Newbie on a mission

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Jules65
Rides:: Honda C50, Honda CD175, Honda 400/4

Newbie on a mission

Post by Jules65 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:51 pm

Hello,

I purchased a 1972 C50 in June 2011 with the intention of riding it from John O'Groats to Lands End in 2012 so as to raise money for a childrens cancer foundation.

Anyway I have gone from this

enduring all of this

stripped and cleaned up this

so it looked like this

and I now have this

My son thinks its great (the spare engine was fitted)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v679/ ... V03405.mp4

But I can not get it MOT'd at the moment. I bought it without a V5 (I have a bill of sale) but there is no frame number where it should be and as such it is not coming up on the DVLA database. Having had the bike stripped to bare metal I know there was no number under the paint where it should be stamped, but there is a 6 digit number on the other side of the frame (above the engine so it is visible like where you would expect a frame number to be) but without a frame number the DVLA recognises I am at a dead end.

So I am looking for advice so as to get the bike on the road and run it in before April.

sinbad72
Rides:: Honda C70 C (Blue)

Re: Newbie on a mission

Post by sinbad72 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:03 pm

You have the reg number. Im sure that you have to mot it first then regester at the DVLA. But wait for confirmation from someone else on here who is more in the know. Im sure it wont be a big problem though. Its looking great btw. Welcome :D.

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:11 pm

First of all welcome to the Club. :D I'd have loved to follow this in 'Projects' around June time. What a great job you've done. Amazing standard. :geek: Good job the lad didn't kick it into gear! haha.
Jules65 wrote: but there is a 6 digit number on the other side of the frame (above the engine
Surely that's the number! That's where it should be! later bikes had it on the other side and later still on a pop riveted plate. You've got the reg, does that not help any?

Wow, what a bike though! needs to be on the road. :? Anyone else with a better understanding of VIN ?

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Click to enlarge. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1612

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:14 pm

That's a cracking job. Really nice.

I had a similar thing with my C200, couldn't find the frame number, couldn't sort the paperwork. I think it's why the last owner gave up on it. Fortunately I had a CT200, was able to see exactly where the number should be, Nitromoors and a jewellers loupe and it gave up it's secret.

Are you looking/expecting the number to be on the right or left side of the bike?

dread
Rides:: lamb chop, vespa cutdown. italjet dragster chopper

Post by dread » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:20 pm

could be its had a new frame any old tax with it or mots. to get index off of.

sinbad72
Rides:: Honda C70 C (Blue)

Post by sinbad72 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:34 pm

sinbad72 wrote:You have the reg number. Im sure that you have to mot it first then regester at the DVLA. But wait for confirmation from someone else on here who is more in the know. Im sure it wont be a big problem though. Its looking great btw. Welcome :D.
Sorry my post above is the procedure to do if you dont know the reg...... sort of. :oops:. Please disregard :oops:.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:43 pm

One other bit of info that might help you.....

WHen I got the paperwork for the C200 off, they wrote back asking for the frame number.... Well I'd put it on the form, so I was confused.

I got the person dealing with it on the phone, went out and read the number off the frame. She said, that is the engine number. So I gave her the engine number, and she confirmed it as the frame number!

I came clean that they were around the wrong way, and they sorted it.

Point is, they will have a frame number for the reg and the engine, it's whether they will give it to you.

I would apply for the V5 using the number visible on the frame. It just might tie up with the reg, and the engine number, who know's what may have happened in the past? If it doesn't tie in, then they might give it to you. That's the route I would take.

Beyond that, find a scrap/written off C100 frame and lift the number.

cruncherkid
Rides:: CD175

Post by cruncherkid » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:28 am

Hi Jules65, welcome to the club....beautiful job on the bike too :)

Nice straightforward one this...Your bike is active on DVLA (last on the road 1990) with the following details....

Date of Liability
01 11 1990
Date of First Registration
01 05 1972
Year of Manufacture
Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc)
50cc
Fuel Type
PETROL
Vehicle Status
Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour
NOT STATED

All you need to do is download form V62 from the DVLA website, fill it in along with your reg and frame numbers (sounds like you have located your frame number correctly just up near the top engine mount), send it along with the £25 fee and you will get your log book :)
When you are ready to tax, take your insurance cert, log book and MOT to your local DVLA office for change of tax class to 'Historic' and you'll get your tax disc for FREE :D

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Post by Boo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:17 am

CK is spot on there.. It's on the DVLA database already registered so no need for registration or any of that. You do need the frame number for the V62 form though.

Pjam wrote: That's where it should be! later bikes had it on the other side
Always on the left. (All years). Just behind the top engine nount.

If it's on the right it could have had a re-frame job - (with a brand new frame - they came blank) - at some point in its life, and been stamped then.
You can tell an original Honda-stamped number by the unusual typeface, as below. (also showing correct location exactly).

PS.. I'd set that gear lever with the split clamp pointing straight down (so the heel pedal points roughly to the swingarm pivot)
Or it'll be rather uncomfortable and inefficient to use! (unless you've got very odd ankle joints! ;) )
Kickstart looks a bit vertical too - it'll probably interfere with your foot on the peg there.. Again, split clamp should point approx. straight down..