Quick Intro from Nottingham

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
rus3G
Rides:: Looking for my first Bike....... 85 Civic Auto........ MGF......

Quick Intro from Nottingham

Post by rus3G » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:56 am

At the age of 30 my mother has finally decided to give up the fight to keep me off a bike, So here I am.......

The names Rus, and i'm based in Nottingham, My current automotive pride and joy is a 1985 Honda Civic Auto which is not the most standard example around but i'd rather she were on the road than crapped because I can't get th e OE parts....... My daily drive is one of the first MGFs which takes alot more keeping on the road than the Honda, but is a lot cheaper to get bits for :D

So As far as bikes go, I've never riden, this is owing to the fact that my familly where deep in the racing scene in the 60s and 70s and my Dad was not everso good at staying on his bike, so my brother and I where banned from riding for fear that we inheried my dads sense of balance ;) I'm looking to start off with a C90, but I want to do a body up rebuild. My Idea is to keep the mechanics standard (no one should question the wisdom of Honda on these matters) but to do something a little interesting with the look of the bike, I'm aiming to have Vespa and Lambretta owners looking in envy :twisted:

What i'm really not sue about is how much of a project do I buy in the first place :?: I could buy a frame and build the hole thing up from scratch but I will then have to put it through an SVA, is that going to be a total pain? I could get one of the many bikes that have been sat in a shed for the last 300 years and then look at getting a new V5, but I have no Idea how dificult that is? Or I could pay a bit more and one that has all the paperwork and just wants a clean up, but I feel like I maybe robbing someone of a nice standard bike doing that....... Really not sure on where to start!

Well thanks for reading my 'not so' quick intro, and advice would be more than welcome.

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Re: Quick Intro from Nottingham

Post by Leiba » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:32 am

Welcome to the mad mad world of Cubs.
It's a lovely day out there and I suspect that many of our members are out there bimbling in the sunshine. But when they get back I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on the best way to approach your project. There's a wealth of knowledge to be gained from the people here, many have done all sorts of things to their Cubs and will be able to advise you on the best route to follow.
Just sit back and wait a while, they'll all get back to you soon.

sinbad72
Rides:: Honda C70 C (Blue)

Post by sinbad72 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Hello and welcome. :D. My advice would be to buy as complete a bike as you can find. You can then strip and replace any parts thats needed. Building from scratch can become expensive. Look for something with a numberplate. A V5 isn't too important if you know the reg.

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:58 pm

As Sinbad says a bike with a numberplate is better but first check that it is on the DVLA website there are a lot of custom jobs and if you look through here you will get a lot of inspiration.Honda civic ..Mgf would the honda engine fit? I thought that a rover 75 diesel would be nice in the mg as it is a bmw one and can be chipped.As for scooters and cubs we have the scooter rally over here every year with the odd cub thrown in to remind them what they are missing :lol: Anyway welcome to the mad mad world of cubs..
My cub at the 2011 scooter rally ryde seafront..

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi, and welcome! :D
rus3G wrote:I could buy a frame and build the hole thing up from scratch but I will then have to put it through an SVA,
You won't need to do an SVA if it's built around a standard frame.
getting a new V5, but I have no Idea how dificult that is?
If you've got frame number (VIN) and the reg number, it's just a case of sending off £20 to the DVLA.
If you don't know the reg number, you'll need a dating cerififate from Honda or the Honda Owners' Club, then £55 for a new age-related registration. This is easier done to a standard looking bike, as the DVLA like to inspect it, and may argue for a Q-reg if it looks like it's made from parts of different years (but don't tell them anything they don't need to know! ;) ) .

rus3G

Post by rus3G » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks for the advice and the welcome guys, I may just see what comes up when I've planned my project out. Not so worried about the cost of the project as getting the right age and look to the bike, And having a giggle while i'm doing it :D

As for the Honda Engined MG I will be looking to see if i can squeeze a Vtec into the back at some point :twisted: Not sure how big the BMW unit is but I think it's on the same Accord gear box so it shouldn't be to hard if there's enough room ;)

This is my Civic,

And this is a little Suzuki CL50 that I built and then realised that it was far to small for a guy of 6ft to ride without looking totally daft :shock:

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Daft .... :lol: lots of us are 6 foot plus and must look realy daft ...no we are the sane ones its the sunday moring power rangers who are daft.But I would like a diesel sports car... an audi r18 would do very nice... BM diesel could be chipped to 180bhp and 419nm torque..

rus3G

Post by rus3G » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:04 pm

I've sat on a Cub and I'm all good, The problem with the little Suzi was that it had a seat hight of something like 40cm,

I like the idea of the torquie diesel, but I'd be suprised if the saving on the fuel would be worth it, I get a good 40mpg out of the 1.8 and I live in the middle of Nottingham, so I have a good bit of town driving every time I go out.......

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:43 pm

Oh yes, you'll need a Cub for town driving ..... or riding :D nothing quicker through London apart from maybe a pushbike but then a pushbike with me on it would be very slooooooooooooooow hahahahaha

rus3G

Post by rus3G » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:03 pm

I've only one pushbiked to work, and the bike is still there, It's far to hilly and too many busses! That said the last couple of times i've been into london I thought I was going to die and that was in the Civic :-)

I'm really aining for something that will be a bit of an all rounder and I figure it won't get any better than a Cub :-D