I must be off my rocker

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
tommyardin
Rides:: Yamaha Fazer FZS600, Honda C90-G

I must be off my rocker

Post by tommyardin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:58 am

Ted.jpg
Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is Tom and I am from the South Coast of England (Hampshire)
For some reason unbeknown to me about 7 weeks ago I purchased a Honda C90-G.
I was giving a friend a hand to move and my friend was given permission to store a massive American type fridge freezer in a neighbours massive shed/barn, there in the corner of the barn stood a very sad looking Honda C90, half covered in rubbish the other half covered in cobwebs dust and general muck.
Now I'm a reasonable sort of a guy and took pity on this forlorn looking specimen.
It transpired that said Honda belong to the previous occupant of the property and the now property owner had been trying to get the Honda owner to get the thing shifted (He had been trying for almost 3 years) so I asked the question and was given the email address of the Honda owner, who from this point forward shall be known as 'Calvin'.
I got an email back from Calvin within a couple of hours say I could buy the beast but it would cost me £100, it now transpires that I know this young man and he used to play football with my son when they were puppies.
Now not wishing to rip Calvin off I suggested that he look on eBay to get an idea of what theses little babies are making, I told him that bikes in this sort of condition were going for 400 - 500 quid, he thanked me for my honesty and said he insisted that I have it for £100 because he knew I would treat it kindly and tidy it up a bit.
As we knew Calvin's family and not wanting to cause any possible bad feelings at some point in the future I ended up insisting that he take £200 for the Cub, we electronically shock hands on the deal and 4 days later I went over the the shed/barn to collect the bike, out in the hazy sunshine it looked even sadder that it had in the shed, leg-shields broken rear indicator dangling from the wires, puncture in front tyre, front brake seized on, chain-guard rotted through and the list goes on.
The thing that made it look the most sad was someone, who will remain nameless (because I don't want to embarrass Calvin) :lol: had hand painted the wheel rims, spokes and brake drums with matt black paint (badly).
Now I drive a Merc SLK Kompressor, my wife drives a Pug 206, this bad boy is going to have to be pushed or carried home, the wife and I set out early one Saturday morning and walked the 1.5 miles to the shed and pushed the thing home not easy with a seized front brake and puncture in the front, took us about 1.25 hours to do the 1.5 miles.
Now it's home :?: what the hell am I going to do with it? break it for spares? Turn it into a Rat Bike? ??????????
NO! I'm going to loving restore it, My winter project.
Now my shed has so much rubbish in it there is nowhere to work on the Cub, I do not own a garage, but I do own a large frame tent that we used for holidays when my children were young, tent goes up in the back garden (neighbours all pointing at me taking the p__s) 18mm plywood floor goes down, work bench constructed, two extention leads run from the shed to the TED.
Now my daughter, again taking the P--s out of her old Dad said its a cross between a tent and a shed so she named my very comfortable workshop a TED, well Ted has a WiFi extender in there and a 2 kilowatt electric fan heater, MP3 Player piped through speakers.
Ted has been my main residence now for a good few weeks and the little Cub had undergone a full restoration, well almost, I should be firing the C90 up in the early part of this week, maybe tomorrow.
I have done the full monty on it, stripped to the last nut and bolt, so many photos taken to assist with the rebuild.
My best mate 'Wildplum' has a sand blaster and every thing that could be blasted was blasted, now I never realised that a sand blaster shifts rust like I would never have believed, all the metal work came up slightly matt silver, I have done a full respray and engine rebuild, New clutch plates, new bushes and pins on the front forks, new rear shockers, new tyres and tube and tapes, all new cables, new ignition switch and steering lock, front sprocket and locking tab, the list goes on.
I also spent hours upon hours removing all the white powdered lacquer on the clutch cover and stator/sprocket cover with different grades of wet & dry paper and finished them off to a mirror like finish with Solvo (There are other metal polishes).
The wheels and hubs were striped of all the grotty matt black paint with a chemical paint stripper, to be honest the matt black paint had actually saved the rims from rusting to much, so a fine wire wool rub with Solvo and they are certainly fine and the hubs have come up perfect.
So my little Cub has a new lease of life, I will be insuring it this week and getting off to 'A Force Motor Cycles' of Aldershot (Who I thoroughly recommend) for an MOT, then tax the baby Honda.
Now I am going to say something that will upset some of you, I am actually a Yamaha man :roll: My main bike is a Fazer FSZ600 Foxeye 2003 (The last of the decent Yamaha carbed 600's) My Fazer is a beautiful bike with lots of stuff done to it to make it even better than Yamaha made it, it now sports a Nitron R1 rear mono-shock, Cartridge Emulators and Ohlin linear springs to the front forks, it handle like a sports bike but is a comfortable sports tourer, torquey motor with lots of mid range grunt. 0-60 in 3.5 secs and a top end of 143 mph. I think I am going to learn some patience riding the Cub :lol:.
I think that just about covers my introduction to this forum, Oh! wait on 'HELLO'
The pic of the Cub was taken yesterday morning and it has moved on since then.
The second pic is my true love (But don't tell the wife)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: I must be off my rocker

