, who has family in Greece, said he would assist me with that, for what it's worth.

Long and short, summing up.

They ARE Yamaha, not Chinese cheesy. They are 20 years old with no UK spares setup. There are not inconsiderable costs, getting them on the road.

They may, be a bargain.

But they are NOT, for the faint hearted! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.

Post by Newtsalad » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:28 pm

I'll also add... For me, the journey was absolute f*****g nightmare. I can't imagine a worse place to get to. Fastest route on TomTom took me through many single tracks roads for the last 10 miles or so, with well worn passing places. Not good with a trailer.

Coming back, 86 miles took me over 2 1/2 hours. :|

mickb
Rides:: peugeot vox, mz ts150, yamaha townmate 50, garelli como

Post by mickb » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi Newtsalad,

VERY interesting post. Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your 'adventure'. It made me realise how comparatively lucky I am:- I could probably PUSH one home to St Albans!

Considering the potential difficulties in getting one road-registered, it probably is more realistic to view them as a source of some very useful parts. I guess the 'sixty-four thousand dollar question' is how are the engine mounting points arranged? Would one of these engines fit a cub, an Innova, or a Vox, for example?

I have a 1975 Suzuki FR70, a rare, but excellent bike. Now an upgrade to 110cc 4-speed 12-volt Yamaha power.... Hmm, sounds interesting!

Probably an Innova with a dead engine could be modified fairly easily if, like me, you enjoy two strokes. (Okay, Okay, I admit it; I've got an MZ TS150!).

My Peugeot Vox with 2,500 miles on it shouldn't need a heart transplant for a while. Anyway, much food for thought, and thanks again for posting.

Regards to all, Mick.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.

Post by Newtsalad » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:45 pm

mickb wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:37 pm
Hi Newtsalad, how are the engine mounting points arranged? Would one of these engines fit a cub, an Innova, or a Vox, for example?anks again for posting.

Regards to all, Mick.
Hi Mick, thanks for the heads up on these, they are indeed an adventure, and at worst I'll get them registered for a 'His & Hers' :lol:

Regards engine mounts and Cub fitting.... They are autolube, and to keep that feature you would need to mount an oil tank.

gtd65
Rides:: '14 Super Cub 110cc, '83 Suzuki GS450GA & '86 Suzuki GSX-R750G, Kawasaki Zephyr

Post by gtd65 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:01 am

Jumping in to see how this pans out... :mrgreen: