Hello, I'm new - Vietnam to Germany on a Honda Cub C50 ('98)

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
doyouvagabond
Rides:: Honda Cub C50 (1978)

Hello, I'm new - Vietnam to Germany on a Honda Cub C50 ('98)

Post by doyouvagabond » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:37 am

Hey there,

I just stumbled across this forum and it seems like a wise idea to become an active member - as there are big plans ahead!

I'm a 27 years old German, currently living in Vietnam. I recently bought a 1998 Honda Cub C50 and I'm simply loving it. My bike definitely needs some maintenance and it sometimes gets quite sketchy. I already had an amazing trip from Ho Chi Minh to the Cambodian border and back (Visa run) without any problems. However, I already have/had some issues:
  • my crankshaft broke when I tried to start it (already got welded)
  • rear left indicator fell off after missing to see a bumb at night
  • engine leaks oil a
  • front breaks are weak
  • handle bar and mirrors are loose
  • gearbox and chain needs to be checked (weird noises)
So yeah, as you can read, there's a lot of work ahead. I also want to install a top case and saddle bags (solid ones to lock), an additional gas tank for extra range among other things. Even though I have some background in fixing and tuning scooters (Yamaha Aerox, Aprilia SR50) I know nothing about Honda Cubs. I'm eager to learn as much as possible with your help and I can't wait to get started.

On 21st of April (after I submitt my Bachelor's thesis), I want to do a test run through Cambodia. During that trip I want to learn the basics. I will mainly sleep in a hammock and get a feeling for camping and my bike. Once I'm back, I'll fully disassemble my bike to see what tools I need and to prepare myself for times on the road when no mechanics are around. It's going to be difficult, but I'm willing to put in the effort needed. After that, I'll do all necessary modifications, start saving money to prepare for the big trip: Vietnam to Germany. I guess, I'll be ready to head off at the end of 2018.

This is an exciting experience and I'm more than happy for any kind of tips!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mank Twain

Cheers,

Nils

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: Hello, I'm new - Vietnam to Germany on a Honda Cub C50 ('98)

Post by wightegi » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:55 pm

Welcome Nils .Are you in Ho Ch Min city ? I am sure our member AE86 lived there ,how ever his videos on how to build these engines are very good and worth watching. Honda generator tanks are good for adding extra range 6l would give over 200km plus the standard tank. There are pictures of bikes fitted with these tanks on here so have a look around.
Ed march did a similar trip a few years back so it may be good to look at his write up ,I will see if I can find it :) .
Keep us up to date with your progress and keep posting and above all else take lots of photos of your journey for a big write up at the end.

upnorth62
Rides:: Z50A resto-build

Post by upnorth62 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:59 pm

Hi Nils, Welcome to the forum. :)

PhilB
Rides:: C70zz, C90zz, S65, Tiger 955i

Post by PhilB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:02 pm

Welcome, and nice looking bike!!
Happy and safe riding :D

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:39 pm

Yes, welcome!

Bike looks great. As Wightegi says we need pictures.

My son has just landed in Hanoi, he has been given the same instruction!

Front brake? If the cable and drum are in good condition a good upgrade is a set of EBC grooved linings. :D

doyouvagabond

Post by doyouvagabond » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:52 am

wightegi wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:55 pm
Welcome Nils .Are you in Ho Ch Min city ? I am sure our member AE86 lived there ,how ever his videos on how to build these engines are very good and worth watching. Honda generator tanks are good for adding extra range 6l would give over 200km plus the standard tank. There are pictures of bikes fitted with these tanks on here so have a look around.
Ed march did a similar trip a few years back so it may be good to look at his write up ,I will see if I can find it :) .
Keep us up to date with your progress and keep posting and above all else take lots of photos of your journey for a big write up at the end.
Yes, I'm in Ho Chi Minh. I'll definitely take a look at those videos and the tanks, thanks a lot! I only saw Ed's Videos in Alaska, I'll check out the rest as well.
upnorth62 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:59 pm
Hi Nils, Welcome to the forum. :)
PhilB wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:02 pm
Welcome, and nice looking bike!!
Happy and safe riding :D
Thank you :)
bikerbaker wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:39 pm
Yes, welcome!

Bike looks great. As Wightegi says we need pictures.

My son has just landed in Hanoi, he has been given the same instruction!

Front brake? If the cable and drum are in good condition a good upgrade is a set of EBC grooved linings. :D
I'll take a look at these!

I appreciate the warm welcome. It's good to see that this forum has many amazing people. I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers, Nils

AE86
Rides:: Honda Dio 4T

Post by AE86 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:36 am

wightegi wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:55 pm
I am sure our member AE86 lived there ,how ever his videos on how to build these engines are very good and worth watching.
That's me, however I lived about a few hours outside of Ho Chi Minh City myself. My wife however has lived in HCMC, the metro area itself.

For the generator tanks, the only ones you'll find are from cloned GX270 versions, and their quality is very up and down. Same for spares in Vietnam too, quality can be very suspect.

Sounds like fun, good luck on your preparations.

doyouvagabond

Post by doyouvagabond » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:09 pm

AE86 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:36 am
That's me, however I lived about a few hours outside of Ho Chi Minh City myself. My wife however has lived in HCMC, the metro area itself.

For the generator tanks, the only ones you'll find are from cloned GX270 versions, and their quality is very up and down. Same for spares in Vietnam too, quality can be very suspect.

Sounds like fun, good luck on your preparations.
Thanks, good to know. I looked for your videos that "wightegi" mentioned, but most of them are unavailable. However, I think I found your YouTube channel with a lot of good videos (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh14cq ... -ew/videos). I'll check them out soon, they look quite promising! Thanks a lot!

AE86
Rides:: Honda Dio 4T

Post by AE86 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:19 pm

Yes, that's me. Any questions in the future, you can ask on the forum or comment on the channel.

doyouvagabond

Post by doyouvagabond » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:37 am

AE86 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:19 pm
Yes, that's me. Any questions in the future, you can ask on the forum or comment on the channel.
Thank you so much. I atually love your videos. I watched a couple of them already and I'm so happy I have them for guidance. I'd love to pick your brain, so I'll shoot you a message in a few days, after I will have tried to figure out some of them on my own.

Last night, I managed to bring my bike into my apartment (9th floor) and it actually fits on our tiny balcony. So, this morning I cleaned up the carburator (with the help of AE86's video), disassembled a few parts and tried to to superficially clean it. What I discovered under the drive chain cases was nasty. It probably hasn't been opened in the past 10 years. So, I'll clean that up tomorrow and then I check if the noises will disappear.

Cheers,

Nils