New member from Greece

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
exppii

New member from Greece

Post by exppii » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm Nick, from Greece (how original, I know :lol: ). I owned a C90 back in 1997, actually it was a UK import to Greece, some family living there shipped it to me, E 119 LAD, I still remember the registration ;)

That nice cherry red C90 was stolen a couple years later, gone but not forgotten. Since then I've changed a few bikes but I always enjoy to see a tidy honda cub on the street.

I now find myself after all these years checking out classifieds for cubs. I even daydream about swapping engines and souping it up. These are things I didn't do when I was 17, and I am thinking about doing them 20 years later! :shock:

I don't feel like laying a wrench on my liter capacity, fuel injected bike, yet I am considering buying a cub of some sort to restore it or to modify it. I am sure a psychologist would make something out of this fact ;)

I would venture a guess and say that more than 2/3 of the cubs registered at any time in Greece are still around, and the original made in Japan ones are in high demand. They are still importing chinese ones by the boatload, even Hondas made in China and Thailand. In Greece they are everywhere, and you can't find anyone that hasn't ridden one.

So, good to find you and I am looking forward to contributing!

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Re: New member from Greece

Post by wightegi » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi Nick it sounds kike you have got a bad case of Cub love . The E reg bike would have been 1987 though ;) .
There are a lot of parts available in Greece so you are in the right place :D .

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:32 pm

I think this cub, once acquired, will be going to a very good home.
:)

exppii

Post by exppii » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:50 pm

wightegi wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:02 pm
The E reg bike would have been 1987 though ;) .
That one was indeed a 1987 model, I got it in '97 and stolen in '99, that was the old one.

This time around I might go for the earlier round headlight ones, 12v though. They're still around, the restored ones are out of the question, I am waiting for a nice "barn" find. The later square headlight ones are even more expensive... There's still demand for them for inner city commuting, farmers, basically anything that doesn't involve high speeds.

We are fortunate to have a lot of parts around, you can find everything, I mean everything.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:54 pm

Lots of old Cubs and Cub-a-likes in Rhodes, too.

I like the "modern" Kawasaki Cub/Wave-ish ones. :)

exppii

Post by exppii » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:14 pm

Capitano wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:54 pm
I like the "modern" Kawasaki Cub/Wave-ish ones.
Those are the other alternative. They are well engineered, maybe not to 80s Honda standards but reliable nonetheless. They are a Malaysian Kawasaki joint venture.

The main advantage to the classic cubs is that they are more suited to higher speeds, better roadholding, better suspension,regular forks and a more modern design altogether. After all, the original (I mean made in Japan) Honda latest development was more than 30 years ago...

But I find them plasticky, they don't have the same charm as the original. This is my other (less probable) alternative, since I need something that I will be able to ride sometimes in real traffic conditions.