Greetings all! Newbie wondering 50,70 Or 90?

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Re: Greetings all! Newbie wondering 50,70 Or 90?

Post by knapdog » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:51 am

You may want to check this out ....

Dummies guide to buying a cub:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23987

It's RUST that's the common problem. You really need to be able to view any bike you're after. Rust is prevalent under the rear arch unless the bike has been really looked after. If you can't view then ask the right questions.
I like cubs to be original.
I'm suspicious when I see different shades of colour. That £1345 bike on ebay has a different colour swinging arm. Why? Because it's probably pitted with rust and has been repainted.
When you pick up an old swinging arm you can often hear the rust flakes rattling around inside. On both the cubs I restored I drilled them snd filled them up with ACF50 before pouring back out and sealing.
The petrol tank has also been sprayed silver and the shocks are different.
But of course, the frame could be fine.
Hence you should view.
In saying that, I have travelled for cubs and bought without viewing due to the cub mileage, condition in the pics and owner's description.
You get a sixth sense whether a bike is genuine or not usually.
Good luck. Hope I haven't confused you.

Dan88
Rides:: Used to ride z400f

Post by Dan88 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:18 am

knapdog wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:51 am
You may want to check this out ....

Dummies guide to buying a cub:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23987

It's RUST that's the common problem. You really need to be able to view any bike you're after. Rust is prevalent under the rear arch unless the bike has been really looked after. If you can't view then ask the right questions.
I like cubs to be original.
I'm suspicious when I see different shades of colour. That £1345 bike on ebay has a different colour swinging arm. Why? Because it's probably pitted with rust and has been repainted.
When you pick up an old swinging arm you can often hear the rust flakes rattling around inside. On both the cubs I restored I drilled them snd filled them up with ACF50 before pouring back out and sealing.
The petrol tank has also been sprayed silver and the shocks are different.
But of course, the frame could be fine.
Hence you should view.
In saying that, I have travelled for cubs and bought without viewing due to the cub mileage, condition in the pics and owner's description.
You get a sixth sense whether a bike is genuine or not usually.
Good luck. Hope I haven't confused you.
Very good advice there, Knapdog. Thank you. It seems well loved, but the guy has a price in mind and I'm not finished my research at all, yet. Plenty of time, eh? Cheers.

BenB
The Byway Bad Boy!
Rides:: C90E gold, MSX125 and CRF1000 Africa Twin

Post by BenB » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:12 am

Dan88 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:18 am
Plenty of time, eh? Cheers.
^^^ This. Don't rush in.

As Knapdog says, this one isn't perfect. It may be good, it may be a ringer. You need the education from looking at a few. Can you get to Matlock next weekend? Lots there to look at, and plenty of knowledgeable folk.

Dan88
Rides:: Used to ride z400f

Post by Dan88 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:37 pm

BenB wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:12 am
Dan88 wrote:
^^^ This. Don't rush in.

As Knapdog says, this one isn't perfect. It may be good, it may be a ringer. You need the education from looking at a few. Can you get to Matlock next weekend? Lots there to look at, and plenty of knowledgeable folk.
Hi Benb. Next weekend is not possible as the folks are coming, but I can certainly try and head up one weekend (on four wheels at the mo, sadly😦). Are you one of many enthusiasts up in Derbyshire, then? I stumbled across that forum map the other day showing where folks are.
Are these people's own bikes as examples or are these bikes for sale that you refer to?

spikeyboy60
Jehova Empress
Rides:: 1975 RD200A-2018 Kawasaki X 300-1973 C70 1982 C90C 1982 Camino

Post by spikeyboy60 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:41 am

Just to add my two penn'orth.......an early 6volt c70 would be ideal
They go as well as a 90,use a bit less fuel and have a few extras
Trouble is finding one.....quite rare but the best of the bunch IMHO

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:48 am

Dan88 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:37 pm
BenB wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:12 am
Dan88 wrote:
^^^ This. Don't rush in.

Hi Benb. Next weekend is not possible as the folks are coming, but I can certainly try and head up one weekend (on four wheels at the mo, sadly😦). Are you one of many enthusiasts up in Derbyshire, then? I stumbled across that forum map the other day showing where folks are.
Are these people's own bikes as examples or are these bikes for sale that you refer to?
What Ben is talking about is this.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32166

The forum has 3 major meet ups each year. This year's ones are in East Anglia (that was a few weeks ago), The Peak District (next weekend) and the Isle of Wight (August.)

Next weekend you will be able to look around lots of different Cubs because lots will be gathering there.