Hi there

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
simon3314
Rides:: honda c50

Hi there

Post by simon3314 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:50 am

Hello I'm new to the Forum. I bought a 1982 Honda C50 LA last year. Iv'e had as a side project just doing bits here and there (aquiring new log book, new tyres etc.). I took the oppurtunity to jetwash and heavily underseal under the rear wheel arch which was in good nick anyway.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qlLe ... %25201.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qrv_ ... %25202.JPG

The photo's show it without the leg guard which I have. I also have a couple of nice mid and rear chrome racks and a white back box to fit. I like the idea of fitting a windshield too.

The leg guard is off because the bike is giving me a hard time with running properly. I got half way to an MOT the other day and it started playing up. I'm a mechanic of sorts so spent a good day on it yesterday, stripping the carb again checking the jets and float level etc. On the test ride after 5 minutes of running around the block it would start running erratically with high tick over or have dead spots or start chasing.

Any advice would be welcome and I haven't really carried out a proper inspection of the electrics yet.

But on the whole I'm happy to take it to someone who knows the C50 LA like the back of their hand and get them to sort the problem, followed by a fine tuning so that I can get on my way. I was ready for my 'years of reliabilty' and at present it's driving me nuts! I'm having to catch the tube everywhere. I'm based in London (elephant and castle).

So if there's any Cub wizards near to me that want a bit of work please get in touch... Cheers... Simon

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Re: Hi there

Post by Boo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi, and welcome! Looks a very solid bike you've got there. :D
Regarding the running.. It sounds like either an air leak or fuel starvation after some time running. Check the fuel tank cap vent isn't blocked, and blow through the fuel pipes backwards to check there's no blockage.

I'm wondering about the thermostatic device fastened to the cylinder head. These were only ever fitted to the C50LA, and having never owned one I'm not entirely sure what it does!.. .I'm sure an LA expert will be along to suggest if it can be that at fault or not.

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Welcome to the Club Simon. :D
simon3314 wrote: I'm based in London (elephant and castle).
Ah Ha! Me to :) Wally Rd.

Sadly I don't know a great deal about stuff ....... apart from beer, I can tell you a few things about that.

simon3314

Post by simon3314 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Boo wrote:Hi, and welcome! Looks a very solid bike you've got there. :D
Regarding the running.. It sounds like either an air leak or fuel starvation after some time running. Check the fuel tank cap vent isn't blocked, and blow through the fuel pipes backwards to check there's no blockage.

I'm wondering about the thermostatic device fastened to the cylinder head. These were only ever fitted to the C50LA, and having never owned one I'm not entirely sure what it does!.. .I'm sure an LA expert will be along to suggest if it can be that at fault or not.
Hi there yes it's lovely example and I will post more photo's once it becomes my vehicle and not a headache :D . It seems to be getting enough fuel. No matter which way I set the carb screws I'm always ending up with sooty deposits on the spark plug (unburnt fuel). The device is an economy an economy control unit. Maybe this is at fault. If other cub models weren't fitted with this then I could try disconnecting it and plug up the holes and see if that has any effect.

thanks for the welcome.. Simon

ayjay
Rides:: honda c90 ,x reg

Post by ayjay » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:00 pm

there might be a diaphram inside that economy device thats leaking , have a look under the cover maybye, or try changing the condesor on the coil as it may be breaking down after a while

simon3314

Post by simon3314 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:46 pm

ayjay wrote:there might be a diaphram inside that economy device thats leaking , have a look under the cover maybye, or try changing the condesor on the coil as it may be breaking down after a while
Hi ... Thanks for the tips...I'm trying to locate the condenser. The C50 LA is a magneto system as you are most probably aware. Iv'e just ordered a new complete stator assembly off of ebay at 10.99!! (thanks to this webste). I have taken the battery out and located the coil but I don't have the means to test it. Is the condenser tucked in even more towards the fuel tank? I unplugged two wires from the coil. Do you know if the condenser on the other end of that wire?

I'm renwing the electrics now because all of a sudden I lost the spark. I carried out a check and there's a very weak spark which will jump to earth but not across the spark plug electrode. Condensers are cheap as chips so if the C50 LA has one then I need to renew it. Iv'e located a new coil but I'm looking at coughing up 50 quid for one of them so I'm going to look for cheaper deals before buying that.

Cheers.... SImon

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Do you need a 50 cc auto or can you ride a bigger bike? 90 cc with a CBT would be a lot more fun I know someone near you who has a nice engine.I was there yesterday and bought a very nce screen.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 9684_n.jpg Link to screen :)

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:35 pm

simon3314 wrote:
ayjay wrote:there might be a diaphram inside that economy device thats leaking , have a look under the cover maybye, or try changing the condesor on the coil as it may be breaking down after a while
Hi ... Thanks for the tips...I'm trying to locate the condenser. The C50 LA is a magneto system as you are most probably aware. Iv'e just ordered a new complete stator assembly off of ebay at 10.99!! (thanks to this webste).
There is no condensor! The C50LA is cdi ignition, as are all 12 volt Cubs.. :)

The stator won't be at fault, that will either run or not. It can't cause your symptom, which is most certainly air/fuel related.

EDIT: Just read you lost the spark.. Cheapest coils are pitbike ones. Exactly the same CDI system as a Cub.
Before doing anything, unplug the whole ignition switch and try kicking it over.. The switches can fail with kill switch contacts closed, so stopping a spark.

simon3314

Post by simon3314 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:55 pm

wightegi wrote:Do you need a 50 cc auto or can you ride a bigger bike? 90 cc with a CBT would be a lot more fun I know someone near you who has a nice engine.I was there yesterday and bought a very nce screen.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 9684_n.jpg Link to screen :)
Hi .... Having the cub 50 is partly due to my pre 2001 or pre 1997 Car Licence. I can drive lorries and and 50cc scooter also with a pillion passenger without having to do any further tests. I have been driving around London for years in lorries or on other scooters and mountain bikes so I feel comfortable with the responsibility.

The cub is one of very few 50 cc scooters that is designed to take a pillion passenger and can that actually perform that task too.

Otherwise to 'give a mate a lift' etc I would have to do CBT followed by attaining a full bike licence!

And i'm not really into bikes in that context I just need a little runaround.

simon3314

Post by simon3314 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Boo wrote:
simon3314 wrote:
Hi ... Thanks for the tips...I'm trying to locate the condenser. The C50 LA is a magneto system as you are most probably aware. Iv'e just ordered a new complete stator assembly off of ebay at 10.99!! (thanks to this webste).
There is no condensor! The C50LA is cdi ignition, as are all 12 volt Cubs.. :)

The stator won't be at fault, that will either run or not. It can't cause your symptom, which is most certainly air/fuel related.

EDIT: Just read you lost the spark.. Cheapest coils are pitbike ones. Exactly the same CDI system as a Cub.
Before doing anything, unplug the whole ignition switch and try kicking it over.. The switches can fail with kill switch contacts closed, so stopping a spark.
Ok thanks for that. I presume you have to bridge the ignition contacts to connect the circut? The best I can achieve with the ignition on and with indicators/brake light working fine, is a weak thin orange spark that can only be achieved by making it jump a gap from the plug to the engine block but there's is no way of achieveing a blue arc between the plug electrodes either touching or away from the block.