30 years on and i'm back on a C90

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Chuggy
Rides:: 1982 C90ZZ 6V converted to 12V

30 years on and i'm back on a C90

Post by Chuggy » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:47 pm

Hello folks, I've just bought a 1982 C90 :D after about 30 years since I last rode one!
when our lads were teenagers we had quite a few and bought them for £10 -£15 quid, oh how times change :shock:

Having recently turned 60 I think I've forgotten more than I remember about maintaining them, but each time I look at different bits the old memory starts whirring, but even so I was pleased when the seller told me about this forum.
No doubt I'll have a few questions but, so far I'm happy with the bike and the things I've checked over on it so far, the only thing that really needs attention at the moment is a slightly buckled back wheel, but it looks like the spokes are adjustable? so I will look into sorting that out, and there is also a vibration through the seat that is noticeable over 30mph, whether this is connected to the iffy wheel or not I will have to find out.

Devon general andy
Rides:: SH300 (2016),'88 C90MG,'94 & '95 C90P, '98 C90T & other 12v sq h.lt models.

Re: 30 years on and i'm back on a C90

Post by Devon general andy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:40 am

Well hi and welcome to the forum.
If the wheel is quite original you probably won't be able to turn the nipples due to the corrosion?

Yes, buckled wheels can cause vibrations into the frame..... depends how much buckled?

The other thing to check is the chain. Remove the bottom 1/2 chain case, then rotate rear wheel at a steady rate. Observe how the bottom run of the chain rises and falls. If not sure, put a ruler touching the bottom of the swing arm , match up with rivets and rotate wheel. 10mm is probably getting to the limit.
This is tight / slack spots..... worn chain.
Hooked sprockets aswell? Chain lubed?
Check the engine mount bolts are tight.
On centre stand.... should be able to grab engine at head / barel area and be rock solid.

Just adding... I got whole bikes, cheap as chips, just for a couple of wheels etc. Then cut the thing up with angle grinder.... what a waste. Kills me thinking about it now.... but they were 'two a penny'.
Hope this helps,
Cheers Andy.

Chuggy

Post by Chuggy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:58 am

Thanks Andy, I've checked and the engine mounts are tight, and the chain seems to be good, the bike is in very good condition so I'm hoping the nipples will come free with a bit of persevering :lol:

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:17 am

Tighten up the swing arm bolt and check the engine mount bolts for tightness.

Bogger

Devon general andy
Rides:: SH300 (2016),'88 C90MG,'94 & '95 C90P, '98 C90T & other 12v sq h.lt models.

Post by Devon general andy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:22 am

I presume no roughness or play in your wheel bearings. Also there's a bearing in the sprocket carrier. Good luck, get some penetrating fluid on your nipples 🤣😂😀
Andy.

Chuggy

Post by Chuggy » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:57 am

I had a breakdown yestarday, lost all power, it took me awhile to find the main fuse was dodgy (checked out ok with the multimeter but didn't work when plugged in so it took some time to realise) but in investigating the fault I managed to short the battery and melted the earth lead insulation, so I replaced that then once running again I found I only had one bright indicator and two dim ones and one doing nothing, thinking it was earth related (coz the main earth melted) I spent ages checking through the wiring only to find nothing obvious, it turned out that three of the LED bulbs were faulty,(maybe they didn't like the battery shorting, or maybe they were the start of the problem) but replacing them with 12v/21W conventional bulbs fixed it thankfully.

Today between rain showers I'm hoping to grease and oil and check clearances and adjustment/tightness etc, oil change and look at the spokes on the rear wheel to see if I can get any movement on them.