Clueless 1979 CF70 owner looking to find useful info on maintenance and care

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
CornishCF70
Rides:: Honda Chaly CF70 1997

Re: Clueless 1979 CF70 owner looking to find useful info on maintenance and care

Post by CornishCF70 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Thanks for the welcome everybody :)

She's gone in for a service and mot today so fingers crossed she'll be healthier when I get her back :) I'll keep you updated!!

By the way...that yellow is the colour I want to do mine (eventually) was it pricey? Bearing in mind Dippy is currently a very dark purple?

Bantamphil
Rides:: C90, BSA Bantam D1, MZ TS250, Gilera Arcore 150 and a few others

Re: Clueless 1979 CF70 owner looking to find useful info on maintenance and care

Post by Bantamphil » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:57 pm

Welcome to the world of old motorcycles. One of the previous posts fairly well covered it but I will add my bit.
The thing is when you purchase an older machine its pretty much a given that you will have to undertake whats known as "re-commisioning".
One of the curses of older machinery is rusty fuel tanks for a start and even if the corrosion is light the sediment (or rust) finds its way through the fuel system and this is made worse with smaller capacity machines as the carbs are so small with tiny jets and drillings, needless to say it doesn't take much to bung things up. The second curse is more often that not nasty wiring with numerous "repairs" by numerous owners, oh and general ignition related issues and so on and so on.
Basically you (or someone able) needs to go right through the bike one thing at a time, time spent in this way pays dividends in the long run. I bought my C90 last year and although it was in good order and perfectly usable I still sent right through it, carb clean, all cables lubricated/checked, new chain and sprockets, two new tyres and tubes, oil change, valve clearances checked, new brake shoes front and back, new front wheel bearings etc etc. And I have now covered over a thousand trouble free miles, there is always the chance of something unexpected going wrong but I can be reasonably confident that this 90 will be reliable.
If your are not up to it yourself then you need to find someone who is to get them to sort the bike out, any small friendly bike workshops in your area ?
I am in Saltash by the way, what remote part of Cornwall are you in ?
Phil