Cub NBC 110BN Gearchange

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Devon general andy
Rides:: SH300 (2016),'88 C90MG,'94 & '95 C90P, '98 C90T & other 12v sq h.lt models.

Re: Cub NBC 110BN Gearchange

Post by Devon general andy » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:22 am

I do look after my Cubs and tend to deal with / fix problems as soon as they arise.
I tend to look at my C90 Cubs as trusty old reliable donkeys. They're not fast, a bit lumpy when just woken up and cold...... but generally, they'll plod along and always get you there.
Regarding the gearbox, as Bikerbaker pointed out, the later incarnations of Cubs have a 'rotary' gearbox set up. Meaning you can go right round:- 1,2,3,4,N,1,2,3,4,N.
This will only work when the drive sprocket is stationary (rear wheel stopped).
I would imagine your NBC is the same, you should be able to try with just the bike ticking over at home, may have to rock the bike back and forth for gears to engage... let us know.
Hope this helps,
Andy.

Paul Whitehead
Rides:: 2017 Cub NBC 110n & 1924 BSA Roundtankmn

Re: Cub NBC 110BN Gearchange

Post by Paul Whitehead » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:26 am

I took the beast out for a few kms today and I think I'm getting the hang of it. With a heel and toe gear lever I'm doing better at heel for upward and toe for downward as the movement of the lever is greater than I've been used to on old British bikes, Matchless 1953 and James 1961. I have to be careful to keep the heel slightly outboard otherwise it clouts some sort of protection panel but as I say I'm getting there. This bike does not have the rotary gearbox but I have to come right back down the lot to find neutral. I think it may be a little lower geared than some as this particular spec was destined for NZ Post and the posties on New Zealand's West Island (aka Australia) and our posties seemed to potter from box to box quite sedately.
Paul