Post by wightegi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:40 pm

Welcome to the club and life in the slow lane . Whereabouts are you ? I am on the Isle and we have a meeting over here in August and you can bring as big a tent as you like :lol: .
We all have a few other bikes..just look at the member profiles ;) .
Around town and on the small back roads the Cubs are as quick as anything and there were a surprising number at the Dragon this year .

onittino3
Rides:: Honda C90, Honda Cb500x

Post by onittino3 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:06 pm

Welcome, Tom.

Loving the Ted 8-) ...theres a few of us around in Surrey, Sussex and Kent, im near Reigate, we are having a little local gathering and ride out on the 25th of March starting at Rykas Cafe, should be about 10 of us, come and say hello and join us for the ride :D .

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32477

Thanks Terry

barker
Rides:: t80 honda90 nexus honda xr honda sh loncinyamaha vigaro 53suzukiaddress5

Post by barker » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:20 pm

did nt it scrub up well,,welcome to the forum

Biker Paul
Rides:: Kawasaki W650 Honda 250 Honda C90

Post by Biker Paul » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:34 am

DONT GO TO ANY WEEKEND MEETS........I went to one and have been totally hooked ever since! The IOW is a cracking w/end and we usually get a bit of discount on the ferry, I go down from near Oxford sometimes with Fatboytours so if you fancy it we could meet and ride down together

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:29 am

Falling off bikes is optional hey Paul :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Viper254
Rides:: C70C (12v) (1983), Suzuki Inazuma 250 (2016)

Post by Viper254 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:35 pm

Really nice restoration job! I'm impressed :)

If someone leaves a bike in a barn for a few years, I think you were kind to even give them the £100!

I inherited a scooter in a house I rented a few years ago, just wrote off to the DVLA and it became mine :)

Yamaha did actually make an (arguably better) version of the Cub if you're interested...

Also, I love the colour, and now I want a large frame tent! :)

Biker Paul
Rides:: Kawasaki W650 Honda 250 Honda C90

Post by Biker Paul » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:28 am

wightegi wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:29 am
Falling off bikes is optional hey Paul :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
If theres enough interest I may stage a repeat performance this year Mick!!

tommyardin
Rides:: Yamaha Fazer FZS600, Honda C90-G

Post by tommyardin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:18 am

Cheers for the welcome guys.
The Cub is now completed and was insured on Wednesday morning, MOT Weds afternoon but got back home to late and missed the Post office to tax it that day, I found out you can not tax a vehicle online if it has a Sorn Statement on it.
Anyway I taxed it Thursday and have done about 60 miles on it since, I think the first thing I need to do is new pot and piston she is a bit piston slappy and on giving it the beans after deceleration it clouds out loads of blue smoke.
I have been told that there is a Chinese 110cc pot and piston that should fit, apparently it give about 5% power increase, now 5% of very little equals very, very little and I am wondering if it is worth doing, maybe I will stick to the 85cc pot, its a 1989/1990 C90-G.
The gearbox is strange, its seems that you can get 1st either way you tread the rocker provided you have completely stopped (That' weird)

I must say its fun to ride and it certainly turns heads, I have already has two bikers fly by me then slow down and allow me to catch up, then they parted and let me pass between them, I got grins all round and a thumbs up, they the flew by me again and slowed once more they parted again but this time they had swapped sides so the each got to see both sides of the bike. Great crack.
what are the longest distances that any of you have done on one of theses babys.
Oh by the way my Honda C90 is now called TED my daughter's idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:49 am

Great restoration.
....... and it's blue!
Tidy darts.
Croeso.