chain sprocket bearing on engine

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
jimfritz59
Rides:: Honda C50, C70, C90

chain sprocket bearing on engine

Post by jimfritz59 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:47 am

how hard to cange the drive
chain sprocket bearing on my 1973 c50 engine?

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Re: chain sprocket bearing on engine

Post by Boo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Output shaft bearing is an engine apart, split the crankcases job I'm afraid. Not so bad if you're mechanically able and have the Haynes manual to hand.

jimfritz59

Post by jimfritz59 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:37 pm

OK many thanks I will have a go some time is it normal to have a bit of play in that bearing?

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:27 pm

You sure the bearing's got play? The sprocket is a very loose fit on the shaft, so it self-aligns with the rear sprocket. This can look like shaft play if you don't know it's supposed to be like that! ;)

My apologies if you know that and have already confirmed it's output shaft play. I would expect a failed bearing to be accompanied by noise from badly meshing gears, and a sizeable oil leak though, if it's not doing those, it's not too bad!

jimfritz59

Post by jimfritz59 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Boo wrote:You sure the bearing's got play? The sprocket is a very loose fit on the shaft, so it self-aligns with the rear sprocket. This can look like shaft play if you don't know it's supposed to be like that! ;)

My apologies if you know that and have already confirmed it's output shaft play. I would expect a failed bearing to be accompanied by noise from badly meshing gears, and a sizeable oil leak though, if it's not doing those, it's not too bad!
well i have took the sporocket off and there was still a fair bit of play but not had any noise as of yet but not took the bike out on the road yet had a go up a alley way and no oil leaks from the sprocket maybe not to bad yet !! thanks for your info all the same.