Newbie on a mission

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
DRAG90
Rides:: Landspeed 180 and 300cc C90ZZ, BSA, XL500, DUCATI/KTM 660, KTM 500MX

Re: Newbie on a mission

Post by DRAG90 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Nice job Jules, and best of luck 8-)

Jules65
Rides:: Honda C50, Honda CD175, Honda 400/4

Post by Jules65 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Cheers for the replies fellas.

The issue is the missing frame number and the guy who has it at present re the MOT believes it has had a re-frame hence there is no number. Without the frame number he can not MOT it and I can not complete the form V62 (Bit of a catch 22 situation).
The suggestion made by the guy at the garage is that I join/apply to the Honda Owners Club and obtain all the history (birth certificate so to speak) so that they can tell me what the frame number was and then using that information he can do the MOT stating that the frame number can not be found but a letter of authentication has been provided.

I was aware that the bike still showed up on the DVLA web site when I got it as the previous owner gave me a copy/print what was showing.
The engine number is C50E-523758, but the number on the other side of the frame to where the frame number should be is 60707 which is not how the frame number should be.

I am too far into the bike financially (the wife aint happy) and I have been told I have to sell it after doing the charity ride :( .

I dont have many pictures of the re-build but I did take these;

and this video with the spare engine in when I first got it running again.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v679/ ... V03400.mp4

The rebuilt engine needs to be well run in before I do the 100 mile ride as it was fully stripped and degreased having all parts taken as far apart as possible to ensure no old crud was in it. The crank has been re-ground, new pin and con rod, new main bearings, new (original NOS) piston and rings (sized to the rebore), new valves (both have been lapped in) and new clutch plates. With polished side casings for a bit of bling.

But all the work is useless if the DVLA wont let me register it :evil:

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:54 pm

Jules65 wrote: (the wife aint happy) and I have been told I have to sell it after doing the charity ride :( .
I sympathize, I really do :roll:
I also know roughly how much your project cost. But this bike is three things (maybe more!) 1, it's a great bike. 2,it's a bit of history preserved, 3, it's an investment.

Point 3 means don't sell, there could not be a worse time ...... if you can afford to keep it, I would. ....... that's my take on it. It's your call though. :? or should I say your wife's call :lol: :oops:

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:31 pm

Jules65 wrote:Cheers for the replies fellas.

The issue is the missing frame number and the guy who has it at present re the MOT believes it has had a re-frame hence there is no number. Without the frame number he can not MOT it and I can not complete the form V62 (Bit of a catch 22 situation).
The suggestion made by the guy at the garage is that I join/apply to the Honda Owners Club and obtain all the history (birth certificate so to speak) so that they can tell me what the frame number was and then using that information he can do the MOT stating that the frame number can not be found but a letter of authentication has been provided.
No. Absolutely, definitely, 100% NOT!

Your MOT guy is exceeding his remit. Tell him, MOT the bl@@dy thing on the frame number on the frame, or find another MOT tester.

It's not for him to pontificate the legitimacy of the frame number, that's between you and DVLA.

And you don't need the MOT, to get the V5.

Furthermore Honda Owners Club do not have access to DVLA records, there's no magic wand there. If you have the frame number, they'll confirm what you have. Just possibly, if you have an engine number, they might, just might, be able to correlate that to a range of frame numbers, but no more.

Just get the application in on the data you have, and take it from there, there is no other option, and no other choice. :ugeek:

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:31 pm

^ Aye. A VIN isn't even a legal MOT requirement on vehicles registered before circa 1980. (not sure exact date)

Jules65

Post by Jules65 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:25 pm

It would appear my analagy of what the MOT man said was wrong. He just needs a certificate to say it was built in 1972 and then he can MOT it and state that the frame number can not be found.

I rang DVLA today and was informed to submit the V62 with an accompanying letter and they will contact the local DVLA office to me who will then assign an examiner to contact me and arrange a date I can take the bike to them so as to examine it. Then they will decide if I can register it............ This will take 6 to 8 weeks and I am supposed be riding it 1000 miles in 79 days and it still needs running in :evil: .

Jules65

Post by Jules65 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:11 pm

A friend has got a computer check done on the bike by some HPi gency that checks if vehicles are stolen or have outstanding finance. As a result I now know that the engine number is the correct one on the DVLA records and that the bike has had one owner from new. I have also been informed that the frame number is/should be 033544.

Now as I have not been able to speak to the person who carried out the HPi check in person and I have only been able to get a copy of the print out, my question is as follows. On the print out the engine number is shown as 523758 where I know the actal stamping on the casing reads C50E-523758. So does this mean the stamped frame number should read C50E-033544 where as on the print out of the HPi report it is just the numbers 033544.

And joing the Honda Owners Club does not appear to have helped as I have been pointed by them towards the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Club!

Cubster
Rides:: Honda C50 '67, C50 '76, C50M '73 & Yamaha XJ900S '96

Post by Cubster » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:01 pm

Hello!

Another Yorkshireman riding a C50 on the JOGLE then?

:D

Jules65

Post by Jules65 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Cubster wrote:Hello!

Another Yorkshireman riding a C50 on the JOGLE then?

:D
Yes.................. If I can get it registered and then taxed that is ;)

Jules65

Post by Jules65 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:36 pm

Well folks I am now on the road and took the bike for it's first run.................... I really forgot how slow and under powered a 50cc bike is and to be fair pulling out of junctions is scary and going up hills is a real pain.

So what would happen if I was to fit a C70 cylinder head onto the 50cc engine I have and would I have to fit a C70 carburettor too so as to improve the performance.
The barrel has to be 50cc to keep within the spirit of the charity ride so I can not alter it or the piston.

I have placed an advert in the classified section.
buysell/single_ad.php?ad_id=47